Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do people prefer to board the plane first?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:25 pm
I don't enjoy flying. I prefer to spend the least amount of time on the plane as possible. It seems airlines and passengers feel the opposite. It is considered a privilege to board the plane first. Aside from flying, aren't the seats in the waiting area more comfortable and spacious than the seats on the plane? I just read on Facebook that JetBlue is allowing families with special needs children to board ahead of everyone, including first class travelers. Great, so now a special needs child will be crammed into a tight space for even longer. Is it about insuring that you get overhead space? I doubt it. Can someone explain???

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:26 pm
To avoid trying to get on squished between between people and luggage. To have room for overhead luggage.
Is much rather settle first and be seated while the pushing and bumping happen.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

thanks

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:26 pm
I wait until last to board unless I need space in the overhead bin.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:27 pm
For a decent spot in the overhead bin.

bsy

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:36 pm
Usually for space for luggage. With a baby, I try to board last Smile

Boca00

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:36 pm
Also, on Southwest there are no assigned seats. So obviously the earlier you board the better seats you get.

SisterSix

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:37 pm
OP, I 1000% agree with you. I have never understood this either. For those who mention the bumping - it's the early boarders who are getting bumped into again and again!

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:39 pm
I board last- but I do take the chance of having to maneuver and squish my hand-held luggage into the overhead compartments.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:40 pm
When I board with kids, it takes time to settle them in their seats. Then they watch everyone else board. But I heard people want to catch more space in the overhead bin.

animeme

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:43 pm
Overhead bin, in general. It's very possible to get no space and have to check your luggage, which can add a lot of time.

For special needs families, I think it's to avoid the crush, which can be overwhelming. They can board at their own speed, without being rushed if they go slow or having to wait too long if they can't tolerate that. Then they have extra time to acclimate to their seat and surroundings. For example, the noise canceling headphones and distracting video can go on before all the people come and overwhelm. Or if it's a physical special need, there is time to not only get to the seat but also get situated, which may be complicated.

Last edited by animeme on Tue, Feb 20 2018, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

MommyM

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:54 pm
From my experience of flying with a baby, I find it easier to settle in first before everyone comes on the plane. You're juggling extra, and trying to avoid bumping into people on the way. I would assume the same would be with a special needs child, whether the child themselves need extra space, there is more to juggle bringing on board, or just for the piece of mind of the parents to have them settled before the big lines.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 9:59 pm
Overhead bin space.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 11:17 pm
Certainly the overhead space. There are also some people who just need to be first at everything.

A nice story: a woman told me that the first step to her becoming religious was that someone she knew was flying to Israel with a Sefer Torah (for which he had bought a separate seat). When the El Al boarding staff saw him in the waiting area, they all stood and boarded the man with the Sefer Torah first. She was so impressed with the honor shown to the Torah that she decided to explore further. So you never know.

pause

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 11:20 pm
To avoid being bumped off the flight in case of over-booking?

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 11:48 pm
I reserve a window seat. I prefer to board first so I don't have to climb over ppl to get to my seat, especially with my bags which I like to put under seat in front of me for ease of access during flight.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 12:06 am
I have anxiety and I'm petrified of flying. The longer I'm on the plane before take-off, the calmer I feel. It gives me time to rearrange my carry-ons for things I need for the flight, organize my space, get comfortable, etc. I practice breathing.

And yeah...definitely for the luggage space.

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 1:05 am
- Overhead bin space. I don't need lots of it, but I want my bag near me, not 3 rows down because all the space over my seat was already occupied by those boarding earlier.

- Boredom with going through the lengthy process at the airport. Security, check in, more security, passports and boarding passes in, out, in, out. Cranky kids asking, "Nu? When are we getting on the airplane?"

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 1:14 am
Depends how full the flight it but as a very frequent flyer I assess the waiting area. Full flight I fight to get on first for overhead space because I carry valuable and delicate stuff sometimes in my carry on such as laptops, Makeup etc and don’t want to have to check it in when they run out of space

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 1:31 am
Before kids, I preferred to board last. But with kids, I have children to chase down, bags to carry, toys and snacks to sort, etc. The fewer people in the aisle, the better. In the rare occasions I do fly without my children, I again like boarding near last (why sit in a tin can longer than necessary?)

moonstone

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 1:32 am
I usually board toward the end. I don't put anything in the overhead, I just carry a backpack that I put under the seat in front of me. I'm of the "why sit longer than necessary" school of thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics