Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
New fifteen story building in Boro Park planned
1  2  Next

Will Boro Park be harmed by tall buildings
Boro Park will be harmed by this  
 44%  [ 8 ]
Boro Park will not be harmed by this  
 55%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 18

amother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 11:48 am
Do you think this will be good or bad for Boro Park?

Boro-Park Rabbonim are vehemently against the erecti0n of a new fifteen-story apartment building on 20th Avenue in Boro-Park. The Rabbonim, specifically the Novominsker Rav whose Yeshivah is in the neighborhood, have issued many Kol Koires and Pashkevilin against the owner. They claim that by building such a large new building in the Yiddishe neighborhood it is sure to bring unwanted elements into the neighborhood.

Is it just a matter of time that tall apartment building will be built in BP to serve the housing needs of our population, so how can you stop others?

shlumzmum

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 11:53 am
who are they buildign this for?
if it's for jewish ppl only I don't c anything wrong in it especially cuz it's so hard to find appartments nowadays

Lani22

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 12:03 pm
Why does it matter if its for jewish people only. You cannot control what and where builders build!

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 12:47 pm
What is "other elements" that people are concerned a building will bring in to the neighborhood?

shayna82

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 12:54 pm
and can a aparmtnet building owner refuse to rent to someone not jewish anyay? I think not, so ....

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 12:58 pm
where in boro park? there are already arab and hispanic areas in boro park, I don't think a building will make such a difference. I would be against it because of the height, not the people it'll bring in. there's not enough sun in boro park as it is. plant some more trees and space out the buildings a bit. (this goes for flatbush as well...)

shlumzmum

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 1:00 pm
Quote:
They claim that by building such a large new building in the Yiddishe neighborhood it is sure to bring unwanted elements into the neighborhood.

unwanted elements?? what do u mean with this?

Blossom

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 1:27 pm
It will defeat the whole purpose.
Because no matter how many 15 story buildings they build it's still not going to satisfy the demand, So the only thing it will accomplish is that people will get less and less value for their money. The prices are not going to go down so instead of getting an apartment in a 3 family dwelling with some remnants of grass and a backyard shared by only 3 families they will live with tons of neighbors somewhere on the eleventh floor, no private backyard and smelling everyones breakfast, lunch and dinner. All for the same money.

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 1:31 pm
But, if people will rent there, it won't defeat the purpose, the building will be occupied.
Is the owner going to rent only to Jews? I wonder. How many apts do you think will be in a fifteen-story?

SingALong

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:04 pm
how many frum ppl aregoing to want to live above the 5th or 6th floor? I think most ppl dont use the shabbos elevator. therefore, these floors will only be rented/sold to non jews/non-frum or the few frum who would use the shabbos elevator.
hence, an influx of non-frum. if the building remained a smaller number of floors, then it would be mostly frum...that's what I heard ppl are upset about

Squash

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:26 pm
To me boro park is 'ruined' already.

in my 6 storey bldg. all I see all day is a psycho schitzophrenic dealing drugs.

the 'unwanted elements' r here already, seemingly to stay.

there's no sun, so a taller bldg won't be blocking it.

there's no air, so a taller bldg won't be in the way.

there's a whole lot of claustrophobic circumstance and this big bldg won't add to it in any major way-cuz it's here already.

sorry if I sound incoherent. can you tell I'm FED UP?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:28 pm
So maybe it'll be like most other buildings in the city. Some frum people, some not frum people. I live in a large building with all sorts of people, and we all get along really well. And we don't smell anybody's food.

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 9:51 pm
Ouch, Squash, that sounds terrible. I hope you call the police about the drugs. shock

I can see why people would be upset at a landlord inviting 9 or so stories of non-Jews. I don't think Jews would want to live in such a building anyway.

Hey, Clarissa- do you hear anyone's music? Smile Boom boom thump...

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:00 pm
Funny you would ask that. I live next door to a musician. He's soundproofed his walls but I do hear a little sometimes, and I must say, he's very talented. It's probably more pleasant for me to hear him than for him to hear me blabbing away over here, nagging at my kid to pick up his clothes.

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:02 pm
Oh, but a musician actually plays music. Smile (So nice of him to sound proof his walls.) I was talking more about rap music with sick words beating on your head all day.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:10 pm
Oh, I get what you mean. No, there are no rappers here, but there are loads of musicians. A pianist down the hall, a flutist (or is it flautist) across from him, two bass players, an classical singing instructor and someone who sings opera. Pretty classy stuff.

My musical contribution is that I sing off-key while doing dishes.

Squash

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:28 pm
GR wrote:
Ouch, Squash, that sounds terrible. I hope you call the police about the drugs. shock

If we've called once we've called a gazillion times. the entire block went to the community board meeting two weeks ago. we've tried EVERYTHING. luckily the landlord also wants this girl out and has started the eviction process which is very longwinded because she is in a rent controlled apt AND mentally unstable.

what really gets me mad is when my kids get woken up in the middle of the night (like 3:30 am) cuz she's singing on top of her lungs, when the gangsters she hangs out with use every vulgarity in front of my kids (I shudder to think of the day my kids will, ch"v, start imitating her, they already imitate the way she dances in the street), when she walks around almost totally naked, and on and on and on............................

but thanks for the sympathy.

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 11:19 am
Clarissa Very Happy
lucky, you actually have music playing, by musicians.

Squash, shock that is such a nightmare. What do the police do when they come?
Do you know you can also report your neighbors to 311? I did it in the summer. We have a wacko neighbor who looks like he's a druggie who sits outside his building all day and plays his drum. They send a policeman over to tell him people are complaining about him and they call you back within 7 hours I think to let you know what happened. He hasn't sat and played his drum since. Tongue Out
I don't know how that would help you if the police don't help, though.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 11:25 am
GR wrote:
Clarissa Very Happy
lucky, you actually have music playing, by musicians.

I am so dense. Of course you meant people playing loud, annoying rap, not actually performing music.

Can I plead exhaustion in the case of my denseness? My baby doesn't sleep, and it's making me stupid.

faigie

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 11:43 am
I liked living in my building in bp. sometimes I miss it. I liked having people around. now I have much more room, but less people around. anyway, for sure, over 6 floors no frum people will rent cuz of shabbos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics