Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How many years married did you make pesach ?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:07 am
Seems like most people wait as long as possible . I’m curious to hear .

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:12 am
Depends what you mean by "make pesach." We stayed home the second year we were married and cleaned and hosted some meals, but since my in laws live nearby, they always expect us to go to their sedarim. I wish we could do the whole thing ourselves even if not every year, but there is no compelling reason to do so and in laws would be very hurt.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:13 am
At first, we went to family all week, but we cleaned and got rid of all our chametz. So pesach cleaning was always part of the routine. Then we moved onto staying home chol hamoed, then home for the last days. We finally stayed home for Seder after 18(!!!) years of marriage - and even then, a relative was offended we weren't coming. But it was beautiful. Now I host the whole family plus some.

The sooner you make pesach, the easier it is.

ROFL

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:14 am
This is my 35th year making Pesach. Started it the first year and have never had an opportunity to stop Anyone want to invite me for the whole Tom Tov to your home ( with about seven other people too !

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:18 am
First year and every year thereafter.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:19 am
Making it for the first time this year, just celebrated our 10th anniversary.

Both our families live far away (DH’s family an 8 hour drive, my parents a 6 hour flight), and this is our yearly chance for our kids to see their grandparents and family.

(Maybe I’m just insecure but I feel like the “I am utterly self-reliant, if you have any money or help or a functional family you are spoiled” side of imamother is going to come after me now, hence my disclaimer about this being important family time...)

My in-laws are coming to sleep at our home the whole yomtov, plus 1 unmarried sibling of DH and 1 married sibling with spouse and toddler sleeping over too. It’s not the Pesach cleaning that scares me, just hosting that many people for yomtov!

Last edited by bigsis144 on Sun, Mar 11 2018, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:19 am
The second year we were married I started making the sedarim at home already and was home for the entire Yom Tov for years after that. When I was married for 10 years , I spent Pesach by my mother the entire week for the first time and hated it. I prefer being home. Last year and this year we are moving into my inlaws for the entire duration and that's after 17 yrs of marriage and doing Pesach ourselves for the most part until now. But it's most likely going to be my last time. I honestly would rather stay home and do it all myself. I enjoy it much much more that way.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

happyone

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:20 am
4 or 5 years until we officially made our own Sedarim. First year set up already and ate some meals at home.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:21 am
I always stayed home, but there have been degrees.
First 2 years we ate out the YT meals and cooked all chol hamoed meals.
We slowly started eating home for some meals and at around year 4/5 we had to stay home for one of the sedarim, and while we were apprehensive, it end end up being awesome! We've mostly been home since, though we usually go out for a meal or two.
I'm someone who loves being home. And I personally think it's easiet to ease into things while the family is small, than to not make pesach for 15 years and then bam, know how to handle making pesach for dozens of people from one minute to the next.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:22 am
The second Pesach we were married we were home chol hamoad.
Each year we were home a bit more.
This year is our 7th pesach married and we are making a Seder for the first time.
One year in the middle we didn’t stay home at all.
Being home is so amazing it’s hard work but the payoff is worth it.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:23 am
First time making Seders this year; married 5 years.
Been making chol hamoed and/or second days since year 1

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:24 am
The first year I made Pesach I had been married 3 years. I somehow managed despite no help and a toddler/baby situation. The years before that were spent 1. In my in law’s house (2 weeks after my wedding) 2. In my house, but I was 3 weeks postpartum, and all I did was clean out my fridge so I could buy juice and cream cheese. 3. I was newly pregnant, so I did minimal cleaning, but went to my parents for all the meals.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:26 am
First year we were married we ate out the yom tov meals but slept at home which was kashered. The next year my ils starting going away so in total 15 years I've been making.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:31 am
Married 9 years been home chol hamoed and 2nd days since year 3. Dh wants to make sedarim each year but I feel it's silly with 3 little kids and no guests so we will be home 2nd days but going to my parents first days. (We were the only ones married for a long time in my family. Bh 2 siblings got married and will be there first days as well)

simba

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:33 am
8th year, and only because I was 9 months pr giant and couldn't travel to parents or in laws. We enjoy spending Yom Tov with our families so as long as they are able/willing to host us we go!

lfab

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:41 am
Looks like I'm the odd one out here. Married 10 years and so far haven't ever made pesach. We've talked about making and staying home for sedarim so we can gear it towards our kids but so far we haven't. Plus my husband seeks chametz gamur so I don't even do any real cleaning embarrassed .

koltov

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:45 am
When my oldest child was 5, I thought she wouldn't get the attention as there are a lot of kids to ask ma nishtano etc. so I decided to do the sedorim our self which was an excellent decision

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:45 am
This is my third year making Pesach, started my first year married. Sedarim and all, and hosted my family for the week and my in-laws for a Seder. So glad I did that because it’s not a huge deal now and at this point I have almost everything I need, kitchen-wise.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:50 am
10 years, and this will be our first time staying home at all (except for the sedarim). We always split half and half between parents and ILs, simply alternating years for who got us for the sedarim. My MIL lost her mother 6 weeks ago and just doesn't have the headspace to do anything. She's going to her sister for the entire holiday. Totally understandable. We're going to my parents for the sedarim and then coming home. Truth be told, as long as at least one of us has parents making sedarim, we will not be making our own sedarim. That's not because we don't want to make our own, it's just that we love seeing our kids getting together with their cousins and learning the traditions of both sides of the family.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:52 am
Got married in December; made Pesach four months later and in 21 years have only taken 1 year off (was pregnant with twins and told to stay off my feet).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics