Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
American girl
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Dec 01 2007, 8:54 pm
I am looking to buy an american girl doll for my dd. Any one have any suggestions which one is better? Are they all the same? What about the bitty twin or bitty baby?

Hannah!

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:14 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:28 am
Agree with the pp, EXCEPT for the bitty babies. My mother has made that the present she gets all her 3 y.o. granddaughters and they have no hair to tangle and are pretty tough.

stmom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:40 am
I hope to hashem not to put me into this position to buy my daugther an american doll. what will she want next if I buy her a $100 doll when she is so little?

Hannah!

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 2:43 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 2:49 am
stmom wrote:
I hope to hashem not to put me into this position to buy my daugther an american doll. what will she want next if I buy her a $100 doll when she is so little?

Lol. 100%. Sorry but I think it is the most ridiculous thing! Much of the time the parents feels more of a peer pressure to get it than the kid does to have it. Sure, a kid will surely take it if you give it to them but I think a kid could settle with less. A lot less!

loveit

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 3:25 am
I had one when I was younger and I loved it. I had the Samantha doll (this was before they came out with all the custom ones, they only had 4 different dolls) and I had all her books and it was fun to learn about her and the history of the time. I don't know what they have turned into now, I know it's a huge hit among girls but I found it to be educational when I was younger, that's why I liked my doll and hated barbies!

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 3:49 am
My experience (in our family and those I've seen around us) has been that these are more things that are purchased by grandparents and not parents. Most of us are not going to spend $95 on a doll, no matter how nice or "educational".

YALT

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 5:42 am
Did you see the jewish version?
http://www.galigirls.com/

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:36 am
organization that gives presents for chanukah called me thursday..

Said your daughter is into American girls books right??
I said yes

How would she like a doll with some clothing

I said, GREAT!!

B"H for things like that...

Squash

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
organization that gives presents for chanukah called me thursday..

Said your daughter is into American girls books right??
I said yes

How would she like a doll with some clothing

I said, GREAT!!

B"H for things like that...

you see, that is beautiful. I hope your daughter enjoys it!!!

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:54 am
lucky for her ...

as for the OP ... let her save her monies up - whether it be birthday money or chanuka gelt -untill she has enough to buy it herself

some do it to be like everyone else ... but other's truly love a need a dolly to cherish ...

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 10:25 am
I can't wait to buy my daughter one of those dolls - what a special treat- of course it would mean she was mature and responsible enough to take care of it - its not for a baby.

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
lucky for her ...

as for the OP ... let her save her monies up - whether it be birthday money or chanuka gelt -untill she has enough to buy it herself

If I'm not mistaken, that was the OP whose lucky dd is being presented with a doll?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:19 pm
chavamom wrote:
greenfire wrote:
lucky for her ...

If I'm not mistaken, that was the OP whose lucky dd is being presented with a doll?

No I am not the OP that posted that my dd got offered a doll

Yakira

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:20 pm
I loved the AG magazines when I was younger (just three dolls then). And was disappointed when I saw in real life how 'normal and doll-like' they looked. Still, I like the idea behind it of learning history through individual stories and girls. And I think it's wonderful to have dolls that are girls to play with and not Bratz or Barbies.

Still wouldn't spend the $$ though!

greentiger

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:26 pm
I used to really like American Girls -not the dolls though, the books. They are very educational. The dolls though are really overdone IMO.
Anyone been to the American Girl store in Manhattan where you can get you doll's hair styled?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:28 pm
you must be kidding me

greentiger

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:36 pm
Totally serious. They sit her in a little salon chair, and wrap an apron around her -just like the real thing. Then they have a hospital for the "sick" dolls, and upstairs they even have a resturant that serves all the foods mentioned in the books, and you get a mini highchair to sit your doll at the table with you.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
chavamom wrote:
greenfire wrote:
lucky for her ...

No I am not the OP that posted that my dd got offered a doll

not only did I read it right ... could probably even tell you who is getting that dolly Wink (I've got a hunch)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries