Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Uncovered hair
1  2  3  Next

Shoshana37

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 12:55 pm
hello I recently uncovered my hair due to husband Sad request. long story can't get into details right now. I have two kids in high school they both don't care as long as I am happy and I have two little girls in Lev Beis Yakov when I am around them I still cover and they have no clue what is happening.
my question is I am very worried if someone will see me from school with our head cover and then will ask us to take our children out from there. Do you know if everyone must cover their hair to be accepted in LBY or they care more about the girls. Of course when I go to PTA I cover my hair or any other school events. I am just so tired watching over my shoulders that someone might see me and will not allow my girls to be in a great yeshiva. the truth is I love this school its the best faculty I have ever seen. my older kids went to different schools so I know.
Please advise me. Should I be worried that parents may not want their girls to be friends with my daughters on play dates etc...
I am extremely worried embarrassed .

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:04 pm
Hard living double standards. Another thing it's confusing for kids if school says one thing & parents another. Usually in best interest for kids is to attend the school that hashkafically aligned with your values

pesek zman

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:07 pm
I went to similar type of school and my mom didn’t cover her hair (she did to school events etc) however we didn’t live in the same neighborhood as the school or the teachers so it wasn’t an issue.

hodeez

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:09 pm
You should be more worried about the fact that you're not covering your hair. Why doesn't your husband want it covered?

chulentalakiddush

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 1:42 pm
hodeez wrote:
You should be more worried about the fact that you're not covering your hair. Why doesn't your husband want it covered?

OP said she didn't want to discuss it. She's a grown up and can make decisions about hair covering. I assume you're well intentioned, but I think we should let Imamother to be a place where frum women can speak freely with other frum women without judgement.

irrationalrose

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:05 pm
can you just wear a wide headband when you go out so it looks like you are wearing a headband fall?

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 2:23 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
can you just wear a wide headband when you go out so it looks like you are wearing a headband fall?

Honestly, I think that would be more of a reason to kick a family out of a school then honestly going uncovered.

To try to fool the world with a headband is like a chazir who sticks out his toes and says, "I'm kosher!"

If the OP is uncovering her hair for whatever reason, at least not add dishonesty to the mix. There is hiding, from shame, hoping that no one will see her -- which is a normal human reaction. And then there is plain deceit.

I don't know OP's struggles, and my heart hurts for her that she is going through something that is causing her to lower her standards to below that of the Torah's. It can't be easy.
But at least it is a legitimate struggle. People struggle, but it's not a game.

There is no reason to turn this into a game of how many people can she fool

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 3:24 pm
hodeez wrote:
Please dont start being judgey. The OP said she did not want to discuss it.
And not everyone covers their hair. FULL STOP.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 3:42 pm
What chulentalakiddush and Shabbatiscoming said. (Coincidence? I think so!)

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 3:45 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
Honestly, I think that would be more of a reason to kick a family out of a school then honestly going uncovered.

To try to fool the world with a headband is like a chazir who sticks out his toes and says, "I'm kosher!"

If the OP is uncovering her hair for whatever reason, at least not add dishonesty to the mix. There is hiding, from shame, hoping that no one will see her -- which is a normal human reaction. And then there is plain deceit.

I don't know OP's struggles, and my heart hurts for her that she is going through something that is causing her to lower her standards to below that of the Torah's. It can't be easy.
But at least it is a legitimate struggle. People struggle, but it's not a game.

There is no reason to turn this into a game of how many people can she fool

A wide headband can be a legitimate hair covering, and as long as the OP doesn’t specifically say that she’s wearing a band fall, she’s not fooling anyone by allowing people to assume whatever they want. I don’t understand why this is dishonest.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:00 pm
HUSBAND telling her not to cover is very DIFFERENT from a choice

Alternative

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:

This.
Op, own your lifestyle. Do not be a pushover.
And it is ridiculous to run around hiding. Register your kids to schools that are on board with the choices you make.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:13 pm
Ruchel wrote:
The OP sad "due to husband's REQUEST", that word does not mean being forced. A request is being asked.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:16 pm
Shoshana37 wrote:
hello I recently uncovered my hair due to husband Sad request. long story can't get into details right now. I have two kids in high school they both don't care as long as I am happy and I have two little girls in Lev Beis Yakov when I am around them I still cover and they have no clue what is happening.
my question is I am very worried if someone will see me from school with our head cover and then will ask us to take our children out from there. Do you know if everyone must cover their hair to be accepted in LBY or they care more about the girls. Of course when I go to PTA I cover my hair or any other school events. I am just so tired watching over my shoulders that someone might see me and will not allow my girls to be in a great yeshiva. the truth is I love this school its the best faculty I have ever seen. my older kids went to different schools so I know.
Please advise me. Should I be worried that parents may not want their girls to be friends with my daughters on play dates etc...
I am extremely worried embarrassed .

Stop worrying about what strangers think, and perhaps start thinking about what your children will ultimately think when they become confused about what seems like hypocrisy, and dishonesty...and most of all, perhaps think about what Hashem thinks,,,those are way more important priorities than the strangers. If the school throws your kids out, you can lay the blame with your dh who made his priorities clear by forcing you to uncover.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:18 pm
chulentalakiddush wrote:
OP said she didn't want to discuss it. She's a grown up and can make decisions about hair covering. I assume you're well intentioned, but I think we should let Imamother to be a place where frum women can speak freely with other frum women without judgement.

That’s true but also, if she is here asking advice, I don’t see anything wrong with mother’s voicing all their opinions, even if they disagree with what she’s doing. She might become more aware of some viewpoints and issues she hasn’t considered, when she decided to just do whatever her dh told her to do.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:18 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Stop worrying about what strangers think, and perhaps start thinking about what your children will ultimately think when they become confused about what seems like hypocrisy, and dishonesty...and most of all, perhaps think about what Hashem thinks,,,those are way more important priorities than the strangers. If the school throws your kids out, you can lay the blame with your dh who made his priorities clear by forcing you to uncover.

Why do you always have to be so judgy and mean?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:21 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
The OP sad "due to husband's REQUEST", that word does not mean being forced. A request is being asked.

And we are not obligated to give in to “requests” which require lowering one’s standards of halachah. What happens when he then asks her to wear pants (if she currently doesn’t, or doesn’t want to wear them?) ? What about. And what about When it moves into breaking other areas of halachah? Where do you draw the line? Everyone is responsible for their own religiosity or lack thereof.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:24 pm
Cheiny wrote:
And we are not obligated to give in to “requests” which require lowering one’s standards of halachah. What happens when he then asks her to wear pants (if she currently doesn’t, or doesn’t want to wear them?) ? What about. And what about When it moves into breaking other areas of halachah? Where do you draw the line? Everyone is responsible for their own religiosity or lack thereof.
Personally when I saw the word request in the OP, in my mind that meant a DIALOGUE between husband AND wife, together talking about this. I am sure that the wife did not do this under duress. nd if she did do it under duress, then there are way bigger problems here than hair covering.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:34 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Personally when I saw the word request in the OP, in my mind that meant a DIALOGUE between husband AND wife, together talking about this. I am sure that the wife did not do this under duress. nd if she did do it under duress, then there are way bigger problems here than hair covering.

I wouldn’t assume. I got the opposite impression, that he kind of was insistent,,,op, please clarify.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:35 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Why do you always have to be so judgy and mean?

Projection?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels