Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you send 'special' shalach manos to your kids teachers?
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 7:56 am
Good morning girls!

So, this year for shalach manos my boys are decorating white paper bags to put our goodies in. I found a pack of white sandwich bags at Walmart that were 50 for a dollar, and we've been spending many a relaxing evening painting, stickering, coloring, and gluing sequins on them. Each is unique, and so beautiful. We baked chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting and will add some candies or taffys or something. Inexpensive, yummy, and so so so fun!

A friend of mine was over yesterday during a bag-decorating session, and asked what I'm going to do about my boys’ rebbes and morahs. Apparently, people give much fancier stuff to their kids teachers. I've always given them the same thing our neighbors, friends and family get, but I've never been giving out somethings quite so... umm.... homemade. I suppose I could just wrap chocolate cakes with little bottles of chocolate liquor in cellophane bags for the teachers. This might be more appropriate. But the kids have been enjoying designating different ‘special’ bags for different people, and have already made bags for some of the rebbes and morahs. Can we at least use these for the preschool teachers, if not for the school aged kids’ rebbaim?

Thoughts, anyone?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:17 am
Can you just add a small bottle of wine and liquor to what was originally planned, along with heartfelt cards of thanks?

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:19 am
I usually send the same thing to everyone. I find purim to be extremely overwhelming and I need to keep things as simple as I can.

mango

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:20 am
That is so beautiful! No I would not send something different to the teachers. If your child has made something special for his or teachers then it should go to them! You do know what happens to all that cellophane (that you painstakingly wrappef to look beautiful) By the end of Purim? Yep in the garbage. It looks beautiful when you give it but a hand decorated one by the child is so much more meaningful. You can put the chocolate liquor in the paper bag. Add a note that says hand decorated for you by....
I am a teacher (preschool but I don't think that matters) and would love to get such a mishloach monos. I would actually keep that bag unlike most of the other wrappings I get...

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:25 am
I send the same thing to my neighbors and my kids teachers - but my oldest is in kindergarden. I do send my husbands rabbi something nicer, usually a bottle of wine and box of chocolates.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:43 am
We definitely do give a nicer Mishloach Manos to DH's Rosh Yeshiva and Rabbi, as well as the kids' Rebbeim and teachers. It needn't cost a fortune, but I think it's worth the few extra dollars to put in a bottle of wine and make it look more respectable. A nice handwritten card expressing gratitude goes a long way as well.

pastajuice

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:45 am
For my sons' rebbeim, I give a bottle of wine and a bar of chocolate and a personal card thanking them. For my girls' morahs, we chip in to the class MM that is organized, and I like to send a card at the end of the year thanking them. I don't give any of them our regular MM though.

debsey

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:03 am
I definitely send something nicer to rebbeim and morahs. In your situation, I'd add something nicer like a bottle of wine or schnapps and put the bottle of schnapps, the bag your kids decorated, and maybe a box of premium chocolates to a larger basket and give it that way.

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:07 am
I started making all of my MM nicer (but not $$$) a few years ago. I make a LOT (my DH is one of those people who knows everyone, so we need to have a lot on hand for all the people we run into on our route) and while I like doing fun themed MM, it was getting too hard to make enough for everyone plus nicer ones for teachers. So now I have a standard make-ahead MM that I give to everyone, teachers included (with a card and a check attached), and make fun themed ones for the kids to give to their friends.

rdmom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:46 am
I give the same ones to the teachers. They don’t need anything elaborate. All that matters is the card and if necessary a check included and that’s it.

At a certain point, all I gave was a box of chocolate and a check. They don’t need more Nosh and junk.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:51 am
I give teachers my standard Shalach Manos, along with a giftcard to a local Judaica store or to the giftcard registry. I figure with 25+ students in their classroom, they likely don't need more food from me.

das

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:52 am
Please dont sent homemade things to teachers. They go right into the garbage. Even a bar of chocolate would be more appreciated.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 1:34 pm
The past few years we just have my boys give their rebbes an envelope with a personal thank you poem and a tip. I would rather give a larger tip and no mishloach manos than spend a lot on the presentation and give less money. I'm probably the only one that does this but it became the norm for us. The kids still get to visit their rebbes on Purim which is usually their highlight of the day.

Bluesky 1

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 1:43 pm
Mm consists of food. Matonos leevyonim consists of money

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 1:52 pm
Bluesky 1 wrote:
Mm consists of food. Matonos leevyonim consists of money
we give our mishloach manos to others . The mitzvah is to give to two people . And we tip the rebbes on Purim (which is the expected where we send) instead of Chanuka.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 1:52 pm
I think that is absolutely fine, for preschools teachers that is. Its the thought that counts anyways, and clearly your children are putting lots of love and hard work into it.

justmarried:)

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 1:58 pm
I make the same special mm for everyone.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 2:02 pm
I would use the home decorated bag and give the mini chocolate cake with a nice bottle of liquor

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 2:34 pm
I would absolutely give the teachers the special child-designed bags they made! So sweet and thoughtful! But if the bag's contents are going to be very casual you might consider putting in something extra for the teacher. Or giving the kiddie bag alongside (attached to?) a nice bottle of something.

DVOM

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:11 pm
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

My 6 year old exclaimed tonight surveying at his artwork: "these are BREATHTAKING!" I'm sorry, but you just can't beat that.

We're using the bags. They are breathtaking. But I'll add a bottle of... something and a note and the (sadly kinda small) check.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics