Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What to expect when buying first home
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
Of course, my husband mows the lawn in our backyard.

Growing up my father mowed our lawn as well.

How do I get my husband to?

anonymous55

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:04 pm
You'll probably want to get a home inspection before signing a contract. They can run anywhere from ~$200 to upward of a $1000 depending on what's included. They can find loads of issues that might add a lot of expense such as mold, radon, asbestos, bad roof, tree roots in the sewer main, etc. Also, many times appliances such as heating, ac, boiler, hot water heater will be either old or suboptimal, and replacing them can be expensive. If the heating/ac isn't running efficiently, you may wind up with very high utility bills. Electric heating systems (and dryers, ovens...) will be more expensive to run than gas ones. The more sqft the house, the higher your gas and electric bills will end up. Manytimes ductwork/vents haven't been placed efficiently/sufficiently or they put in an inadequate system. Also, if it's an old house, the pipes may be rusted/rotted which can lead to big problems in the future.

Another expense to consider would be installing a home security system. You may need to replace/clean the gutters. I know a lot of houses in Lakewood have a well system, I'm not sure what kind of expenses might come along with that.

If you have a basement, make sure it's been properly waterproofed and that the humidity isn't too high (you made need to get dehumidifiers). Make sure that the foundation is sound.

Sometimes when you renovate you find out that the subfloor is rotting or no longer level, and then that's an additional expense to replace.

If you are renovating before moving in, you need to get vacancy insurance legally, which is a lot more expensive than regular homeowner's insurance.

I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. I hope this helps Smile

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Do any frum people do it themselves?

Is this a joke? Of course they do. Why wouldn't they?

anonymous55

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:08 pm
Also smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, childproofing.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:14 pm
1. Lighting fixtures
2. Window coverings
3. New appliances (check with every house). Dishwashers generally can't be kashered. They are made out of plastic.
4. If the counters aren't 'kasherable' new countertops
5. Ditto ditto Sinks (we kashered our counters. Put in a new sink
6. Put in another sink and plumbing for the sink. (for some this is optional. And they can manage with just one sink. Like families that don't eat a lot of dairy or dairy allergies - like my sister's family.)
7. Mezuzahs
8. Indoor and Outdoor maintenance.
- extermination if needed. Bugs, mice, outdoor chipmunks. (They look cute. But they can really wreck havoc on your foundation and any outdoor structure. I've seen their damage it's awful)
- maintaining the grass, trees and shrubs. Do you have nice landscaping? That takes more work/money to maintain.
- cutting the grass weekly at times and by weekly at times. During spring summer and fall months. And of course you can do this yourself. My neighbor does it. She loves doing it. Just get yourself a lawn mower and some basic tools to maintain the trees/shrubs, (if you have any) and your good to go. Mow away!
I don't enjoy cutting the grass but I'm the crazy Lady with the orange fiskar 16 ft stick trimming the trees and pruning/shaving the bushes. Can't Believe It LOL
- getting rid of the leaves come fall (depending on how many trees you have. We have 20+ trees and shrubs. They all exceot for 2 shed fall time... loooots and loooots of leaves....)
- maintaining the gutters, deck and power washing the roof. (Should be done yearly.)

We pay water sewer and garbage (I think $20 monthly) on one bill.

That's after closing costs, and of course inspections. Radon detection testing. And if it's an older house, it's a good idea to also do a sewer inspection.

I think I covered everything.

emzod42

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:15 pm
also take note of how old certain appliances and parts of the house are (ex: fridge, hot water heater, roof, washer/dryer, ac system, furnace). Some of those may be working fine at the time of selling but they could need to be repaired or replaced at any time. Budget some $ for unexpected repairs because unless the house is brand new there's always something.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:16 pm
Window shades are a biggie (weve moved several times)

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:17 pm
Don't forget to test for lead. Too many frum kids with lead poisoning.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
How do I get my husband to?

Ha! I have the same question!
So far, my very very old, old Neighbor (old as in age and old as in he sold his hkuse and moved the next town over. Lol) from the back comes by every week or so to cut it for a good price. But he uses a push mower (which is actually healthier for the grass) but he works so hard I'm always nervous he shouldn't have a heart attack in front of my eyes!
And I hope he survives the winter.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:21 pm
anonymous55 wrote:
You'll probably want to get a home inspection before signing a contract. They can run anywhere from ~$200 to upward of a $1000 depending on what's included. They can find loads of issues that might add a lot of expense such as mold, radon, asbestos, bad roof, tree roots in the sewer main, etc. Also, many times appliances such as heating, ac, boiler, hot water heater will be either old or suboptimal, and replacing them can be expensive. If the heating/ac isn't running efficiently, you may wind up with very high utility bills. Electric heating systems (and dryers, ovens...) will be more expensive to run than gas ones. The more sqft the house, the higher your gas and electric bills will end up. Manytimes ductwork/vents haven't been placed efficiently/sufficiently or they put in an inadequate system. Also, if it's an old house, the pipes may be rusted/rotted which can lead to big problems in the future.

Another expense to consider would be installing a home security system. You may need to replace/clean the gutters. I know a lot of houses in Lakewood have a well system, I'm not sure what kind of expenses might come along with that.

If you have a basement, make sure it's been properly waterproofed and that the humidity isn't too high (you made need to get dehumidifiers). Make sure that the foundation is sound.

Sometimes when you renovate you find out that the subfloor is rotting or no longer level, and then that's an additional expense to replace.

If you are renovating before moving in, you need to get vacancy insurance legally, which is a lot more expensive than regular homeowner's insurance.

I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. I hope this helps Smile

Wow! thank you for this info

srbmom

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:21 pm
Quote:
If the counters aren't 'kasherable' new countertops

This is the second time I saw this line. We couldn't kasher our counters but it didn't cross my mind for even 2 seconds to put in new ones. I just don't put anything boiling down on the counter. I always use trivets. (Growing up I had laminate counters so this was the norm in my home anyway) Is this so out of the ordinary?

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:24 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
1. Lighting fixtures
2. Window coverings
3. New appliances (check with every house). Dishwashers generally can't be kashered. They are made out of plastic.
4. If the counters aren't 'kasherable' new countertops
5. Ditto ditto Sinks (we kashered our counters. Put in a new sink
6. Put in another sink and plumbing for the sink. (for some this is optional. And they can manage with just one sink. Like families that don't eat a lot of dairy or dairy allergies - like my sister's family.)
7. Mezuzahs
8. Indoor and Outdoor maintenance.
- extermination if needed. Bugs, mice, outdoor chipmunks. (They look cute. But they can really wreck havoc on your foundation and any outdoor structure. I've seen their damage it's awful)
- maintaining the grass, trees and shrubs. Do you have nice landscaping? That takes more work/money to maintain.
- cutting the grass weekly at times and by weekly at times. During spring summer and fall months. And of course you can do this yourself. My neighbor does it. She loves doing it. Just get yourself a lawn mower and some basic tools to maintain the trees/shrubs, (if you have any) and your good to go. Mow away!
I don't enjoy cutting the grass but I'm the crazy Lady with the orange fiskar 16 ft stick trimming the trees and pruning/shaving the bushes. Can't Believe It LOL
- getting rid of the leaves come fall (depending on how many trees you have. We have 20+ trees and shrubs. They all exceot for 2 shed fall time... loooots and loooots of leaves....)
- maintaining the gutters, deck and power washing the roof. (Should be done yearly.)

We pay water sewer and garbage (I think $20 monthly) on one bill.

That's after closing costs, and of course inspections. Radon detection testing. And if it's an older house, it's a good idea to also do a sewer inspection.

I think I covered everything.

oooh! thank you! I'm starting to get nervous about all the small expenses and upkeep!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:26 pm
srbmom wrote:
Quote:
If the counters aren't 'kasherable' new countertops

This is the second time I saw this line. We couldn't kasher our counters but it didn't cross my mind for even 2 seconds to put in new ones. I just don't put anything boiling down on the counter. I always use trivets. (Growing up I had laminate counters so this was the norm in my home anyway) Is this so out of the ordinary?

Asaik, you you shouldn't put food directly on a surface that's almost definitely trief.
Like when you cut up an apple and don't use something underneath. Or a kid puts a slice of cheese, or bread....

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:34 pm
We got ready condo when we moved in but still added money for window gates, extending porch gates higher up, alarm system. Spotlights. In house speaker system. Removed a wall & added French doors which meant moving over the electricity on that wall, moving over door, straightening out the wall & erecting new one. Shelving in closets. Appliances. Painting. Scraping. Blinds.

We didn't get any medicine chests in bathrooms as promised. We were charged extra for a porch they added on own that wasn't on plan.

Monthly maintenance fee. Water bill. Mouseproofing. Safety gate for fire escape. If not well insulated people add foam insulation. If central unit not strong enough people add in split units. People add nicer moldings people change doorknobs. . We changed counters, sinks & faucets & layout of kitchen which had to be added. We got bigger dinnete set, couch. Hirisers, desk/hutch for kids room.

You can add Light fixtures/chandeliers. Mirrors/consoles the list is endless....you can spend alot & add in many extras even if you supposedly get things in ready move in condition.

It depends what you are getting, the conditions of it, what your needs are, how fancy or upgraded you want to make your house, what your budget is. Sky is the limit. Have fun.

People do intercoms, buzzers, shabbos timers, central vaccum, circuit tv screens/eyes, wiring for cable tv, internet connection, put in cabinets in laundry room/ pesach kitchen, heated sidewalks, concrete in yards or front, landscaping with trees/flowers.
Under counter lighting. Porch/deck decor. Like lighting. Tiling. Fences. Patio furniture. Pathways. Plants. Fancy front doors & knobs. Rugs/mats. Bathroom accessories. New towels matching to bathroom or kitchen. New bedding.

Only you know what you want or need & what you can afford.

srbmom

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:43 pm
Quote:
Asaik, you you shouldn't put food directly on a surface that's almost definitely trief.
Like when you cut up an apple and don't use something underneath. Or a kid puts a slice of cheese, or bread....

Ok, never heard this before. My Rav definitely doesn't hold like that but I can hear such a thing. We were told to just clean the counters well and then we could put anything down on them as long as it's not "yad soledes bo".
In any case, OP, ask your LOR before paying for such an expense to find out if it's necessary

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:47 pm
Just FYI re appliances, two things:

Dishwashers can't be kashered for a year (according to most) so you may want to spring for new racks or an entire new machine.

Also, if you're buying from a non Jew, the appliances are prob not typical "Jewish" ones, I.e with holiday mode etc. We love the huge ss fridge that came with the house we recently bought, but there's no way to disengage the automatic light in the freezer for shabbos. So right now we have no freezer on shabbos, which is fine for now, but probably means we'll be buying a standalone freezer sometime soon...

Another expense we didn't think of is privacy trees. Lots of these homes come with lovely views of the neighbors' deck and pool...

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:00 pm
You can buy a little gadget at hardware store to control fridge/freezer lights for shabbos. It's a sliding switch that holds the light switch down & after shabbos we just slide it back to let the light switch work.

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:22 pm
Oy! Compiled a whole list & it flew away.
Fence for property.
Privacy barriers for fences /decks to weave thru.
Mailboxes/outdoor lighting/ motion sensors
Garage( check if roll down door working)
Driveways/sheds/ trees
Doorbells/knockers/screen doors/screened windows/screened porches/ bug zappers.
Pools/swings sets/fire pits/ patio furniture/ deck lighting_plants

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:35 pm
Appraiser to appraise valuables in home before setting up ins.
Make sure if included in plan or need sep
Fire/flood/ natural disasters/ burglary/ disability/ if someone else suing

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:38 pm
Lawyers for tax abatement or first time home owner grants if shayich.
School taxes.
Post construction cleaning in house. Demolition & dumping.
Mold removal.
Sukkah/sheds/sky lights/moving roofs & mechanism for in house sukkahs.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics