Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Car battery died, boost didnt help, 24 hrs, car started fine

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 3:17 pm
We were at a wedding. We came back to the car and saw we left the lights on. When we tried starting the car, it wouldnt start (I thought the fact that the lights were still on meant the battery was still alive). After multiple attempts with someone giving us a boost, and car not starting, we left the car there and got home another way.

Next day, DH tried starting the car before calling AAA who we were told will either be able to give it a stronger, more professional boost, or they'll replace the battery, BUT the car magically started on its own.

How does this make sense- the car starting with no boost at all, 24 hours after being dead as a doorknob, and multiple attempts at boosts didnt start the car?

The battery had a Tchiyas Hameisim?

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:41 pm
I don't know the mechanics but it happened to me once. Without the lights thing - it just died. And then a couple of days later (I was away for yom tov and it broke down close to the destination when I stopped at a store) it started again. The battery needed to be replaced but bh I was able to first drive home and then had my local guy take care of it.

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:47 pm
DD had issues multiple times. Sometimes worked, often didn't.

Finally took the car to my mechanic (as I was begging her for months). He said battery or cable was not securely bolted. He changed the bolt & halevai will be good now.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:01 pm
a boost gives the battery energy ... but the battery was maxed out so trying over & over doesn't help ... the next day once the chemicals inside the battery rested the electric current was able to take & thereby it started ... once it starts the turning belt recharges battery [or something like that]

however, I would think it sounds worn out enough to warrant buying a new battery - you don't want to be stuck again

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:06 pm
greenfire wrote:
a boost gives the battery energy ... but the battery was maxed out so trying over & over doesn't help ... the next day once the chemicals inside the battery rested the electric current was able to take & thereby it started ... once it starts the turning belt recharges battery [or something like that]

however, I would think it sounds worn out enough to warrant buying a new battery - you don't want to be stuck again

The battery was 100% fine until we left the car light on for 4-5 hours on Sunday night. On Monday night, we drove for 1 1/2 hours with no issues. Should we still check out the battery?

octopus

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:39 pm
Yes. Because that drains the battery life.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:23 am
amother wrote:
The battery was 100% fine until we left the car light on for 4-5 hours on Sunday night. On Monday night, we drove for 1 1/2 hours with no issues. Should we still check out the battery?
No need. As you were driving the car, the battery was being charged. Thats how the battery is charged, by being used.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:42 am
It makes sense that it wouldn't start right away even with a boost, and did 24 hours later after not being used as the battery gets to rest and all the chemical reactions of trying to start the engine calm down.

You may have killed the battery though, if it happens again get it replaced (speaking from experience - a vacation where every day we broke down SOMEWHERE). Best thing to do when you do restart it is go for a long drive (which it sounds like you did this time anyway) to recharge the battery. Hope it doesn't happen again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics