Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning silver

lucky1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 2:55 am
they advise on the internet to clean your silver with boiling water and baking soda.
1. Is this a safe method and does not ruin your silver?
2. does the silver come out shiny?
3. How long does the silver stay shiny?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 3:13 am
OP, I have done this method many times for 925 and 800 silver and never had a problem. Items with inserted stones or silver in combination with wood and similar I would not attempt to do without checking with a professional. Also I have done this only with solid silver, not silver plated items or silver plaque. It could be OK but never tried.

WARNING: this method removes the "black" which is apparently some kind of soot which manufacturer brushes on and then polish the item. Probably to make elaborate decorations to stand out and be more visible. So this soot will be removed. If you want the black then don't do this method!

Sometimes items come out more shiny, sometimes less.

Impossible to say how long it will stay shiny. Depending on air humidity, where you store it, if you wrap it etc etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics