Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to get 1 yo to be still for diaper change

amother
White

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 2:25 am
This is my first child and I need tips!

Experienced moms, please tell me what you do to get your older babies to be still for diaper changes. I don't mean perfectly still, but my daughter really tries to get up, roll over, etc and makes it really hard. I always give her a toy to play with while I change her diaper, but it doesn't usually keep her from trying to squirm away, only occasionally works. I tell her sternly not to get up until Ima finishes, and I try to change her as fast as possible, but it's a struggle. I remember as a babysitter changing diapers for a 2.5 year old and did not have this problem. Please help!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 2:33 am
Firmly hold her ankle close to her tummy. Wipe as quickly as you can. Not the crevices. As you reach fir another wipe, she will turn over and sit up. But you’ve already cleaned the parts that would touch the surface. Now lay her down again to finish wiping. If you need to apply diaper cream, open up the diaper and put it under her. Again, hold her ankle to her abdomen and apply the cream. Flip up the diaper and keep a hand on her tummy as you close the diaper.
The real problem is the babies who reach down to touch as soon as the diaper is open. Gross!

I remember my parents changing my sister on the floor with one leg over her chest.

salt

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 2:43 am
Give her an interesting toy - a little toy with lights that flash, or plays music.
Or give her something that's not a toy - those are usually more interesting - your necklace, your watch, your slipper. Something that will keep her attention for a few minutes.

essie14

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 3:05 am
I give my daughter a toy and start singing to her.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:44 am
I hung a sparkly mobile over the changing table, and got it moving when I would put her down. She's be so entranced, that she would forget to squirm.

This is the kid who would otherwise be flinging herself to the ground if I let her.

The great thing is, she never got tired of looking at it, so it always worked. Toys can be thrown, or get boring, but something that sparkles, moves, and is out of reach was the perfect solution for us.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:45 am
Buy a changing pad with a buckle and strap her in.

Give her a toy or paci or bottle to distract her.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:58 am
I sing and have a whole list of songs such as 'down by the bay.'

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:30 am
Sing songs with funny voices and expressions, like old McDonald.

mom!

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:37 am
I'm in the same boat! Here is what works for me:
1. only change on the floor or couch. When I change my children on a bed, I find they start jumping around more.
2. Sing songs (mentioned above) Five little monkeys ect.
3. Play beekaboo I give them a pillow or their pants to hide under.
4. let them hold a toy
5. Be fully prepared before starting, open the wipes, open the tabs of the diaper ect… You don't realize how important this is, because as soon as your hands are busy opening the wipes, you loose your grip.

Good luck!

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 10:09 am
I let him hold something more interesting than a toy Wink...
The package of wipes, cordless phone...

rachelmom1

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 10:27 am
How about if DD is very itchy down there and insists on sticking her hands in. Any good ideas? I'm always calling one of my DC to help out.

987gold

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 10:29 am
Yes, grab a bunch or wipes and give child the package.

NovelConcept

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 10:50 am
Handcuffs.

No! Just joking. Chas v'shalom!

Yeah, it's hard when the little one wants to dance. I found my little one is mesmerized by the sticker on the diaper wipes. She can open and close it over and over again...

rgr

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 11:19 am
Iymnok wrote:
Firmly hold her ankle close to her tummy. Wipe as quickly as you can. Not the crevices. As you reach fir another wipe, she will turn over and sit up. But you’ve already cleaned the parts that would touch the surface. Now lay her down again to finish wiping. If you need to apply diaper cream, open up the diaper and put it under her. Again, hold her ankle to her abdomen and apply the cream. Flip up the diaper and keep a hand on her tummy as you close the diaper.
The real problem is the babies who reach down to touch as soon as the diaper is open. Gross!

I remember my parents changing my sister on the floor with one leg over her chest.

Wow you sound professional!

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 1:12 pm
rachelmom1 wrote:
How about if DD is very itchy down there and insists on sticking her hands in. Any good ideas? I'm always calling one of my DC to help out.

Itchy? I'd find out why and treat it. Should could just feel cold when you wipe her or be exploring rather than itchy. I do the toy and wipe really fast.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 2:57 pm
Here's a revolutionary answer that many of these ladies, like my own mother, will be aghast by (it's a new generation people!)

Change her standing up. In front of a mirror or ideally in the bathroom so she begins to associate it.

Yes it works and that's what I've been doing since 9m.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 5:41 pm
At once point we had "Changing Paci's" - a different pacifier for during the diaper change. Crazy but worked.

We also had "Hands on your head!" and he'd put his hands on his head to keep them out of his diaper.

And what everyone else said.

oneofakind

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 8:13 pm
I've done the standing thing. At a certain point, it's the only way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics