Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to quickly & efficiently clean bathroom?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:34 pm
Any tips?

I clean my bathroom weekly, and I feel like it needs a real wash down. I don't know how it gets so dirty. The entire toilet, sink, shower, and floor.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:39 pm
Google it! You wouldn't believe how many youtube videos there are on how to clean a bathroom! That's how I learned what to do when I got married. Someone I know was all "You for sure knew how to keep house because you have a big family! I was too uncomfortable to tell her that I actually had no idea and never ever saw my mother clean a bathroom or mop a kitchen floor. Like ever. But I got lots of tips from google! You can do this!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:52 pm
Once a week I do a complete scrub down.
Brush, detergents, wash clothes etc.

Every morning after the kids leave, I wipe down the toilet bowl with some bounty and mr clean spritz (I make it myself mr clean and some water in a spray bottle)

Once a week is very little to clean it.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:58 pm
It needs to be done more often than once a week. Spray all surfaces and wipe it down with paper towel. The tub and shower can be just once a week.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Once a week I do a complete scrub down.
Brush, detergents, wash clothes etc.

Every morning after the kids leave, I wipe down the toilet bowl with some bounty and mr clean spritz (I make it myself mr clean and some water in a spray bottle)

Once a week is very little to clean it.

Is it really too little?

No kids. Just me & dh.

As is, I'm having a hard time cleaning it without taking too long..

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:11 pm
naomi2 wrote:
It needs to be done more often than once a week. Spray all surfaces and wipe it down with paper towel. The tub and shower can be just once a week.

How do you clean the tub?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
Google it! You wouldn't believe how many youtube videos there are on how to clean a bathroom! That's how I learned what to do when I got married. Someone I know was all "You for sure knew how to keep house because you have a big family! I was too uncomfortable to tell her that I actually had no idea and never ever saw my mother clean a bathroom or mop a kitchen floor. Like ever. But I got lots of tips from google! You can do this!

Thanks.. I googled already..
Doing my research here as well Wink

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:13 pm
I keep a bottle of wipes (I like seventh generation) in my vanity for in-between wipe-downs of bathrooms. It does a great job.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:26 pm
I was like you, having grown up with a cleaning lady I found myself clueless as to how to actually wash a bathroom Sad.

This is what I found works best for me - I spray the entire bathroom with Lysol or whatever, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I use a sponge to scrub between tiles and crevices, rinse as needed. Wipe down with a shmatte or paper towels, and and there you go!

A bottle of wipes for a quick everyday wipe down is a good idea, as well.

fraimal

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:28 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I was like you, having grown up with a cleaning lady I found myself clueless as to how to actually wash a bathroom Sad.

This is what I found works best for me - I spray the entire bathroom with Lysol or whatever, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I use a sponge to scrub between tiles and crevices, rinse as needed. Wipe down with a shmatte or paper towels, and and there you go!

A bottle of wipes for a quick everyday wipe down is a good idea, as well.

Prob with using sponge is that the gross germs from the bathroom floor accumulate on the sponge and there is no real way to clean sponge.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:31 pm
how often will depend on how dirty it gets, which depends on how much it’s used, your climate, the types of surfaces you have, and other factors. I have dark towels and white surfaces, and the towel lint goes everywhere. I even have to dust the walls because the lint clings to them. If I had White towels the lint wouldn’t show and I wouldn’t have to do this, but then the towels would look grimy from use.

Clean as often as needed to look clean and smell fresh. This may be daily or weekly. If you dry the sink and its surround after every use, dry the shower walls ditto, and scrub the tub after every use, that’ll go a long way towards keeping things looking spiffy. Polish the mirror when you notice spots. I keep a small microfiber cloth in the medicine cabinet for this purpose and wash it now and then.

I keep another microfiber cloth on the towel rack for wiping down ledges, windowsills and drying the tile after a shower. But I usually take short, coolish showers with a handheld device so there’s not much steam. Dh takes long hot showers and steams up the whole room. I have to use an old bath towel to dry the walls. Why? Because wet walls will sprout mold. DH doesn’t give a flying squirrel if the walls sprout mildew but I do.

Open the window or run the exhaust fan early and often. Wipe down the throne if you notice it’s getting dirty. Doing a little bit of maintenance every day keeps the weekly job manageable.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Is it really too little?

No kids. Just me & dh.

As is, I'm having a hard time cleaning it without taking too long..

If you clean it more often you won’t find it so filthy every week.
No kids I’d probably clean it a bit less often than every day.

Bathtub I (or my cleaning lady) scrub down once a week and I even skip it once in a while.
I don’t find that so urgent every week.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 4:04 pm
fraimal wrote:
Prob with using sponge is that the gross germs from the bathroom floor accumulate on the sponge and there is no real way to clean sponge.

That's why I like wipes. You throw them out as the dirt accumulates on them.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
how often will depend on how dirty it gets, which depends on how much it’s used, your climate, the types of surfaces you have, and other factors. I have dark towels and white surfaces, and the towel lint goes everywhere. I even have to dust the walls because the lint clings to them. If I had White towels the lint wouldn’t show and I wouldn’t have to do this, but then the towels would look grimy from use.

Clean as often as needed to look clean and smell fresh. This may be daily or weekly. If you dry the sink and its surround after every use, dry the shower walls ditto, and scrub the tub after every use, that’ll go a long way towards keeping things looking spiffy. Polish the mirror when you notice spots. I keep a small microfiber cloth in the medicine cabinet for this purpose and wash it now and then.

I keep another microfiber cloth on the towel rack for wiping down ledges, windowsills and drying the tile after a shower. But I usually take short, coolish showers with a handheld device so there’s not much steam. Dh takes long hot showers and steams up the whole room. I have to use an old bath towel to dry the walls. Why? Because wet walls will sprout mold. DH doesn’t give a flying squirrel if the walls sprout mildew but I do.

Open the window or run the exhaust fan early and often. Wipe down the throne if you notice it’s getting dirty. Doing a little bit of maintenance every day keeps the weekly job manageable.

Thanks for the detailed advice.
I laughed at the bolded.
When you wipe down the toilet, and other surfaces, what detergent do you use?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the detailed advice.
I laughed at the bolded.
When you wipe down the toilet, and other surfaces, what detergent do you use?

Old slivers of bath soap that I collect in a repurposed plastic jar. I don’t feel the need to disinfect, just clean. Nobody’s eating off the bathroom surfaces, and plain soap does a good enough job degerming for most applications. I prefer to minimize use of toxic chemicals. Now and then I’ll spritz with plain vinegar if it seems a bit smelly. Once the vinegar smell is gone, so is the other smell.

Vinegar neutralizes ammonia so if the man in your life has poor aim, vinegar can handle the consequences.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 5:53 pm
fraimal wrote:

I don't think that germs really accumulate on the sponge, as it dries between uses. I like to use a microfiber sponge for obvious reasons, but I guess you can use a microfiber cloth as well and does the same job.

I use the wipes for in between cleaning, though, and it really does do a good job.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
Any tips?

I clean my bathroom weekly, and I feel like it needs a real wash down. I don't know how it gets so dirty. The entire toilet, sink, shower, and floor.

Try Cl0r0x Bleach foamer! I know some ppl are 'afraid' of bleach but it can actually be your bff. It kills mold, mildew, bacteria, fungi, etc. It's really amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics