Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Machon Play tryouts

amother

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 9:23 pm
What can a girl who wants very badly to be in her school play, do to increase her chances of getting in, other than being calm?

I've heard from s/o in the know, that they look for girls with strong and unique personalities- extremes of all types, like very sophisticated looking or sounding or very funny looking or sounding and they make up a part for those they feel will make the play more interesting.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 10:39 pm
I went to Machon, and I tried out EVERY YEAR and I never got into ANYTHING even choir, which they say anyone could get into, I NEVER got in, and I dont have a terrible voice!!! If after trying out for everything I STILL wanted to help out, they would have me shlepp props backstage.
The Machon play is all about $$$MONEY$$$. You have to be good enough to make the school make money off the play, and if they think that ur not good enough then you either have to have pull or else you're just stuck doing the dirty work like me.
I asked my friends who were in other schools how their school goes about the play and they said that it was all about the girls having a good time and if they made money then that was a bonus.

My advice to a girl is definately try out and if you see that they dont accept you its not that big a deal cuz if you're not good enough for them they they're not good enough for you.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
I went to Machon, and I tried out EVERY YEAR and I never got into ANYTHING even choir, which they say anyone could get into, I NEVER got in, and I dont have a terrible voice!!! If after trying out for everything I STILL wanted to help out, they would have me shlepp props backstage.
The Machon play is all about $$$MONEY$$$. You have to be good enough to make the school make money off the play, and if they think that ur not good enough then you either have to have pull or else you're just stuck doing the dirty work like me.
I asked my friends who were in other schools how their school goes about the play and they said that it was all about the girls having a good time and if they made money then that was a bonus.

My advice to a girl is definately try out and if you see that they dont accept you its not that big a deal cuz if you're not good enough for them they they're not good enough for you.
Did you, by any chance, graduate in '03? I agree with everything.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Did you, by any chance, graduate in '03? I agree with everything.

I graduated in '05

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 6:28 am
It's also ego of the perfectionist "wanna-be professional" playmaster. Unfotunately lots of egos are bruised in the process.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:44 am
Its a big school and there are only 10-15 speaking parts to go around. I was in the play for 3 years and I loved it, but It was not easy to get in, and I did not get in the first year. For those who really want to be part, there is always times the school looks for fillers who don't speak, but act as human props. Doing props is A LOT of fun! Its also a way to get your foot in the door, by making yourself known.

There are opportunities, You just have to look for them.

whoami

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 1:51 pm
I went to Machon, and I was head of play in 12th grade.
I am not a major actress and cant sing to save my life.
but I always got involved. yes shlepping props, being a still prop etc. I got noticed and was in acting choir in 11th and then tech head in 12th.
ppl who feel liek everything is beneath them and dont give of themselves, cant expect to get anything back. jsut some advice. If she doesnt get in, let her volunteer for the myriads of other jobs that are available for play.
we loved it and had a total blast!

bashinda

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 8:40 pm
What's the Machon? Where is it? (sorry but just curious [: )

amother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 8:47 pm
Machon is a high school in boro park. Machon Bais Yaakov. Every year the school makes a play with the students doing all the work and the money from the tickets goes to the school.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:02 pm
This sounds so disgusting.

I agree with the poster that wrote 'unfortunately many egos get buried in the process.'

I went to Bais Rochel in Monsey and the play was all about F U N and promoting achdus. EVERYONE could get into something. for sure. they would never leave anyone out. so the plays weren't the greatest, but this is a school, not a theater company. what r trhey s'posed to be promoting?

SingALong

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:08 pm
my high school play was the hilite of the year. everyone got into something. whether choir or songdance. whatever. the school wanted everyone to be involved. some kids did scenery, costumes, lighting etc. if the didnt' want to be onstage.the school rarely made money on it.

MahPitom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 6:17 pm
In our school, the parts were picked based on your marks. Needless to say they didn’t even have to sell tickets because only the mothers nebach had to sit through it by force.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics