Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Say something or MYOB

amother
White

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:13 am
I work in a small office. Some employees are more valuable than others, they support our product. One employee was hired a few months ago. It was clear this is the person's first job. The employee learned so much on the job (marketable skills), but lacks confidence. I am aware of what the salary is, and not surprised to hear that this employee is looking to move on. I offered my advice that before going on interviews this person should talk to our boss first. My advice wasn't taken.

Should I say something to my boss? If this employee leaves I will have to do both of our jobs.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:19 am
Why shouldn't this employee be looking elsewhere? If this was her first low paying job, why shouldn't she use this experience to get a better paying and better job? Why should she stay? What would you tell the boss?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:36 am
No, you should not go behind another employee's back to talk about his/her job search. An employee is a free agent and has the right to seek other employment. Presumably if this worker wants a raise, he/she could have gone to the boss to ask.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:37 am
Ask permission to go talk to your boss

singleagain

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:44 am
What exactly do you want to say to your boss?

amother
White

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
Why shouldn't this employee be looking elsewhere? If this was her first low paying job, why shouldn't she use this experience to get a better paying and better job? Why should she stay? What would you tell the boss?

When I was hired I wasn't offered what I wanted. I asked that after X amount of time (training) I would get a raise. I did.

He was told once you know XYZ you can make more money. The problem is he is amazing at it, but feels since help and research is still needed, a raise isn't something earned yet. (Before him we had a few hours to a few days wait time to assist customers, now it's minutes) There unlimited amount of learning potential. He feels until he is an expert he doesn't qualify for a raise. He can currently list it as a skill on his resume.

Why shouldn't my company get the opportunity to offer him what he wants first. That's honestly what I hope my boss would do.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:49 am
amother wrote:
When I was hired I wasn't offered what I wanted. I asked that after X amount of time (training) I would get a raise. I did.

He was told once you know XYZ you can make more money. The problem is he is amazing at it, but feels since help and research is still needed, a raise isn't something earned yet. (Before him we had a few hours to a few days wait time to assist customers, now it's minutes) There unlimited amount of learning potential. He feels until he is an expert he doesn't qualify for a raise. He can currently list it as a skill on his resume.

Why shouldn't my company get the opportunity to offer him what he wants first. That's honestly what I hope my boss would do.

Instead of talking to your boss. Why don't you encourage the employee to speak up and ask for raise.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:50 am
amother wrote:

So you can talk to your coworker, but not to your boss. Presumably this employee didn't sign a non-compete agreement. When you hire someone and teach him skills, you always run the risk of losing him.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:53 am
amother wrote:
No, you should not go behind another employee's back to talk about his/her job search. An employee is a free agent and has the right to seek other employment. Presumably if this worker wants a raise, he/she could have gone to the boss to ask.

He is a geek and has a major confidence issue. My coworkers and I don't want him to leave.

He needs alot of pushing from co-workers to speak up for himself. He was asked to work different hours than hired, which messed up his schedule. After a while he finally spoke up and my boss agreed to his original hours.

They also recently hired new employees. We are very aware that all new hires make (way) more money. I'm staying since my job is very flexible.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 7:55 am
amother wrote:

I hear you but I don't know if it's fair to tell the boss that another employee is looking elsewhere. It's just not fair to that other employee. What if that employee would tell the boss that he feels he can make more money elsewhere and wants a raise to stay? Do you think the boss would consider it? If anything, you should go in that direction. Meaning, suggest to the employee that if he's generally happy with his job, to ask for a raise. I wouldn't tell the boss that an employee is looking to leave.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
He is a geek and has a major confidence issue. My coworkers and I don't want him to leave.

He needs alot of pushing from co-workers to speak up for himself. He was asked to work different hours than hired, which messed up his schedule. After a while he finally spoke up and my boss agreed to his original hours.

They also recently hired new employees. We are very aware that all new hires make (way) more money. I'm staying since my job is very flexible.

You said this is his first job... His confidence isn't going to help by job hopping. What did help build confidence, is staying where you are and having a conversation with the boss.

I had a similar thing in my job. I work in a grocery store office and had an idea about the weekly sales. I used to ask him before I put an item in the flyer. One week, he vetoed every idea, and decided not to do it. I got really annoyed and stormed into his office and argued why I thought it important to continue. Now I don't ask when I decide what to put on sale, I just explain why.

Doing that really boosted my confidence. I'm not saying your coworker should do exactly what I did. But he should stand up for himself and talk to the boss.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 8:03 am
singleagain wrote:
Instead of talking to your boss. Why don't you encourage the employee to speak up and ask for raise.

I did, countless times. My boss posted a job simular what he does, plus some additional skills. He feels like they are looking for a replacement. (He lacks confidence and doesn't feel like he should be compensated for things he learned in the job) He actually can additional help.

The job posted is more than double what he makes. It's sad. I feel so horrible.

I plan on asking for a raise to bring me into the same playing field as my coworkers. I know this guy won't even mention a raise.

I can try to convince him to ask for a performance review.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 8:04 am
Thanks all for your advice. I'm not going to say anything to my boss.

naomi2

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 8:05 am
Absolutely do not go behind his back to speak to the boss. And don't ask permission to speak to the boss on his behalf. He is not a child. The only thing you can do is speak to your coworker. Also, consider that there may be other reasons for the co-worker to be leaving and that his replacement might be a better fit. Don't try to control the situation.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 9:52 am
Unless this person is your spouse or family member , you're way overinvolved in his job, his confidence, his salary etc.
Take a step back and let him do what he wants.
And do not talk to your boss that is wrong.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics