Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Move or stay

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 11:30 am
I am the op of the Inwood/Far Rockaway thread. We currently live in oot and Dh has a few small gigs in the chinuch field. These are "starting jobs." We would love to stay here but who says he will ever get a proper job here. The kids are young now and we can easily move. He was offered a proper classroom rebbe job in far rockaway area. We are seriously thinking of moving there because its a great opportunity for him. Its a proper chinuch job and he can do it for the next 30 yrs and hopefully never have to look for anything else.

The problem is that the area is very expensive and going up faster than we can save so it would make sense for us to buy as soon as possible. We have around 140k in cash which is enough for a downpayment on either a small house or a fixer upper. The mortgage payments will also be hard for us but I think with both of us working and cutting back on things we can swing around 2800 a month.

Do we wait for something to come somewhere else where we can easily afford a house but who said it will...chinuch jobs are hard to come by... or do we take this opportunity because its a great opportunity for dh and just hope it all works out financially.....

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 11:44 am
Good chinuch jobs in solid, established communities are really hard to come by. I would definitely plan to take the job and work backward from there to make everything else fall into place. If you can afford a house, great. If not, start out renting, and even as you watch real estate prices go up, you'll at least be getting valuable experience while the kids are young enough to relocate.

Hopefully you'll save up more as you rent, or hear through word-of-mouth about houses going for sale in your price range once you're in the are and have contacts, and as a last resort, maybe you'll find a different neighborhood from which DH can commute. But definitely don't pass up this wonderful job offer because you can't buy immediately.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 11:50 am
Move
Take the opportunity.
I read your other thread and I would suggest moving here, renting and seeing and learning the area before you buy.
Good luck

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 11:52 am
If we don't buy right away its never going to happen, as it is we are almost priced out of the place. I already have three kids and rent on a three bedroom is going to be just a drop less than mortgage on a private house. If we move it would make the most sense to buy immediately.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 11:57 am
Move and rent. Make sure you like the area before investing. You can always buy in a satellite community and commute if you are priced out. Did you look into East Meadow and West Hempstead? I'm sure there are others too.

momnaturally

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 12:01 pm
Don't underestimate the personal growth of yourself your dh and your children. Where you live and who you live with (neighbors and shuls,schools...) have a tremendous lifelong impact on you. I know this was not your question but many times people overlook this when basing things based on parnassa. I have no idea what place is better for you oot or far rockaway. But don't forget to evaluate that. Your life,happiness and growth is worth more than money.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 12:16 pm
You can buy but do your research. You don’t know anything about the place.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 1:14 pm
Take the job. If prices are going up as you say, you can buy a starter house or a light fixer and build equity. if Far Rockaway isn't a good fit, you can sell or rent it out and move elsewhere.

Cosmetic fixers are often the best value. Paint, carpeting, and plantings don't cost that much. Look at heavy fixers (like needing electrical, plumbing, windows, etc) only if you are handy or can afford to fix it.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 2:45 pm
I really don't know OOT . But by Lakewood/Monsey/Brooklyn standards this is an opportunity of a lifetime..

If your husband is sincerely committed to chinuch, I would buy a cheap house in Plainview /N Bellmore or anywhere in Long Island and commute .

LOL Live in a cardboard box, but don't lose that opportunity...

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 2:55 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

If your husband is sincerely committed to chinuch, I would buy a cheap house in Plainview /N Bellmore or anywhere in Long Island and commute .

Are there even any jews in Plainview or N Bellmore. We looked into West Heampstead and East Meadow but decided they not for us and I dont know of any sattelite communities to Far Rockaway besides Inwood and being that Inwood is part of the eiruv its not really such a sattelite community.....

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 3:04 pm
http://www.yinb.org/

http://www.yiplainview.com/

I have spent Shabbos in both places and absolutely loved it...

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:19 pm
I don't know if this is something you'd consider but there are rabbeim here that commute from Lakewood either daily or stay over for couple days at a time but the much lower cost of living in Lakewood makes it financially worth it for them.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know if this is something you'd consider but there are rabbeim here that commute from Lakewood either daily or stay over for couple days at a time but the much lower cost of living in Lakewood makes it financially worth it for them.

Mauve... You forgot to tell her about getting her children into school in Lakewood

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 6:28 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Mauve... You forgot to tell her about getting her children into school in Lakewood

Lkwd not happening. I may be yeshivish but I dont like how everyone lives in their own box and theres too much society pressure there. Besides the commute is close to two hours each way. I need to work basically full time as a rebbe job doesnt quite cover all the bills. Dh will be exhausted and not much of a help and I cant work full time and then take care of a house and kids myself. I imagine most ppl that do the commute started out in lkwd and were settled there and then got the job not the other way around.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
Are there even any jews in Plainview or N Bellmore. We looked into West Heampstead and East Meadow but decided they not for us and I dont know of any sattelite communities to Far Rockaway besides Inwood and being that Inwood is part of the eiruv its not really such a sattelite community.....

Plainview is a MO community, very nice people but not the right hashkafa for you. When I’ve gone I was one of maybe 4 women in shul wearing a sheitel.
Did you consider bayswater? It has much more of an OOT feel and is more low key than the surrounding communities.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 7:39 pm
I know someone in Inwood. Super nice, professional, Bnei torah although not yeshivish. Black hat on shabbos. I believe though he walks to far Rockaway on shabbos because he likes the shul there he was part of when he lived there. I think you should buy there, and renovate / extend over time as needed/ possible $ wise.

Tiredwithjust2

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 10:03 pm
What about bayswater? I don’t really know the area but I think it’s nearby.

shiaeisen

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 10:40 pm
Are you seriously looking for an answer on such an important matter from a bunch of women you’ve never laid eyes on and whose names you don’t even know? This is a question for a Rov,

BH5745

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 3:21 am
Real estate prices never go up indefinitely. At some point the real estate market in virtually every community (with few exceptions such as Manhattan and Beverly Hills) experience 'corrections,' where prices fall to more sustainable levels. People who try to buy a home right now, in most communities, are trying to buy into a market near or at its top. Nobody knows when prices will 'correct,' but unless you're moving somewhere posh like Manhattan or beachfront property in San Francisco, you might be better off waiting to buy until the market takes a downturn.

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 7:46 am
I don't know if this is true of Inwood, which has only recently started to attract a large frum interest, and therefore its prices are shooting up, and likely still have a good ways to go before any sort of correction. Still, as I wrote earlier, this shouldn't be a reason for OP to avoid taking this wonderful job opportunity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating