Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do I make his payos curl?
1  2  Next

Benevolence

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:20 am
My son's hair does not curl under any natural circumstace. I'll be greatful for any suggestions!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:21 am
Dippity doo gel spray

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:50 am
Curlers and gel

chesed

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:00 am
gel. brush the hairs to the forehead and twirl it down.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:05 am
If it does not curl why dont you leave it streight??

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:07 am
LA Looks gel (number 10) and curl it around your finger.

Some of my nephews get their payos permed.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:12 am
Benevolence wrote:
My son's hair does not curl under any natural circumstace. I'll be greatful for any suggestions!

My son has very straight peyos, I use dippity do #9 w a thin brush and I curl it on my finger.. It always looks amazing

momofboys

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:33 am
I use Garnier Fructis curl shape spray gel..really works amazing.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:36 am
My sons payos is too curly that I tell him to wet his hands to smooth them out.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:50 am
I’ve seen some neighbor boys with a bobby-pin in each one.

happyfaces

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 12:16 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I’ve seen some neighbor boys with a bobby-pin in each one.

This is what I do for my boy's very straight hair. Dippity Do #9 or#10 not sure bobby pin one on each side. He takes them out once there dry.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 12:23 pm
Benevolence wrote:

Pipe cleaners do the trick on even the most straight peyos.

imamother153

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Pipe cleaners do the trick on even the most straight peyos.

How do you do that?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 3:35 pm
imamother153 wrote:
How do you do that?

Wrap the hair around the pipe cleaner. Wait a few hours, bingo, curly hair. Search on YouTube for more extensive videos.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 3:38 pm
I perm my sons’s hair, plus gel spray

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:23 pm
Am I alone in feeling there’s something mildly icky and overly girlish about getting all worked up about forcing curls on a boy with naturally straight hair ? Sure the curls are cute but what message are you giving the kid? That it’s all about appearance, and his natural self isn’t good enough. You probably won’t turn him into a faigalah but you may be turning him into a superficial fop. Just the idea of bochrim wielding curling irons, curlers and setting gel turns my stomach.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
Am I alone in feeling there’s something mildly icky and overly girlish about getting all worked up about forcing curls on a boy with naturally straight hair ? Sure the curls are cute but what message are you giving the kid? That it’s all about appearance, and his natural self isn’t good enough. You probably won’t turn him into a faigalah but you may be turning him into a superficial fop. Just the idea of bochrim wielding curling irons, curlers and setting gel turns my stomach.

What’s a fob?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:

Oh so they should go to chadder looking like a slob? Do you not brush your hair, curl your wig...whatever you do to look neat so do boys need to look neat

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:09 pm
I actually thought there were halachos about males being occupied with their hair in ways that females are. I don't know how the specific issurim are delineated, but I specifically remember a problem with dying hair. So I don't think it's weird to ask a question about boys behaving in a way that is traditionally female when it comes to grooming (though I would use different words.)

I guess one other related question would be whether this is being done to look neat or to follow a certain style (or both?). I imagine most of us wouldn't think twice about combing gel into a boy's hair to get it to stay down vs flying everywhere, but the styling somehow seems different. But again, I don't know the details of any relevant halachos.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:

My now Bar Mitzvah age son always wanted “curly wurly Peyos” like the older boys he saw. Alas his hair was straight as an arrow. One day at aged five for a Chasuna, he let me use pipe cleaners to curl just the Peyos. I didn’t really expect it to work but it did and he was so excited for one day just having his dream peyos. The photo of him at the Chasuna is one of my favourites. We have never done it again because we accept his hair is straight plus his Peyos are a shorter style now.

Everything you write above is just a load of garbage quite frankly. My son isn’t remotely superficial or interested in curling irons and such like. Sheesh.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children