Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How would you sell the deal?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:20 am
Not only working women, but perhaps someone here has an idea. We are relocating for my work as we are not making it in NY and my husband was working full-time in a somewhat unique company is not in favor of him working from our new city (not commutable) remotely. His job is mostly computer based and he has worked from home when our kids have been off from school, or while on vacation. The main reason they are not supportive of the idea is that they don't want it to become "a thing" because they want to maintain the office atmosphere. My husband's direct supervisor is "fighting" to keep him as they have a very good working relationship and the supervisor has experienced a lot of turnover and really does not want to have to train another person. My husband's job would be difficult to replace where we are going, and there are certainly advantages of him being home when we first move. So far he's offered to take a paycut and to fly in periodically. Has anyone who kept her (or a husband) that has successfully converted an office job to a remote job have any other "selling" points?

ellacoe

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:30 am
I don't know what he does or what his responsibilities are but, how can you show his value to the company? What can you show that he has done that makes him an asset to the company, be it money brought in, ideas generated, whatever his area is, how has he made a mark for them? What added value has he brought in the past and continue to bring to them?

You mention their concern is maintaining the office atmosphere, what does that mean exactly, what about that is important to them? How can he meet those needs remotely? Think creatively.

Are there any other concerns that they have besides the office atmosphere? Find out what they are and how they can be satisfied.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, May 25 2018, 10:29 am
Thank you everyone who even thought about it--just found out that they bought it! OMG this will iy"H be amazing!

justcallmeima

Post Fri, May 25 2018, 3:19 pm
Dh has done this very successfully a few times. First he stays in the work city durig the week and comes home Thursday night and works from home Friday and returns to work city Sunday night. He does this for a few weeks/months, then he gradually negotiates to increase the number of days at home per month. Eventually the employer sees that he is responsible to get his work done on time and the same high quality as always, so they say ok. Just work from home full time. Obviously the beginning is very difficult, especially if you're moving, but its worth it in the long run. Hatzlacha rabah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics