Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning Help Lunch
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 8:48 am
What do you serve your cleaning help for lunch? (It's getting complicated because she comes several days a week, doesn't want anything that's not hot etc.)

Thanks!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 8:50 am
Buy her a small microwave and let her heat up her own food in it?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 8:54 am
ONly on Imamother. Doesn't want anything not hot? LOL. My experience is that if they eat on the job, they bring a samdwich or cold tup.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 9:07 am
Whatever I have in the house.
So sometimes tuna or sardines with bread/toast or crackers/rice cakes. Sometimes leftovers from our supper the night before, or from shabbos, whih she will warm up in the microwave. Sometimes a pizza warmed up in the microwave. And sometimes if she wants, I will turn on the flame and allow her to cook herself an egg (once I turn on the flame for her, no problems with bishul akum...). Or cereal and milk if that's what she is in the mood. Basically, anything she wants from within my kitchen, no outside food allowed, as long as she can reasonably prepare it herself. She is also welcome to any fruit or vegetables and cake/cookies we have, along with coffee and tea.

She does not eat all day at all. She takes a short (5minute maybe) coffee break and a not too long lunch break, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 9:16 am
My cleaning help comes on Sunday mornings. I usually make her a coffee, and pancakes or french toast which I make for my family as well.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 9:30 am
My lady enjoys pizza so I leave a frozen slice, or a wrap with assembled sauce and cheese, in the milchig convection oven with instructions and she bakes it when she's ready. I also leave a yogurt, banana and water bottle on the table for her as well.
Another quick option is baked ziti. I can just leave pasta mixed with sauce and cheese in the oven, with instructions for her.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 10:24 am
why don't you cook extra at supper time for her? Chicken, rice, spaghetti bolognese...wtvr you make. She can reheat in the microwave. Maybe buy those foil trays in compartments and you can place leftovers in there, and even freeze if needed.

My cleaning lady doesn't seem to like eating in my house...if she is by me for a long time I offer her whatever we are having but she likes pitta and chummus which we always have.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 10:41 am
I offer sandwiches. There's also always tons of fresh fruit in my house and my cleaning lady knows she can make coffee whenever she wants.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:45 am
Many of the cleaning ladies want a hot lunch if it is their culture. Mine gets a can of tuna. I box up my leftovers for her to take home each day. She loves this arrangement.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:06 pm
What does she mean by hot? Does she want to reheat her own food or does she expect you to have a full meal prepared for her.

A full meal or a slice or two of pizza? If soup and a sandwich, or a stew and bread or chili are okay, I would make a large amount of whatever and freeze individual portions. If you are cooking that kind of stuff, just make a lot.

I think other kinds of leftovers get tricky because of portions and they don't reheat so well.

I must admit that I am pretty thoughtful with all kinds of workers but have never heard of a cleaning woman requesting hot food specifically. I generally tell them they are welcome to eat anything in the refrigerator and I make a point of always having deli for them to eat.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:19 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Whatever I have in the house.
So sometimes tuna or sardines with bread/toast or crackers/rice cakes.

You serve cleaning help sardines? Does she eat it without complaint? That's a very, very acquired taste...

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:
You serve cleaning help sardines? Does she eat it without complaint? That's a very, very acquired taste...
she actually requested it. So now I make sure to have it in the house. This she doesn't eat it all the time. Only when she wants it. I offer a selection of hot and cold food, and she chooses what she wants. Though nothing that I actually have to stand and prepare for her, only whatever she can warm up or prepare on her own.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:36 pm
Mine only comes once a week but it's usually a fresh sandwich, yogurt, drink, and piece of cake...

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
Buy her a small microwave and let her heat up her own food in it?

Are you kidding? Her TREIF food?!

shiaeisen

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
What do you serve your cleaning help for lunch? (It's getting complicated because she comes several days a week, doesn't want anything that's not hot etc.)

Thanks!

I keep frozen pizza in stock and make her one or two slices for lunch....

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
Are you kidding? Her TREIF food?!

Um. Yeah. Why not? There is no issur to have someone non Jewish use a non kosher microwave in your home. I would not keep it in the kitchen, but otherwise what's the big deal?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
My lady enjoys pizza so I leave a frozen slice, or a wrap with assembled sauce and cheese, in the milchig convection oven with instructions and she bakes it when she's ready. I also leave a yogurt, banana and water bottle on the table for her as well.
Another quick option is baked ziti. I can just leave pasta mixed with sauce and cheese in the oven, with instructions for her.

So she turns on the fire herself? Is she Jewish?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:48 pm
[quote="Raisin"]why don't you cook extra at supper time for her? Chicken, rice, spaghetti bolognese...wtvr you make.

Sure, why not filet mignon, veal francese, and duck l’orange while you’re at it? Surely you jest....

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:51 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
she actually requested it. So now I make sure to have it in the house. This she doesn't eat it all the time. Only when she wants it. I offer a selection of hot and cold food, and she chooses what she wants. Though nothing that I actually have to stand and prepare for her, only whatever she can warm up or prepare on her own.

I’m just wondering if maybe some of the women on this site aren’t aware that a non Jew is not allowed to turn on the fire in your home.

agreer

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:54 pm
I give supper leftovers (I make extra for her in mind): chicken/meatballs/burgers with rice/macaroni/couscous. I make a ton of rice/pasta/couscous at a time and portion in baggies and freeze so it's super-easy to microwave it. Sometimes I give her frozen pizza (she loves it) or baked ziti (again, from my freezer).

I cook and freeze a lot for my husband anyway, since he likes to eat real food for lunch, so it's not such a big deal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics