Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Share your pesach chumrot & minhagim
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 5:10 pm
etky wrote:
The fact that we don't eat kitniyot, in a country where half the Jewish population does, is chumrah enough for me....

Can I ask where you live?

pause

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 5:13 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Can I ask where you live?

Eretz Yisroel, no?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 5:19 pm
pause wrote:
Eretz Yisroel, no?

Half the Israelis eat kitnios?

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 5:20 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Half the Israelis eat kitnios?

Sephardim

2xmom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 5:46 pm
I could count on my fingers what we eat....only vegetables w peels and only what was available in de alte heim

Fox

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 6:20 pm
I've written about this before in similar threads, so apologies in advance if you've read it before.

DH's maternal family is from St. Joseph, Missouri -- about an hour from Kansas City. Believe it or not, St. Joe used to have a huge, thriving Jewish community in the late 1800s/early 1900s. It was the last stop for the Pony Express before heading into the West, and there were lots of jobs for new immigrants.

At one time, St. Joseph had ten large shuls, two mikvahs, numerous kosher butchers and bakers, etc. Unfortunately, like Omaha, NE, another major Jewish center at the time, what they didn't have were schools. So during the 20th century, kids either moved away or assimilated.

However, during the heydey of St. Joseph's Jewish community, they frequently hired rabbonim from Europe to serve in various roles and poskin shailos. One such rav arrived shortly before Pesach, and one of the first questions he was met with was, "Are bananas kosher for Pesach?"

Of course, he'd never seen a banana before and knew nothing about how they were grown or processed. He agreed to look into it in the future, but said, "Pesach is only a week. Just to be careful, don't eat bananas."

So many people with roots in the St. Joseph community deliberately avoid bananas during Pesach. It's not really a minhag -- they don't actually believe that bananas are chometz or kitnyos -- it's just a way of remembering a now-dead community and reflecting on why Jewish schools, even with all their faults, are so important.

Boca00

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 6:54 pm
We have to check rice three times before eating it on Pesach.

But... We eat kitnios, so it's all worth it. Especially as I take the other jobs and let my experienced husband and in laws check the rice. Wink

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 6:59 pm
No milk product ( unless milked by family member)
No gebrokts
Only chicken fat no oil
No fish
No sink water
No sugar
No garlic
We peel all vegetables
Even tommtoes
Matzos only what the men in the family hand made. ( dh family takes out a bakery for the day)
Matzo must be eaten out of a bag
No grape juice or wine we make our own 'must'
No bought orange juice or apple juice basically no outside food
We make our own potato starch
Were very proud of our minhagim!!!

Eta: how can I forget. We dont go into a grocery cholah moid. All food that we eat throughout the 8 days have to be in the house when dh finishes collecting the 10 pieces of bread.

crust

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
Only chicken fat no oil
No fish
No sink water
No sugar
No garlic
We peel all vegetables
Even tommtoes

This minus the potatoe starch because we dont eat sugar so there are no cakes anyhow.

crust

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:14 pm
simba wrote:
Are you adopting? I am available!
I don't think imamothers server can hold all our chumros! Let's suffice it to say we eat nothing and yes, I lose weight on pesach.

Matzoh?
Mashed Potaoes?
Baked potaoes?
Fried potatoes?
Sliced potatoes?
Potatoe kugel?
Eggs?
Hardboiled eggs?
Scrambled eggs?
Onions?
Carrots?
Chicken?
Chicken soup?
Apples?
Apple compote?
Homemade Apple chips?
Bananas?
Homemade grape juice?
Water? Lol
Tongue? (Your own lol)

And you call this NOTHING? LOL

pause

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:19 pm
crust wrote:
Matzoh?
Mashed Potaoes?
Baked potaoes?
Fried potatoes?
Sliced potatoes?
Potatoe kugel?
Eggs?
Hardboiled eggs?
Scrambled eggs?
Onions?
Carrots?
Chicken?
Chicken soup?
Apples?
Apple compote?
Homemade Apple chips?
Bananas?
Homemade grape juice?
Water? Lol
Tongue? (Your own lol)

And you call this NOTHING? LOL

You forgot the liver and the brattel and potato chremslach. In vus bizti verd without borscht???

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:22 pm
pause wrote:
You forgot the liver and the brattel and potato chremslach. In vus bizti verd without borscht???

Not everyone eats liver. My family doesnt.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:30 pm
I took on DH's Lubavitch minhagim, but I tease him all the time that my "next husband will be Sephardic." I get fed up with all the rules.

I do cook very plain and simple meals, though. Quinoia (which not every accepts) helps save my sanity.

I try to invite as many people as I can who need meals. Divorcees, older couples, new olim, anyone who's at loose ends.

My favorite minhag, which I made up, is to go around the table and say what your personal Mitzrayim was this year, and how did Hashem deliver you from it. It's so meaningful, and makes the Exodus feel very relevant to our time. We all have situations that make us feel oppressed in some way, and we cry out for deliverance. When we are liberated, we should praise Hashem!

crust

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:50 pm
pause wrote:

Oh yes the Chremzlach! How could one forget!!!
And the borscht? I hope you mean the one served in a soup plate with slices of potatoes swimming inside!

Brattel? Believe it or not I don't know what it is in the literal sense. It was used to explain an adult tantrum in our home as in; vus machste aza brattel? (=Why are you making such a fuss?)

But Liver? Mir huben doos nisht gezen inderheim!

Last edited by crust on Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

crust

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:56 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My favorite minhag, which I made up, is to go around the table and say what your personal Mitzrayim was this year, and how did Hashem deliver you from it. It's so meaningful, and makes the Exodus feel very relevant to our time. We all have situations that make us feel oppressed in some way, and we cry out for deliverance. When we are liberated, we should praise Hashem!

This is such a beautiful minhag! It would be so inspirational to be there.

mammale

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:33 pm
tichellady wrote:
I only eat matzah on pesach and pesach sheini. We don’t eat kitniot. That’s alul

Are you saying that you don't eat chometz on pesach sheni?

mammale

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
No gebrokts
Only chicken fat no oil
No fish
No sink water
No sugar
No garlic
We peel all vegetables
Even tommtoes
Matzos only what the men in the family hand made. ( dh family takes out a bakery for the day)

Eta: how can I forget. We dont go into a grocery cholah moid. All food that we eat throughout the 8 days have to be in the house when dh finishes collecting the 10 pieces of bread.

What do you use for water? Bottles? For cooking too? Have you ever run out?

tweek

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:39 pm
Fox wrote:
I've written about this before in similar threads, so apologies in advance if you've read it before.

DH's maternal family is from St. Joseph, Missouri -- about an hour from Kansas City. Believe it or not, St. Joe used to have a huge, thriving Jewish community in the late 1800s/early 1900s. It was the last stop for the Pony Express before heading into the West, and there were lots of jobs for new immigrants.

At one time, St. Joseph had ten large shuls, two mikvahs, numerous kosher butchers and bakers, etc. Unfortunately, like Omaha, NE, another major Jewish center at the time, what they didn't have were schools. So during the 20th century, kids either moved away or assimilated.

However, during the heydey of St. Joseph's Jewish community, they frequently hired rabbonim from Europe to serve in various roles and poskin shailos. One such rav arrived shortly before Pesach, and one of the first questions he was met with was, "Are bananas kosher for Pesach?"

Of course, he'd never seen a banana before and knew nothing about how they were grown or processed. He agreed to look into it in the future, but said, "Pesach is only a week. Just to be careful, don't eat bananas."

So many people with roots in the St. Joseph community deliberately avoid bananas during Pesach. It's not really a minhag -- they don't actually believe that bananas are chometz or kitnyos -- it's just a way of remembering a now-dead community and reflecting on why Jewish schools, even with all their faults, are so important.

I found this fascinating! Thanks for posting!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:51 pm
mammale wrote:
What do you use for water? Bottles? For cooking too? Have you ever run out?

Only myaim chaim bottled water for cooking as well. No we order aton!

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:30 pm
My husband used to have tons of chumros like homemade wine and no igikes (pickes) and no garlic and tons of other things.

Now we go to a hotel. We have no energy left, I put my foot down when he wanted to fill up a barrel of water before Pesach. I told him hes going in the barrel
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics