Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Wear a snood to a store in Monsey
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:28 am
Do you go out to shopping with a snood in Monsey? Lakewood?
Yeshivish...
Just wondering if it's a normal thing to do. Coming from out of town.

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:33 am
In Monsey no one will look at you twice. I wear a snood since I hate wearing a wig unless I have to.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:42 am
It depends what
Type you are and what type of image you want to portray. What message about yourself would you like to give over? If you are very casual, I don’t care what he works thinks of me type, for sure - where a snood. But if you like to look classy or sophisticated or polished, wear a sheitel.
Yes, for those who think tichels and scarfs are regal and all that, for sure, where that too! Ultimately, it’s all about how your way of dress and presentation makes you feel about yourself. If you feel great, Good for you!

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:59 am
Amd the people who DO look at you are wishing that they felt as comfortsble in their own skin as you do so they would also be able to wear a snood to the store.

Having said that, I do understand the question because I’ve been to stores before dressed as myself and I know that the employees judged me negatively for my snood and long denim skirt. Or “worse”, in my awesomely wrapped and embellished tichel and long colorful skirt. So sad for them, I walk out and they dont get my money.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 7:59 am
I go out shopping all the time in a snood in Monsey. Even if more and more city people are moving here and the standards have gone up, I do what I like to do and not care what other people think. There are a variety of people , so it's not like you'll be the only one.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 8:09 am
I've was in all 3 and wore a snood. In bkln and monsey there is a mix of ppl it doesnt feel weird. In lkwd I stood out. Was THE only woman in snood and all seemed my type (yeshivish). I'm sure ppl will say otherwise. Depends neighborhood and store etc. Just saying my experience as a guest in all 3

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 8:28 am
I felt like I was stared at in a snood in the supermarket. Everyone else was dressed to the nines. Now when I go out casual, I wear hat sheital.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 8:34 am
It depends on your type. In Monsey you'll only see the Litvish/yeshivish out shopping in a snood. Even them it's a small percentage, it's not classy. Many chassidim from the city moved out to the area of hatzlacha grocery so there you see many turbans, as in the city everyone wears turbans/snoods to the grocery.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 8:35 am
Nobody cares.
Wear whatever you like.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:06 am
Blessing1 wrote:
It depends on your type. In Monsey you'll only see the Litvish/yeshivish out shopping in a snood. Even them it's a small percentage, it's not classy. Many chassidim from the city moved out to the area of hatzlacha grocery so there you see many turbans, as in the city everyone wears turbans/snoods to the grocery.

The only thing thats “not classy” is calling someone else’s clothing taste “not classy”. Its so judgy, theres no reason for it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
Nobody cares.
Wear whatever you like.

Other than the poster above you who declared it to be “not classy”.

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:09 am
watergirl wrote:
Other than the poster above you who declared it to be “not classy”.

I was uncomfortable. I care. I don't judge whether it is classy or not, I rather not be stared at.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:17 am
Squishy wrote:
I was uncomfortable. I care. I don't judge whether it is classy or not, I rather not be stared at.

Fine, so thats you chosing something. Not the same as someone declaring you to be not classy. I assume you arent the one doing the staring.

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:23 am
watergirl wrote:
Fine, so thats you chosing something. Not the same as someone declaring you to be not classy. I assume you arent the one doing the staring.

Of course not. I don't think staring is classy. Very Happy

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:24 am
Blessing1 wrote:

Im not chasidish, yeshivish or litvish, yet I wear a snood everywhere round town. From Evergreen to wesley kosher. From target to walmart. I was never the only one, never felt uncomfortable.

Sometimes I go shopping straight from work. Honestly, I do feel better being dressed up.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:24 am
What does saying it's not classy have to do with judging people?? It's a fact, it's not classy to go shopping in house clothes.
From my side everyone can wear as they wish, doesn't mean it's classy.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:25 am
Squishy wrote:
Of course not. I don't think staring is classy. Very Happy

Agreed!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
Nobody cares.
Wear whatever you like.

I have a Sephardic friend. Keeps a strictly kosher home, doesn't cover her hair, wears jeans. goes to the suprermarket in Monsey. She says no one bats an eye.

I wear leggings and skirts that hit the knee with a crocheted beret to the supermarket in Monsey. No one bats an eye.

The only exception I can think of is one store where the less tzniut people dress, the better the service. I think they're trying to get them out of there as fast as possible!

Maybe if you're referring to some of the snootier boutiques, that size you up based on your clothes, but I never shop in those stores anyway.

Wear what makes you comfortable.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:26 am
Momx4, in some stores you see more snoods than others. In Wesley kosher more women shop in snoods as in Rockland & Evergreen.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 9:27 am
Blessing1 wrote:
What does saying it's not classy have to do with judging people?? It's a fact, it's not classy to go shopping in house clothes.
From my side everyone can wear as they wish, doesn't mean it's classy.

A snood is not "house clothes." Its a different cultural expression of hair covering.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries