Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you host these Yeshiva Boys?
Previous  1  2

browser

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:42 pm
amother wrote:
I'd go with "clueless" here. Tell your son exactly what it costs to add extra boys to your party, and then have him offer any of the would-be guests to pay their own way. Learning experience and ending this nonsense in one go.

I agree they must be clueless.
Of course u should not have to pay for a hotel meal for all these guests

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:53 pm
browser wrote:
I agree they must be clueless.
Of course u should not have to pay for a hotel meal for all these guests

Mostly they are desperate.

These are teenagers who are on their own for the first time, in a foreign country. They've been there less than a month. They barely know their way to the makholet, let alone know families to host them for chagim.

Then their yeshivas and seminaries turn them out for two weeks. Go out. Find a place for yourself. See you on Simchat Torah!

Sure, a lot of them will rent an air b'n'b for chol hamoed. But they want to be with someone for the chag.

So yes, they will call anyone and everyone they know. And they will plead and beg.

We have no family in Israel, and know very few people. And yes, we needed to beg. (We also sent a lovely and expensive thank you gift.)

That doesn't mean that you have to host people. You don't. But have some pity on those who ask.

And put some pressure on the schools to eliminate this horrible practice. DD2 doesn't seem interested in Israel. But when its time for DD3, I'm not going to allow her to go to a school that doesn't have some help for kids without Israeli family.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:56 pm
I think it’s super rude to invite ur self and I’m not condoning it but it’s definitely done.

My brother is in Yeshiva here and his friends who have parents staying at hotels are inviting lots of guys to join for meals- not everyone gets an invite but definitely a bunch (like they make 2 meals when they have guys, around 5 maybe)
Yes it’s astronomical but so is the whole hotel experience in general. The whole scene is beyond me!
Why is it better when I pay for and host your boys in my apartment? Serve wine and meat etc. I host on my scale or nicer. If ur in a hotel then you should host on ur scale. Definitely not random ppl but anyone who has invited your son to join them at a meal.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics