Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Should we ask for financial aid?

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 6:42 pm
I work in a modern Orthodox, (mostly) wealthy, religious school in the tri-state area. I receive 25% off of my kid's tuition (not including all the fees) and we are making, combined, a $210K. Should we apply for financial aid from the school? We have two school-aged kids and I literally cannot stomach the thought of shelling out $27.5K for Kindergarten and Nursery tuition...

Please be gentle with the feedback. I am particularly looking for those of you who have already received financial aid within a similar "income bracket" as myself.

perquacky

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 7:47 pm
It's 27.5k with the 25% discount? Wow, that's a lot.
I would apply. I realize there's a fee for the application that you may lose, but the worst that will happen is that they'll say no.
It really depends on the school. One Yeshiva we sent our kids to believed that families shouldn't be paying more than 10% of their income in tuition. (I think that was the number.) That school was also located in a wealthy community that we didn't live in. They were pretty generous with scholarships, and I think it may be because many families could afford to pay in full.
We were in a similar financial situation, although we have four kids. But, again, I think it's worth taking the chance and applying.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
I work in a modern Orthodox, (mostly) wealthy, religious school in the tri-state area. I receive 25% off of my kid's tuition (not including all the fees) and we are making, combined, a $210K. Should we apply for financial aid from the school? We have two school-aged kids and I literally cannot stomach the thought of shelling out $27.5K for Kindergarten and Nursery tuition...

Please be gentle with the feedback. I am particularly looking for those of you who have already received financial aid within a similar "income bracket" as myself.

You say you can't stomach the thought of paying that amount, but can you afford it? Because that's the real question. Fwiw, we make about 200k and apply for financial aid, but even with the aid we pay about 40k/year for tuition.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:

27.5 for each kid?

simcha2

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 8:07 pm
I'm a believer that paying tuition is a primary obligation (We are halachically obligated to educate our children). If you can afford it, even if it's a struggle,I think you should pay.

I personally have, and would, find it morally and emotionally difficult to accept financial aid without pushing ourselves first.

Shoshana37

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:11 pm
We have 4 kids Bh and last year I applied for financial aid with $60k income and we didn’t get anything how is this possible what am I doing wrong. My husband today said next year our kids are going to public school I’m so so upset.

Sorry don’t mean to hijack your thread .

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:25 pm
You work in the school and "can't stomach" paying tuition? Presumably you have a pretty good idea of how the kids are educated and how the staff is paid. If you still can't bear to pay for the product, perhaps you're not in the right place.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:41 pm
I don't think you'll get financial aid with that salary. However, many yeshivot have some agreement that they take some of your salary and pay tuition pre tax. I find it to be very shady but apparently there is some legal loophole.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:42 pm
If you work for this school you probably get paid pretty well as well. I doubt a school with less tuitions will pay you this well. I didn't know schools will give you financial aid but I do know that with your income you wouldn't be eligible for financial aid for college.

shanie5

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think you'll get financial aid with that salary. However, many yeshivot have some agreement that they take some of your salary and pay tuition pre tax. I find it to be very shady but apparently there is some legal loophole.

It's not shady at all. It's perfectly legal. (Heard about it through a friend, I'm not a teacher and can't do this).

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:52 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I'm a believer that paying tuition is a primary obligation (We are halachically obligated to educate our children). If you can afford it, even if it's a struggle,I think you should pay.

I personally have, and would, find it morally and emotionally difficult to accept financial aid without pushing ourselves first.

Not to nitpick..But we obligated to provide ...NOT CLUB MED..

Limud Kodesh.. Halachic Obligation..

Gym,,Science Lab..Pool.. Beautiful bldg..

Wonderful if you can afford it...

NOT HALACHIC OBLIGATION

simcha2

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:11 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Not to nitpick..But we obligated to provide ...NOT CLUB MED..

Limud Kodesh.. Halachic Obligation..

Gym,,Science Lab..Pool.. Beautiful bldg..

Wonderful if you can afford it...

NOT HALACHIC OBLIGATION

Agree, but in the school op is talking about that is the package. She can send to a chassidish or heimish Yeshiva for $4000 a year, but that it isn't what she is considering. If this is the school that she is looking at then that is the package she is choosing and she should stretch herself to pay it.

Just my 2 cents. But I think asking for financial aid because you don't feel like paying the whole amount of the school you choose (Not because you can't), is not appropriate halachically or morally.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:40 am
amother wrote:

You don’t qualify for financial aid because you like a fee schedule.

However, you may qualify based on the schools financial aid formulas. So apply. Keep in mind schools aren’t for-profit. Paying less than full tuition means someone is finding money for you kids elsewhere.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:45 am
We make much less than you do and pay much more than you do.
If you can afford it then you should pay it.
You don’t get a discount because you can’t bear the thought of paying so much.
Trust me you get used to paying huge amounts of tuition but it never gets easier.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:14 am
Is 27.5k for 2 kids? If so, that's not crazy.

Yes it's a lot of money. Financial aid should only be used if you can't afford to pay not if you don't want to pay.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:25 am
I am nowhere even close to your bracket (much, much lower income), but I imagine that it will come down to whether or not you can reasonably afford to pay full tuition. On the surface it sounds like you have more than enough income to cover it, but there are circumstances I can think of that would rightly warrant financial assistance - such as if you have other major expenses/debt, like huge medical bills or if you’re supporting an elderly parent or some other ongoing issue that is draining your financial resources.

If it’s a matter of not wanting to compromise on the luxuries then I think that’s different. My parents used to tell my sibling and me that if they didn’t have to pay tuition then they could buy a new car every year and we could take a fancy vacation every year. They told us that in order to drive home the point that our education was much more valuable than those material things.

A quality Jewish education is something of great value that we as a people have historically made great sacrifices in order to provide for our children. Maybe there are equally good schools in your area with lower tuition? Or maybe you would consider moving to another area? If it’s the school you think is best and you value the education your children will receive there AND you can afford it (even with sacrificing some luxuries) then in my opinion you shouldn’t ask for financial assistance that other families genuinely need in order to send their children at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics