Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
First child First time vaccine advice

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:23 am
What advice can you give me re: giving vaccines. So kids will be calm. Not cry too much etc.
Do you give Motrin before?
Any tips appreciated.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:42 am
Bump

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:57 am
My kids have had little or no reaction. For babies, be ready to nurse or give a pacifier right after. For toddlers, a distraction like a cracker or a sticker is usually enough. Older kids, don’t tell them it will hurt or otherwise project any anxieties you may have. It hurts for a second, some burn a little. They may need a small bribe.

momsrus

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:59 am
amother wrote:
Bump

You don't write how old the kid is. Baby will cry a bit, but will quickly forget about it. Ask your pediatrician what to expect, fever etc and how much tylenol to give baby.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:40 am
I would give Motrin 45 minutes before.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 3:44 am
They cry they get over it that's all . I don't give any pain relivers if your child really start getting a high fever take it from there .a little fever after a shot is not a bad thing it's the vaccine working and the body making the anti-bodtys it needs .

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:12 am
Sometimes my babies didn’t cry at all. If they did, they stopped in about 30 seconds. Shots hurt like a pinch hurts. It’s about two seconds of minor pain. Not really a big deal or something you need to do major preparation for.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 6:18 am
Some swear by emla patch

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:35 am
Ask your pediatrician.

Research shows that giving tylenol/motrin around the same time as the vaccine lowers its efficacy. My pediatrician recommends giving it only if the child develops a significant fever (101 or higher). Exercise after the vaccine also boosts its efficacy.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:52 am
Motrin is generally not given to babies under 6 months so unless you're on a delayed schedule don't give motrin without asking your doctor. Personally I found my kids did not have any reactions to the shots other than a minute of crying.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:21 am
Vit c a few days before and after to reduce inflammation

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:18 am
You do not need to give medicine like motrin or tylenol before or after, unless the child is very fussy and/or has fever. Applying ice to the injection site helps a lot. Also, just distract the kid while they get the shot and it's over in a second. One of my kids never noticed and never cried, but the others cried for a few seconds or a minute or two. It's not a big deal and shots do not hurt, it's just a shocker. This is a great video of a pediatrician giving a shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCljDf5veEs

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:59 am
Thank you all for your advice.
I Let them be.
I Prepared them- told them what will happen . (Only one can understand so far...) And they cried for 20 seconds each. (Read a book to them as a distraction)
Now praying they feel good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics