Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
10 year old credit card debt, card co. emptied my bank acct

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:05 pm
What do I do now?

In the last ten years I havent accumulated any debt, I always paid on time.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:09 pm
Was there a judgment for the old credit card debt issued against you?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:16 pm
Had something similar happen about 3 yrs ago.
I was so devastated.
I didn't have bread to put on the table and sold a shaitel and some other stuff, got the sum of $3400. Put it into the bank, to pay up some bills and the next day it was gone. The bank took it for a cc bill from a few years before that we were actually working on settling. They messed me up so badly, had they not taken that money I probably would've been closer to being able to pay more of that bill, because there was so much relying on this $3400, at that point.
I was told there was nothing I can do about it but maybe it's different if it was from 10 years ago.
Big big hugs. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Bh things are better now. Slowly getting out of this dark abyss.

brooklyn11211

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:57 am
If they did it they probably had a judgement

Not much I believe you can do

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
What do I do now?

In the last ten years I havent accumulated any debt, I always paid on time.

It's not clear to me if you're saying "I don't owe any money, because I've always paid my bills" or "I have a ten year old debt but since have paid my bills". If the former, you need a lawyer, and if the latter, I don't think there is anything to do.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 2:12 pm
imasoftov wrote:
It's not clear to me if you're saying "I don't owe any money, because I've always paid my bills" or "I have a ten year old debt but since have paid my bills". If the former, you need a lawyer, and if the latter, I don't think there is anything to do.

I thought she meant that she's owed the credit card company for 10 years (accumulating interest -- yikes!), but hasn't accumulated additional debt since then.

There are times when a bank can set off debts -- take from your account to pay off other monies owed -- if your accounts are all in the same place. I don't think that applies to consumer credit cards, though, but its not my field. So chances are the OP had a judgment against her, and they garnished, seizing her accounts.

OP, I suggest that you contact an attorney to see if you have any recourse. The initial call should be free. If you're in NY, you should also be able to check to see if there's a judgment against you online.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:

OP, I suggest that you contact an attorney to see if you have any recourse. The initial call should be free. If you're in NY, you should also be able to check to see if there's a judgment against you online.

We had a very old credit card debt, and agreed on a payment arrangement and we missed payments, so now it went back to litigation.

Im in Jersey, anyone I can call besides or better than Angels of Debt, who would be able to help?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
We had a very old credit card debt, and agreed on a payment arrangement and we missed payments, so now it went back to litigation.

Im in Jersey, anyone I can call besides or better than Angels of Debt, who would be able to help?

If they sued you, call an attorney.

Or if you can't afford an attorney, call up the plaintiff's attorney and try to settle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics