Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Disposable pans vs parchment paper
1  2  Next

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:48 pm
I recently moved out of town and it’s a lot more expensive to buy disposable pans. I am starting to think about buying real aluminum pans and use parchment paper but I’m wondering if it works for everything.

I can see it working for cookies. Can I use it for wet things too?? Chicken?? Etc?

Reality

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:53 pm
Why not?

Gw3

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:54 pm
I use it for everything. It cooks things faster so you need to adjust cooking time

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:55 pm
Huh? I line my tins with parchment paper always disposable tins or real...

ahuva06

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:57 pm
Your food will actually cook better! And yes, you can definitely line wet as well as dry foods with parchment paper.

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:10 pm
Who knew Wink

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:36 pm
Cookies bake much better on real pans.
Other food also tastes better when made using real pans but keep an eye on it because it cooks faster.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:41 pm
I save my disposable to use with chicken. Is worth it

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:03 pm
Parchment paper definitely reduces the cleanup effort no matter what you use it with. You will still need to wash the pan, but you can roll up the paper with most of the mess in it.

If you have a large family or frequent guests, it's probably worth getting a couple of bulk cases of 9x13s from "in town" when you can.

cookiewriter

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:05 pm
I bet you can find one of these Jewish places to ship!

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:18 pm
Know any good sites? I see onlyonestopshop but I need $200 for free shipping and I don’t need that much stuff

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:39 pm
What I line with depends on what I am cooking.

Generally for roasting - chicken, meat, even vegetables - I line with heavy duty tin foil.

For baking I use silicone mats as they keep the cookie tins clean and wash easily.

For cakes I've always lined with either parchment paper or greased brown paper bags cut to size. Depends on what I am baking of course as you don't grease an angel food.

chaya7

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 10:46 pm
I get 9*13 pans in Costco, it's available on Google Express too

Teomima

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 1:53 am
And here I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, rarely using disposables.

For cookies, cakes, roasted veggies, etc, yeah, I just use regular pans lined with parchment paper. And while it does work with wetter things as well, I'm confused as to why you would (instead of just cooking chicken in a regular metal/pyrex pan). Is the idea to simply make cleanup easier? You need to wash it anyways, even with paper, so I never bother.

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 2:45 am
Teomima wrote:
And here I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, rarely using disposables.

For cookies, cakes, roasted veggies, etc, yeah, I just use regular pans lined with parchment paper. And while it does work with wetter things as well, I'm confused as to why you would (instead of just cooking chicken in a regular metal/pyrex pan). Is the idea to simply make cleanup easier? You need to wash it anyways, even with paper, so I never bother.

I use heavy duty foil for roasts and it makes cleaning much easier because there generally is just a light film to wash off versus baked on stuff and heavy residue grease which needs to be scrubbed. It’s a completely different cleaning experience.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 4:28 am
I make my chicken in Pyrex, it goes from the oven to the table.
Cookies on a cookie sheet.
Brownies and cakes in a oiled, floured pan.
Roasted vegetables on baking paper on a cookie sheet.
Challah on a cookie sheet.

I rarely use disposable. Real pans just cook better and are easier to handle.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 5:25 am
I only use disposables if I am making extra cakes, kugels and so on to freeze. (also expensive here...plus we pay a lot of money for rubbish removable and they are not recyclable.) I line everything with parchment paper but the chicken leaks through...however I heard foil is not healthy so that is why I use parchment. (I confess I leave the chicken pans for cleaning lady to wash. embarrassed ) I really do not like cooking chicken in foil pans...its too flimsy and the liquid often slops out.

For challa and cookies if you use parchment paper you really don't need to wash the pans. Cakes you may need to. Veg and meat and chicken, pans get greasy and need washing unless you line really well with foil. Buy yourself a bunch of good quality cookie sheets and roasting trays that stack.

I am literally baffled why someone would bake challah in a disposable pan. It seems so wasteful to me.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 5:40 am
I love using pyrex pans, as mentioned above they go from the oven to the table and generally are easy to clean.
Do you not own any real pans?
Baking paper helps a lot.
Don't buy aluminium pans, buy pyrex or better quality stainless steal.
I always use baking paper with disposable pans, apparently the aluminium is not good for you.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 2:08 pm
Parchment paper slows down the cooking as it's coated with silicone, which is what prevents burning. As far as health goes...aluminum is bad, but so is silicone...I guess pick your poison. I use a lot of parchment paper, but I do try to use silicone free salt.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 2:11 pm
I recommend stainless steel, because Pyrex gets a little tricky with baking temperatures. I believe the rule of thumb is to bake at 25 deg. Lower when using Pyrex.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics