Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tenant leaves boxes and bags in shared hall and answers ME!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:11 am
How would YOU deal with a tenant who regularly leaves boxes and bags in a shared hall despite me having asked them nicely, many times, for them not to? We are many years older than them.

The most recent time, yesterday, I took a pic on my phone and sent it to my whatsapp friends. Some advised me to take it up to their apartment and leave it by their door and some advised me to bring it to the basement and have them claim it from there. This is heavy stuff. Im not willing to be their janitor, regularly.

This is NOT a lone incident! The most recent time this week, there were about 10 large items including a very large suitcase and garment bag, and assorted, shopping bags, that was left there for hours, I said "Dont leave anything here for longer than 5 minutes". The tenant answers me "I should ask nicely"!!!! I have, for 7 years!

Ive asked nicely for 7 years, with no change. They come back from a Shabbos away or after a supermarket shop, and use the shared hall as a dumping ground for hours or overnight. Less than an hour would be totally ok. But this happens regularly, and the tenant, a Ben Torah, answers ME in a nasty way!

This tenant has called me "shlecht" because I didnt give permission to build a storage closet in the backyard for outgrown clothing for the children, because I didnt want my view of the backyard blocked. Btw theyre paying many hundreds less than the going rate for rent for this apartment , with no lease. My friends say Im way too nice and not playing with a full deck. Rolling Eyes

WWYD?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:14 am
Why don't you raise the rent ? It's your choice to charge less than going rate and put up with that..

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:15 am
I don't know what to tell you, but please don't use the term [crazy] in that context. It's hurtful to many people who have relatives with intellectual disabilities.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:18 am
out-of-towner wrote:
I don't know what to tell you, but please don't use the term [crazy] in that context. It's hurtful to many people who have relatives with intellectual disabilities.

Sorry, edited.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:29 am
When I was a tenant my enterance was on the side of the house, shared driveway. Only my landlord parked there. In the beginning the parked in the front part, causing DH and I to squeeze through. Once I became pregnant I was beyond annoyed. I rang their Bell or called them every single time to please move the car. Eventually they got the message to stop blocking my path.

Do the same. Call them every single time and tell then you need to the stuff taken away asap so you can safely pass. Hopefully after 20 times the calls won't be necessary.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:35 am
They call you schlecht to your face, you put up with their messes and you still keep them as tenants? Why? If you had a lease, I would put into the contract no bags left in the hallway even for 5 minutes. And penalty for breaking the terms. Is this a legal apartment?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
Is this a legal apartment?

Absolutely legal.

I am not looking to renew the lease at this time, because I may want to sell at some point in the future. Many tenants get raised with no leases, though.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:29 pm
I don't understand your frustration as I don't own a house unfortunately right now but I would like to hear the tenant's point of you as well. yes maybe they should keep the stuff in the basement and not in the hallway but do you give them space? Maybe they need more?

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand your frustration as I don't own a house unfortunately right now but I would like to hear the tenant's point of you as well. yes maybe they should keep the stuff in the basement and not in the hallway but do you give them space? Maybe they need more?

I was a tenent for a long, long time. One of the things that stinks about renting is that storage space is almost always an issue. Renters cant accumulate more than they hav actual space for. If its not sufficiant, they need to rent somewhere else or find somewhere else for their stuff.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:35 pm
We rent an apartment my mother in law owns. The apartment has a decent sized storage locker in the basement that we tell our tenants they should use. We had one tenant who owned way way way more and it was all over the basement. The village was always on our case about it they felt it was a fire hazard. So now we tell tenants that anything that does not fit in the storage locker needs to be stored off site. I can empathize if you have a lot of stuff but I cant get fined for it either. Its not so simple.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:39 pm
We had something similar with our most recent tenant. The difference is that we own the house and they rent the basement. We constantly got packages for them either left on our front steps or put inside the front door. They would leave things for days. To the person who said call them every time, unfortunately this doesn’t help with everyone.
I’ll give you another example. There is a driveway from the sidewalk to our back door. Renting and parking in the driveway was never given to them as an option. Yet they would constantly do it. Not only that, but often they would BLOCK us and then not respond when we called/texted/knocked to ask them to move. I was late for numerous carpools because they blocked me. No matter how many times we told them, they just kept doing it.
Thank god they’re out now. UPS came with a package for them yesterday and I refused. I told the guy they don’t live here anymore and I don’t have a forwarding address for them.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
I was a tenent for a long, long time. One of the things that stinks about renting is that storage space is almost always an issue. Renters cant accumulate more than they hav actual space for. If its not sufficiant, they need to rent somewhere else or find somewhere else for their stuff.

I don’t understand. A home owner can’t accumulate more than they have room for either.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:12 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I don’t understand. A home owner can’t accumulate more than they have room for either.

Correct. But a homeowner can decide to leave stuff in the hallway or basement or put a storage unit in the back. The poster that I quoted asked the landlord if they provide enough space to the tenant to use for storage. My point is that a tenant doesn't have the same luxury that an owner usually has (condos and HOAs aside) to leave stuff wherever. The tenant has to look at a rental and decide if what is provided will be sufficient as is.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:

You must be a tenant. It isn't the landlord's job to provide extra space for the tenant. Some do, but if you need a bigger apartment, you need to rent it.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:13 pm
If that were my tenant, they would have no longer been my tenant years ago.

The nastiness; the below market rent and leaving stuff in the hall after repeated requests - beyond aesthetics, that is probably an illegal fire hazard. Common area halls are supposed to be free of any kind of stuff that blocks or could catch on fire.

My question is why are they still there?

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:15 pm
Inform them in writing that any items left in the hall or other common places will be donated to tzedaka if left there for more than 5 hours, and that they will be responsible for any pick-up fees.

Or instead of whatsapping friends to complain, whatsapp them to say: "Free for the taking! One suitcase, Samsonite, and all contents therein!" or whatever they left in the hall.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:25 pm
DrMom wrote:
Or instead of whatsapping friends to complain, whatsapp them....

They dont Whatsapp or have internet, afaik. Too frum.

dinatov

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:34 pm
You should raise the rent because you charge extra for hallway storage 😛... seriously though, I think you need to issue an ultimatum.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
They dont Whatsapp or have internet, afaik. Too frum.

You said in your initial post that you whatsapped some friends. (?)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:52 pm
DrMom wrote:
You said in your initial post that you whatsapped some friends. (?)

Them referred to the tenants.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics