Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is buying a swingset worth it?
1  2  Next

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:33 pm
Do your kids enjoy yours?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:36 pm
Look, I'm sure some for some it was worth it and for others it was a waste. Nobody knows your kids better than you do. You are in a better position than any of us to decide if your kids will use it in the long run. None of us know your kids.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:47 pm
Duh, amother. That was helpful.

All kids are different. All of my children are different too. I'm interested in hearing from ppl if it was a worthwhile investment for them. I didnt ask if my kids will enjoy it but, quote, do your kids enjoy yours.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:49 pm
We live next to a park so for us it was not worth it to buy one. My friend has a huge climbing thing in her basement which I would love to get my kids come winter time.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:03 pm
Some of my best childhood memories involve the swings in our backyard.

But I've lived near parks when my kids were young, and I don't think they were missing having their own swingset.

Don't think that the swingset will be a catch-all for all of their bored moments. Like all other toys, games, etc...they will not always be in the mood of swinging.....

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:05 pm
It was worth it when my kids were younger and would go outside to play or have friends over, particularly on Shabbos afternoon. How much you end up using it may depend on your set-up. Do you have a fenced in yard? Do you feel comfortable with the kids playing outside by themselves? If no to both, are you willing/able to stay outside and watch them?

Good luck in your decision!

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:07 pm
Thanks! We were going to get one and now Dh is freaking out at the price because he thought (being completely clueless about these things) that it was going to be a 400- purchase. Lol. So now I dont know if I should push for it...

sky

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:11 pm
I think the swings and maybe a tire swing get the most use. the rest is nice to have but not as necessary - If I were to do it again I would do a large wooden post for swings - DIY.

(We bought our wood one at clearence at the start of a new summer season from teh year before so wasn't a crazy price)

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
Look, I'm sure some for some it was worth it and for others it was a waste. Nobody knows your kids better than you do. You are in a better position than any of us to decide if your kids will use it in the long run. None of us know your kids.

I thought this was a great answer.

My kids enjoy their swing set. How does that help me figure out it it was 'worth it'? Obviously if they didn't enjoy it - it would have definitely been a waste of money.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! We were going to get one and now Dh is freaking out at the price because he thought (being completely clueless about these things) that it was going to be a 400- purchase. Lol. So now I dont know if I should push for it...

Are your kids bored?

400 swing set.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bac.....42030

80 swing set

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spo.....05027

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Are your kids bored?

400 swing set.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bac.....42030

80 swing set

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spo.....05027

400 is for the actual swing set.
Then there's assembly, installation, rubber matting or wood chips for play area, etc....

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:23 pm
I moved my parents swingset to my house. It is great. It cost me about 500 altogether but dh did it himself and changed some pieces and painted it also. It was a 5k swingset originally. I think my trampoline gets more used and my climbing dome.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:23 pm
Chayalle wrote:
400 is for the actual swing set.
Then there's assembly, installation, rubber matting or wood chips for play area, etc....

It could be installed on grass.

(another matter why most men and women in our community lack the skill set to, together with a friend put one of these things together).

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:24 pm
We live down the block from a fantastic playground, so no swing set would compete. We opted to install a zipline with a seat instead. For 100$ we have gotten innumerable hours of entertainment. The kids use it as a swing too, and all of their friends are always coming by!
https://www.amazon.com/Slacker.....e+kit
It takes up almost no room and allows us to enjoy the entire yard.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
We live down the block from a fantastic playground, so no swing set would compete. We opted to install a zipline with a seat instead. For 100$ we have gotten innumerable hours of entertainment. The kids use it as a swing too, and all of their friends are always coming by!
https://www.amazon.com/Slacker.....e+kit
It takes up almost no room and allows us to enjoy the entire yard.

That does look amazing.

My girls are big for a swingset, though I could see putting one in one day, B"EH, for the grandkids.

Right now they want a trampoline and a basket ball hoop.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:54 pm
My kids absolutely love ours, but we didn’t pay for it so I can’t help you if it’s worth it.

However, your backyard must be a clean, fenced, cozy place. Otherwise they won’t like to be out.

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:55 pm
Th swingset was great when they were younger - say under 10. I got an inexpensive little tykes one made of plastic. I was upset for awhile not getting a large wood one since I thought the kids would enjoy more. However, from what I see from my friends, it’s the swings that get used most.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:49 pm
The zipline looks great but I dont have the trees for it. As for the cheap sets, many of these wood sets come in a zillion pieces and installation is extremely expensive. Plus, wooden sets need constant care-sealing etc. The metal sets are an absolute waste of money. They rust and snap quickly. My parents went through several sets when I was a kid and it's a miracle we didnt get hurt.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
I thought this was a great answer.

My kids enjoy their swing set. How does that help me figure out it it was 'worth it'? Obviously if they didn't enjoy it - it would have definitely been a waste of money.

So you bought a swingset, your kids enjoy it and yet you cant figure out if it was worth it? Was there something else you expected it to deliver that it didnt?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 6:02 pm
Depends also on the age and weight of your kids bec some of them have weight restrictions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics