Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Justifying a luxury expense
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:02 pm
I bought a wig before I got married about 3 years ago. I've never liked it and have come to hate it-I've tried every fix I can think of and nothing has substantially improved how I feel about the wig. Since I'm in school I mainly wear a fall but I will be starting work soon where I'll need a full wig every day and I want one that I love. I expect the brand and type I want will cost about $3,000. In order to pay for the new wig without reducing our savings, I took a part time job. But now that I actually have the money I feel too guilty to actually buy the wig. I keep thinking of all the better things I could be doing with that money, mainly by saving it.
For context, we don't BH have any money issues, we cover our expenses with a decent amount of money to save for retirement, down payment etc.
So am I crazy? What should I do?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
I bought a wig before I got married about 3 years ago. I've never liked it and have come to hate it-I've tried every fix I can think of and nothing has substantially improved how I feel about the wig. Since I'm in school I mainly wear a fall but I will be starting work soon where I'll need a full wig every day and I want one that I love. I expect the brand and type I want will cost about $3,000. In order to pay for the new wig without reducing our savings, I took a part time job. But now that I actually have the money I feel too guilty to actually buy the wig. I keep thinking of all the better things I could be doing with that money, mainly by saving it.
For context, we don't BH have any money issues, we cover our expenses with a decent amount of money to save for retirement, down payment etc.
So am I crazy? What should I do?

You’re not crazy, but it might be more sensible to buy a less expensive one. You can certainly get something very beautiful for $1,000 or a bit more. Try that before you spend $3k.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:09 pm
If you can afford and it will give you pleasure, then go for it.

Discretionary income is meant to be spent on non-essential stuff that enhances your life or gives you pleasure. Some people would spend that money on a vacation but nothing wrong with your priority in terms of what to splurge on.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:10 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You’re not crazy, but it might be more sensible to buy a less expensive one. You can certainly get something very beautiful for $1,000 or a bit more. Try that before you spend $3k.

I've thought about that. My original one was around $1,800 so it wasn't a cheap one to start with...and I still hate it. I'm nervous about buying another one for that amount and then still not being happy and spending another $3k after that to get what I really want.

Simple1

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:11 pm
If you can afford it, then I don't see the problem. But if you don't want to spend that much, you can certainly do your research and see if you can get a good sheitel for less money.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:21 pm
Op what kind of wig are you looking for? I have 2 wigs that were both around 1500. One I hate and the other one is amazing. I ve gotten comments on how gorgeous it is when I send it out to be washed. Maybe ppl can recommend cheaper brands that hold up well.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:25 pm
My theory is that no matter how much you spend on a wig, it can be amazing or a royal flop. You can find gorgeous $1,000 wigs and awful $3,000. It's a gamble and it's up to you how much you're willing to gamble with.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
I've thought about that. My original one was around $1,800 so it wasn't a cheap one to start with...and I still hate it. I'm nervous about buying another one for that amount and then still not being happy and spending another $3k after that to get what I really want.

The fact that you hate your first, and it was below $3k, doesn’t mean every less expensive one will be awful. Quite the contrary. Most people I know have wigs in the $1,000 range and they’re stunning! Ask people for recommendations, and look at what they have. I’m sure you can get something great that you’ll love for much less than $3k.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:29 pm
Cheiny, I feel like if I get a lemon and I hate it, at least I didn't spend tons on it.

Also OP some brands have a very good warranty and will replace the wig within a year if you hate it.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:40 pm
OP here- I'm looking for something that looks really super natural and not-wiggy at all. I currently have a popular brand and it's extremely wiggy and the hair is so so thick. All of the sheitel machers I've taken it to who cut it say that they're shocked by how much and how thick the hair is.
I need something with a very natural front that I can put up in bobby pins so its not in my face. From everything I've seen, I think a Yafi has everything I want.
Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:50 pm
I have a miri I spent $1400 on a couple years ago so price has probably increased a little since then but I have worn it every single day since I bought it. I wash it myself because I cant bear to put on a different shaitel for the 2 days it would take a shaitel mac her to wash it

Sebastian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 3:53 pm
I have a Miri that had baby hairs added included in the price). The sheitel macher I used was really fantastic and I love how it looks. It holds a setting for a very long time. You can wash and wear it, if you prefer. It's not super thin or thick, just normal.

It looks like a wig to me but I know wigs. IMO most wigs wiggy unless you blend your own hair in. If you add baby hairs, the wig hair won't be in your face.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 4:02 pm
also OP my miri's cap is super comfy. I checked Yafi's instagram imo my Miri compares. Yafi uses a lace front that's why the front looks natural. You can probably get that for cheaper.

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 4:07 pm
This is a lovely companion thread to the one about handbags!

Please, please get a shaitel that you're happy with. If you're going to be wearing it every day, you need to feel good about it.

To give some perspective, my current shaitel cost $168, and looks good (at least as good as I'm going to get!). I had been talked into a $1400 shaitel for my DD's chassunah a year ago, and I looked absolutely ridiculous. I was dressed as a navy manatee, and it just made me look like a navy manatee who'd tangled with some seaweed. I ended up giving it to someone who collects shaitels for poor kallahs in EY.

I figured it was a sign from G-d that I should wear cheap shaitels and expensive handbags. Very Happy

Hatzlacha, OP, and enjoy!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 4:10 pm
Fox wrote:
This is a lovely companion thread to the one about handbags!

Please, please get a shaitel that you're happy with. If you're going to be wearing it every day, you need to feel good about it.

To give some perspective, my current shaitel cost $168, and looks good (at least as good as I'm going to get!). I had been talked into a $1400 shaitel for my DD's chassunah a year ago, and I looked absolutely ridiculous. I was dressed as a navy manatee, and it just made me look like a navy manatee who'd tangled with some seaweed. I ended up giving it to someone who collects shaitels for poor kallahs in EY.

I figured it was a sign from G-d that I should wear cheap shaitels and expensive handbags. Very Happy

Hatzlacha, OP, and enjoy!

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes, I, ummm, mean, sheitl? LOL

Sorry, but I'm willing to bet that Fox looked gorgeous at her DD's wedding. Whether or not the sheitl looked good.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 4:12 pm
Joking aside, OP, here's what I suggest.

Make a list of brands and sheitl machers or stores you want to try. Choose three price points, and at least 2 in each price point. And commit that you will look until you find one you love, whatever the price point. If you wind up spending all of the money, you'll know that it was because you couldn't get anything that you loved for any less.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 4:40 pm
You worked for your shaitel. Now do your research and get yourself one. It’s something you wear often so you may as well enjoy it. Go to a shaitel macher that will back her product. In case you end up with a lemon.

Librarian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:21 pm
Buy the wig! That being said, a good sheitle macher should know how to thin your current wig by strategically removing wefts. This can tremendously improve the look of your old wig.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:53 pm
I'm going to second Olive. I have 3 wigs. 2 from a cheaper brand around 1k each and one from a brand name that was 2k+. I love the cheaper ones. They hold better, last much much longer and I always get compliments on them. The more expensive one, that I got for shabbos, has given me none stop greif. It doesn't hold, always gets frizzy and looks like it needs to be washed. I wish I had gotten another of the cheaper company instead!

Everyone always said that you should buy the finest hair, blah blah blah but it's the finer hair that is making the issue! And the thicker ones are still thinner than my own hair and I had gorgeous hair! So use your own judgment.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:30 pm
I got a shaitel ($1000) and a fall ($500? not sure) when I got married. Back when I had money--- lol---

The fall lasted maybe 8 years or so. The shaitel lasted about 10 years of moderate wear and another 5 or so years of RARE wearing (and mostly with a hat on top).

In between I've gotten quite a few inexpensive ones--- one curly for $200, one AWESOME fall for $100, one not as awesome fall for $40 ---- all of those have been well loved, mostly because I didn't mind when they died and I tossed them so I didn't feel guilty wearing them often.

And now? I'm pretty much 100% tichels, hats, snoods. No dropping off and picking up, no tangles, no hair in my face. It's been a while so I think I'll buy another under $100 something soonish. I can't see spending $1000 again on this so I probably won't. And $3000? No way for me. But if you can afford it, ENJOY IT!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics