Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you work with flowers?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:17 am
Looking for someone who can answer some questions...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:43 am
I have a certificate in floral design. How can I help you?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:25 am
I used to and would happy to help if I can.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:27 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a certificate in floral design. How can I help you?

Is this a thing? I’d love to do this!!
Sorry op, go on...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:35 am
Wondering if it's possible to start a flower business from home- specifically if it's possible to do that if I don't have a fridge to store flowers?

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
Wondering if it's possible to start a flower business from home- specifically if it's possible to do that if I don't have a fridge to store flowers?

My brothers wife started a floral business from home but once she officially launched her business she had a refrigerator installed in her basement which literally takes up most of her basement and it is a huge expense . Between $10k-$20k.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:08 am
amother wrote:

It depends what your plans are. I did that but only sold flowers before Shabbos and Yom Tov so the flowers were never lying around for more than a couple of days. Before Shavuos we had the air conditioning on 24/7.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
It depends what your plans are. I did that but only sold flowers before Shabbos and Yom Tov so the flowers were never lying around for more than a couple of days. Before Shavuos we had the air conditioning on 24/7.

Wow. But they can stay fresh for a couple of days without refrigeration? And will they last for more than a day once they are purchased?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
My brothers wife started a floral business from home but once she officially launched her business she had a refrigerator installed in her basement which literally takes up most of her basement and it is a huge expense . Between $10k-$20k.

What did she do with the flowers before she officially launched the business? And is it profitable for her today?

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
What did she do with the flowers before she officially launched the business? And is it profitable for her today?

She made bouquets for her house every week. She sent it to friends who were making simchos. She volunteered and made bouquets for chesed organizations (don't want to give too many details)
But that was her practice phase. She also had a store in her neighborhood sell bouquets from her in Friday's before Shabbos.
She is only in the business for a year and just started doing chasunas. Until recently she did weekly, Yom Tov and lots of Bar Mitzvahs, Vorts and Sheva Brachos. They have not found it profitable yet. But her goal is to do big events like weddings and hope to find the profits in that.
It is a lot of work. She travels to her wholesaler at 4 a.m. at least once but usually twice a week to pick her flowers. They also are busy delivering every Friday until right before Shabbos.
She does multiple simcha arrangements in one day as well.
She also rents space elsewhere to store her stuff since it doesn't all fit in her house (vases and supplies etc)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 12:32 pm
Unless you have an account with a flower wholesaler, your profit margin is going to be very thin. I did flowers for friend's weddings, catered events, and fundraisers mostly. Looking back, I think it was a labor of love.

For a while I worked in a very high end floral shop, and the stress to keep production up was insane. You couldn't slow down for a second without someone yelling at you. (Picture Gordon Ramsey crossed with Cruella deVille) It was very eye opening, realizing how much work went into turning an actual profit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics