Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
At what age did you let your child take a bath/shower alone?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 2:56 pm
When do/did you
A- let them do it completely alone
B- With some help - ex let them stay alone but are in hearing distance/ check up every
5-10 minutes or come back and wash there hair and ect...?.
C- Did it make a difference if they took it with a sibling? (ex if you allow 7 yr old ds to take
a bath alone, would you allow your 3yr old ds to go with him even though normally you
wouldn't allow him to take it alone? )

Just trying to figure out when its safe to allow my oldest to be alone.... Thanks

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:00 pm
Don't like the idea of sibs together over age 3. It also spreads germs and things like pinworms. Responsible 5 year old and up can be in bath/shower alone with checking up and hair washing.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:11 pm
A) Depends on the kid. Earliest was 4 (extremely mature and responsible), other kids around 6
B) 3-4ish, also depending on the kid. I wouldn't leave my now 4-year-old - she's much less mature and capable than my older ones.
C) Yes. I don't do this often, but occasionally 6- or 8-year-old will ask to bathe 4-year-old. I'm not a fan of it but if I'm in a pinch I allow it. I don't need to check up on them unless I stop hearing them.

tachles

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:14 pm
I would let a child shower alone from age 6 or 7 depending on the kid. That includes washing hair and body with shampoo and soap on their own.
A bath alone from 8 or 9 depending on the kid but I try to be alert that they’re there, like I’ll be within earshot of the bathroom so that I hear - splashing or talking. G.d forbid that a child should not fall asleep or something in there- I want to know I can hear them.
Which is why in general I prefer they take showers, it’s less risky when they’re on their own.
I would not let a 4 and 7 year old bathe together at all but especially unsupervised I think it would be a bad idea.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:04 pm
My dd is 6 I fill up the bath and let her play a few minute come back in I wash her face and hair and let her shower herself off I usualy help her with her back bec its hard for her to reach

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:54 pm
I would let an 8 year old supervise a 2 and a half year old child because I wouldn't leave a kid alone but I wouldn't allow to bathe together

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 5:42 pm
Ok, I'll be the dissenting voice and say my 9 and 11 year old girls JUST started bathing/showering separately most of the time. The option was always open to them, and they chose it occasionally in the past if they were in a fight, or wanted different temperature water etc.

Obviously it's different if it's girls and boys, but if it's siblings of the same gender there's really no reason to have such a young cut off unless the kids themselves are requesting it.

For my kids (and my older kids did the same when they were younger), it's a great way to unwind at night. They talk, laugh, play, and have so many good memories from their baths.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics