Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Would you pay him??
Previous  1  2

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 5:47 pm
The problem is its a local frum guy in a small community, I don't want to get into a whole fight Sad but I really don't want to pay either...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:34 pm
To clarify, what was needed on the walls, which parts did he do, and which parts did the new painter do?

Remove wallpaper (all walls that were being painted needed wallpaper removal?), spackle, sand, primer, 2 coats of paint?

How much was his original quote for the walls and what did you pay the 2nd painter?

Even if halachikly you're not obligated to pay, it would be mentchlach to pay for the work he did. Though I understand that the heartache cost you money too.

You may be able to figure out a fair amount by taking his original quote for the walls and deducting what you paid the second guy and giving him the remainder, or figure out the amount of hours he had his worker working on your walls and pay minimum wage so he covers his costs for the employee.

You should not have to pay him for supplies you never saw if he ignored your requests to come do the job.

SYA

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 1:45 am
Although your Rav said you don’t have to pay the contractor, I think you should pay the amount he paid the worker to remove the wallpaper.
He will probably quote you a much higher price for that in order to get more money from you. You can ask around for quotes and give the contractor the estimated amount you would have paid just for the work done.

You don’t have to pay for the paint or for the contractor to have a profit when he did not get the job done, besides for not being within the agreed upon time frame.

SHGOLDY

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 7:43 am
Ask him for a detailed invoice of what he did, if his price his high negotiate the price down. Halacha he should be paid a fair amount for his work.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics