Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Gift for Boss

EMEN

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:44 am
Any ideas for a gift for my boss? I work remotely and I don't know what he might be interested in so it needs to be a nice generic gift.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:50 am
EMEN wrote:
Any ideas for a gift for my boss? I work remotely and I don't know what he might be interested in so it needs to be a nice generic gift.

No gift for boss.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:19 am
We learnt that female is not allowed to gift her Male boss.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:35 am
EMEN wrote:

I also work remotely. Not planning on any gifts. call it entitlement, but I think the boss is the one who could give gifts, employees don't have to.

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
I also work remotely. Not planning on any gifts. call it entitlement, but I think the boss is the one who could give gifts, employees don't have to.

I agree. Gift down not up. He should be getting you a gift if there is any gift giving!

cm

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:40 am
It depends on the specific workplace, of course, but in general holiday gift-giving goes the other way - bosses give to employees, not the other way around.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:06 am
Wow, every job I've ever had the boss got a gift. Usually a collection was taken up among employees - maybe only $5 a piece - and a nice gift certificate was given with the pooled funds. I never heard of not gifting up. Interesting.
OP, my vote is for a gift certificate if you have no idea what he'd like. Something for his desk could also work... a nice pen, picture frame, small plant... could also work. Or something yummy like a tin of cookies or chocolates.

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:07 am
only in a frumie environment have I ever heard of gifting up. It's backwards.

EMEN

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:13 am
Thanks! I think I like the idea of something for his desk. If I would do a gift card- how much do you think would be appropriate?
I feel a need to express my appreciation. I can sign it as a gift from me and my husband if it's an issue to send from me personally.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:27 am
A gift card with the amount spent made known might feel tacky for gifting up.
Why not just an awesome nice gift size box of chocolates?

Simple1

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:33 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Wow, every job I've ever had the boss got a gift. Usually a collection was taken up among employees - maybe only $5 a piece - and a nice gift certificate was given with the pooled funds. I never heard of not gifting up. Interesting.
OP, my vote is for a gift certificate if you have no idea what he'd like. Something for his desk could also work... a nice pen, picture frame, small plant... could also work. Or something yummy like a tin of cookies or chocolates.

I'm not so familiar with office etiquette. But chipping in is a lot different than giving individually. It's a lot less personal.

Reality

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:14 pm
I agree. Only in frum places do people give the boss a gift. It's total flattery! Don't do it.

The boss is supposed to give you a gift to thank you for your hard work. You are not supposed to give him a gift to thank him for a job!! It's so tacky! Be a good worker and your boss will apreciate that more!!

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:26 pm
Reality wrote:
I agree. Only in frum places do people give the boss a gift. It's total flattery! Don't do it.

The boss is supposed to give you a gift to thank you for your hard work. You are not supposed to give him a gift to thank him for a job!! It's so tacky! Be a good worker and your boss will apreciate that more!!

This. Giving your boss a gift is tantamount to bribery even if your intentions are pure.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 3:46 pm
Don't do that. Inappropriate. If you muuuuuust, give something for his wife or mom

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 4:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Don't do that. Inappropriate. If you muuuuuust, give something for his wife or mom

I wouldn’t. Ishto kegufo. Gift to a family member is like gift to him, ethics-wise. .

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 4:50 pm
zaq wrote:
This. Giving your boss a gift is tantamount to bribery even if your intentions are pure.

Is it really so? If I'm very appreciative to my boss because she is extremely nice to me in extenuating circumstances & always very flexible & easy- may I not show gratitude?

Miri7

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:06 pm
I often donate in the persons honor to a charity for a cause they support. They get a nice card and it’s not awkward. People seem to appreciate it rather than getting more random stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics