Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My career is nonexistant!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:03 pm
I'm 29 years old with a few kids. I've spent the last 7 years having and raising children and now I'm realize how sorely I'm lacking a solid job in my life.

I was lightly trained (no college, just courses) in a field that I have natural talent in but have very little experience in so far, and therefore earning very very little working as a freelancer.

My plan is to go back out there and find an average paying job in an agency. I'm just really worried that I am far behind in skill level.

I love my family but hate the fact that I let so many years go by, and now, feel like I'm starting from the ground up when I desperately want to have a fulfilling and interesting job! Sigh. Wish I invested and cared more 10 years ago!

justforfun87

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:08 pm
29 years old. You are still a baby! Many people don't find their career paths until their 30's. Don't get discouraged. I was in school with people in their 40's,50's, and 60's. If you got talent in your profession that is terrific. At least you have a direction with where you want to go. Good luck!

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:09 pm
If it makes you feel better... I didnt decide to go to school for a degree till I was 33. Finished when I was 39. I'm 45 and I have 9 children plus a great career BH. We're not rich but its work that's interesting and fulfilling.

Dont regret the years you put into your kids. You're very young yet. Lots of time ahead of you.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:12 pm
Double post

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:13 pm
Can you take more courses online (not necessarily credited, just to improve your skills)? Can you volunteer in order to gain experience? I don't know what field you're in; however, getting to the top of your game in your chosen career will set you apart and allow you to earn more.

And by the way I chose a new career and started studying photography when I was 36. I'm now 40 and regularly sell four figure collections.

Hatzlachah!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:18 pm
Hugs. My career is also basically nonexistant. But I actually spent many years getting a degree in what I thought would be a practical, lucrative field. I am about your age, and I have been working since I finished school (a good handful of years already). But I have yet to find a decent job that makes any money. I've worked part time here and have had temporary positions there, but I have almost no financial benefits from working. It would probably make more sense for me to stay home at this point (which I would actually love to do), but then I imagine it would completely kill any sort of resume I've got. So I just feel lousy, feeling like I've wasted many years and a lot of money on a career that has led me nowhere so far.

I hope you are able to find a good job and build up a decent resume. But don't beat yourself up about staying home. You got so much quality time with your children, and you don't even know if going out to work would have put you much further ahead.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:25 pm
Thank you all for your replies.

I guess what makes me most frustrated is the fact that I was never strongly encouraged to have a good and promising career path. I just worked a bit, got married and had a few babies.

I so badly want to be at the top, doing the morning and afternoon #hustle. I have an entrepreneurial flame burning in me and feel empty with my unfulfilling days of laundry and cooking. I'm also stuck in a way, with very little time to work since I have kids. Feeling hopeless (and technically will feel this way for at least 4-5 more years).

hesha

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:34 pm
See these years of raising kids as investment years
You are so young, you will have plenty of years to put into the workforce in the future
But having babies and raising them is something you can only do now
Try to be present in this beautiful moment
Having said that, maybe you can work part time somewhere so that you can clear your head from the cooking and cleaning

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.

I guess what makes me most frustrated is the fact that I was never strongly encouraged to have a good and promising career path. I just worked a bit, got married and had a few babies.

I so badly want to be at the top, doing the morning and afternoon #hustle. I have an entrepreneurial flame burning in me and feel empty with my unfulfilling days of laundry and cooking. I'm also stuck in a way, with very little time to work since I have kids. Feeling hopeless (and technically will feel this way for at least 4-5 more years).

I've felt many of your feelings. Even after I got a degree in graphic design ( that I paid for myself, since my parents are anti- college), my mother encouraged me to work as a secretary in a big frum office where I'd meet people who would "red good shidduchim" rather than pursue my talents and studies.

At the end of the day, nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished they'd spent more time at the office. Most of our life satisfaction is from the relationships we build and foster with family and friends.

I started studying photography when my baby was a year and slowly built up my business when I sent her to an 18 month playgroup from 9-1.

You CAN be a good mother and have a satisfying career, it will just take flexibility, thinking out of the box, tremendous tenacit, and patience!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics