Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to stop clothes bobbling

zebra111

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 4:26 pm
All my clothes go bobbly after wearing/washing just once. Am I wearing them wrong?? Washing them wrong?!
I wash clothes mostly inside out, mostly on 30degree cycle.
What else can I do to look after them?!

Do I need to start buying a certain material of clothes?

I heard 100percent cotton shouldnt bobble. Is that true? Any ideas where I can find that in jerusalem?!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 5:35 pm
What do you mean by bobbling? Are they getting stretched out? Pimply? Wrinkled?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 5:50 pm
I've never heard that word before, now I'm curious!

zebra111

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 5:57 pm
Ha I guess its an english thing?!
Pimply is a good alternitive word..u know, bitty??

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 6:04 pm
I guess in the US we call it pilling.
Garments have to be washed with like garments. So if I have a delicate garment I wash it on its own instead of with garments that may be made of different fabrics. And always follow the care instructions on the label.
Can you give an example?

zebra111

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 6:21 pm
Right, pilling.

Its happened on tons of stuff, things ive washed by themselves on delicate cycles (according to label instructions), stuff that isnt 'delicate' being washed on normal cycle..
Every shirt that isnt a shell basically

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 6:24 pm
Don't put them in the dryer. You can shave of the piling when it happens.

zebra111

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 6:25 pm
Always line dry.
What, like with a regular razor?!

LeahRivka

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 6:41 pm
It happens because the fabrics most clothes are made from now are cheap. You have to find better quality fabrics for this to not happen. Natural fibers like cotton, wool, and things without lycra.

Most clothes now are not meant to last for more than a season. So that is why manufactures use the cheap fabric. Used to be all clothes were made from good quality fabric that were also natural fibers and they would last for years.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:15 am
zebra111 wrote:
Ha I guess its an english thing?!
Pimply is a good alternitive word..u know, bitty??

That's hysterical. I immediately understood exactly what you meant. I'm British. I would never have imagined there's another word for it.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:20 am
I had an expensive cashmere sweater ($40, marked down from $299 at Nordstrom) that pilled terribly where the arms brushed against the front and sides. I never washed it.

Those shavers are rarely effective at all.

I too, would love to know how to avoid buying clothing that will pill, and how to prevent it from happening.

LeahRivka

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:28 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I had an expensive cashmere sweater ($40, marked down from $299 at Nordstrom) that pilled terribly where the arms brushed against the front and sides. I never washed it.

I too, would love to know how to avoid buying clothing that will pill, and how to prevent it from happening.

The cashmere does it because it has the raised fibers and hair. The movement under your arms makes the fibers and hair roll and form the piles. It's like when yarn is made from fresh fiber. It is rolled and twisted to create the threads of yarn on a spinning wheel. It's the same principle.

If you don't find the shavers helpful you could try using a tape ball to remove them.

myself

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:16 am
I know that other fabrics pill too but stay away from 100% acrylic, it pills terribly.

I did have one sweater with a high percentage of acrylic that didn't pill, but that was an exception. I find that chunky knits are more susceptible.

OP, are you line drying those items?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:03 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:

Have you tried a disposable leg shaver? I know it's not a solution but it can help prolong the use of the sweater in the meantime.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:52 am
ra_mom wrote:
Have you tried a disposable leg shaver? I know it's not a solution but it can help prolong the use of the sweater in the meantime.

I had this on my husband's 100% wool sweater too.

I tried the 2 shavers with the highest ratings on Amazon, and a disposable leg shaver. They helped just about 10%, and the sweaters were still totally unwearable.

I trashed both sweaters before the end of their first season. It's so disappointing.

zebra111

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:10 am
Ahh right glad its not only me!!

I line dry everything.

Like tranquilityandpeace, it happens just from being worn too.
So, what are good fabrics to buy? Its very rare I see here stuff that is 100percent cotton.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics