Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does anyone take over lawyers records?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:33 pm
We used an attorney to set up a trust over 10 years ago. I don't think I have the actual trust information and now the attorney is no longer practicing. I don't see anything on-line regarding anyone buying out the practice.

Is there any protocol whereby files need to be stored somewhere or if it's over 10 years I can just forget about it?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 4:16 pm
What state ?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
We used an attorney to set up a trust over 10 years ago. I don't think I have the actual trust information and now the attorney is no longer practicing. I don't see anything on-line regarding anyone buying out the practice.

Is there any protocol whereby files need to be stored somewhere or if it's over 10 years I can just forget about it?

If you're looking for organizational documents from the original trust formation, you can pay a corporate service provider to obtain copies for you.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 6:05 pm
Just call the attorney and ask him

rivkam

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 3:25 pm
In Israel they must keep files for 7 years

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 8:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you're looking for organizational documents from the original trust formation, you can pay a corporate service provider to obtain copies for you.

And how would he do that?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 9:25 pm
Who is the trustee? He might have it . Is there a trust company

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
And how would he do that?

Call up a place like Allstate Corporate Services (800) 906-9220

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:30 am
I'm the trustee, and the lawyer was required to stop practicing.
This is in NJ.
So what's my next step?

I set up a trust to put my parents' assets away for them, but I don't know of any documents that specify how it's to be used other than that I and my co-trustees (siblings) can take out funds. But I need to know if there were any other conditions, I guess. I don't even remember now why I asked the question...

Oh, right, my accountant said:
If you get a distribution of income from the trust it is taxable income (& would be reported to you on the K-1) but if you leave the income in the trust & take a distribution from the corpus it is not taxable.

I then asked him: How exactly do we determine that?
A: It depends on the trust instrument but usually it is at the discretion of the trustee.

So now I am trying to locate the "trust instrument" but I don't know what it looks like : )

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:56 am
amother wrote:
This is in NJ.
So what's my next step?

I set up a trust to put my parents' assets away for them, but I don't know of any documents that specify how it's to be used other than that I and my co-trustees (siblings) can take out funds. But I need to know if there were any other conditions, I guess. I don't even remember now why I asked the question...

If you get a distribution of income from the trust it is taxable income (& would be reported to you on the K-1) but if you leave the income in the trust & take a distribution from the corpus it is not taxable.

A: It depends on the trust instrument but usually it is at the discretion of the trustee.

So now I am trying to locate the "trust instrument" but I don't know what it looks like : )

Probably needed to present the trust documents to open a bank account / investment account for the trust. Talk the the person managing the account (s).

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:31 am
ra_mom wrote:
Call up a place like Allstate Corporate Services (800) 906-9220

Will you stop with this? A trust isn't created by the state.

The hint should be corporation in the name instead of trust.

OP: consult an ttorney. This isn't legal advice.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:42 am
amother wrote:
This is in NJ.
So what's my next step?

Please consult a trust attorney instead of getting cockamamie advice here. This isn't legal advice.

I know quite a bit about trusts, but I don't want liability of giving legal advice. Any competent trust attorney can help you.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
Please consult a trust attorney instead of getting cockamamie advice here. This isn't legal advice.

I know quite a bit about trusts, but I don't want liability of giving legal advice. Any competent trust attorney can help you.

Contacting the institution that holds the trust funds isn't cockamamie advice. Thanks.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:16 pm
This is what I found regarding the original attorney.

What does this mean? Is it like being disbarred? Anyhow, her office is no longer existing.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
Contacting the institution that holds the trust funds isn't cockamamie advice. Thanks.

It is cockamamie advice on quite a few levels. You are clueless why.

Her accountant's advice is also isn't good and is missing steps .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics