Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do you do?!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:23 pm
How do you pick up a kid from bus stop with other little kids at home in bad weather? (not mention it interferes with their supper/bath/bedtime?)

My babysitter leaves over an hour before my daughter needs to be picked up; high school girls are hard to come by and generally not home at the time I need (or if they are, they can't commit...)

It's often raining, cold.... soon prob snowing too... my preschooler doesn't want to go out -always tells me it's cold and besides it's difficult to take them both... I need to cross a busy street that has no light signal, very difficult with a double stroller in the dark...

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:28 pm
I sit in my car by the bus stop. I also have an arrangement with a neighbor that we trade off days of picking up by the bus stop, so I don’t have to wait every day.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:58 pm
Ugh, I hated those days. We lived in close quarters with no big girls around so we had to have each other's backs. I would drop my little ones off at a neighbor and wait at the dark, cold corner. As soon as he got (what I thought was) old enough, I stopped going. Then another mother told me the bus driver didn't see him on a snowbank and he was nearly killed. After that DH or I went every day, even if it meant packing the kids up.

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:08 pm
I drive with everyone to the corner and wait in the car with all the kids. Put on a story cd for the kids to listen to while we wait

groisamomma

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:15 pm
SingALong wrote:
I drive with everyone to the corner and wait in the car with all the kids. Put on a story cd for the kids to listen to while we wait

I remember now...sometimes we did that, too. Along with the rest of the neighborhood parked on the sidewalk Very Happy

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:20 pm
I leave enough time to bundle everyone up and seal the carriage properly with rain gain. Man I hate it. But do what ya gotta do.

bsy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:40 pm
When I was in 7th grade, my neighbor paid me to get her son from the bus stop.

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:31 pm
How old is the child your picking up? Why can't bus come to your house?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 7:21 am
Op I'm in exact situation. The bus wont stop by my house and school claims they can't put it by my house even though they previous claimed the corner stop needs to be there for someonelse(noonelse is there)...

Anyway, its hard but its the reality for some ppl. In the cold rain...all the kids even the newborn or if kids are sick...they need to go out in the cold rain...snow...and wait for the bus in the morning and evening...

Its hard and for example today my kids are soaked because even with umbrellas , the wind makes it impossible to always use an umbrella. They have to be there early and wait for the bus otherwise the bus wont wait ...

My friend who has eye problems and doesn't drive has to walk her kids 2 blocks from school and take everyone even her infant in the cold to drop off and pick up on Sundays. Sometimes I pick up her sons so that she doesn't have to take the little out in the cold.

Its hard and especially if waiting in the car is not an option like if ppl are in work/heading to work while a babysitter picks up the older kids from bus stop.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:07 am
Lucky there's a bus, and it's accessible by foot! many people if there's a bus, drive to the pick up and that's how it is... But I'd say the kid can come home. I'm not taking everyone out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children