Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning Help Lunch
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
Are you kidding? Her TREIF food?!

What’s the issue here? It will be a treif microwave just for her to use. We did this. Then she could bring her own lunch from home and there was no need to worry about what to serve her. It was a win- win.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
I’m just wondering if maybe some of the women on this site aren’t aware that a non Jew is not allowed to turn on the fire in your home.

For herself?

Adela

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
I’m just wondering if maybe some of the women on this site aren’t aware that a non Jew is not allowed to turn on the fire in your home.

Another Blush as far as my knowledge goes she would not be allowed to turn on the fire for food that you (or anyone Jewish) will eat but food that she makes for herself why would it be an issue?

Adela

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:07 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Whatever I have in the house.
So sometimes tuna or sardines with bread/toast or crackers/rice cakes. Sometimes leftovers from our supper the night before, or from shabbos, whih she will warm up in the microwave. Sometimes a pizza warmed up in the microwave. And sometimes if she wants, I will turn on the flame and allow her to cook herself an egg (once I turn on the flame for her, no problems with bishul akum...). Or cereal and milk if that's what she is in the mood. Basically, anything she wants from within my kitchen, no outside food allowed, as long as she can reasonably prepare it herself. She is also welcome to any fruit or vegetables and cake/cookies we have, along with coffee and tea.

She does not eat all day at all. She takes a short (5minute maybe) coffee break and a not too long lunch break, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Rosemarie same to you... I don’t think you need to turn on the flame if the food is just for herself....
But if you know differently let me know:)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:27 pm
Adela wrote:
Rosemarie same to you... I don’t think you need to turn on the flame if the food is just for herself....
But if you know differently let me know:)

Can it cause a problem with the pots etc that she's using?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
So she turns on the fire herself? Is she Jewish?

She turns on the oven herself. And eats the food herself. She doesn't need to have someone Jewish cook for her. Tongue Out

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:55 pm
From Chabad website: "If a non-Jew cooked the food alone, without Jewish participation, the food as well as the utensils are not kosher and the utensils must be koshered."

It's in Shulchan Aruch: Yore Dea 113:16

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:55 pm
Whatever she wants she eats. I don’t serve her anything. She often prepares me lunch.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 6:11 pm
I also give her whatever I have in the house like yogurts cheese fruits and cake .

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 6:22 pm
I also heard the pots are a problem but I think it depends what type of food like if it's something that can be eaten raw it might not be a problem so boiling stringbean would be different then stir frying chicken. It's been a while since the halachos were relevant.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 7:43 pm
If a non Jew turns on the stove using your pots the pot is not kosher been there done that. We have a live in nanny and both are not home most hours of the day so before I leave I turn the oven on delay so it goes on at a certain time so she can put in lunch for the kids or dinner for everyone. I also have a separate frying pan that is bright orange and says trief on it that is just for her to use to make her self eggs. She lives in our house and I can’t expect her to not eat breakfast or lunch cause I leave at 545 an and don’t come home sometimes till 9 pm so we deal. We also have cameras in the kitchen and my husband and I are constantly checking and can rewind to watch the whole day if we want so we know exactly what is going on in our kitchen at all times.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics