Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please no bashing
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:53 am
I'm looking for real advice here. As of right now I'm eligible for some government programs (medicaid, foodstamps, etc). I got offered a higher paying, much more demanding job. I know there are certain salaries that are not worthwhile in a situation where it's possible to be on programs with a lower one. I heard there is bracket that is unfortunate to be in for this reason. Does anyone know numbers? If it's helpful to know, I have a baby and my husband is learning (I support - any pennies from our parents is reprted don't worry. Smile )

Thanks!!

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:08 pm
Sorry can't help with your particular question (it might be helpful to post what state you live in, as I believe benefits can vary).

But something to consider when deciding whether to take or reject to keep benefits: would experience in the new role lead to more lucrative opportunities in the future? If yes, it might be worthwhile to take it even if you lose out on some benefits now.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:17 pm
Each state, and each program within each state, has different income limits. Your best bet would be to Google for more information on different programs within your state.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:18 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Sorry can't help with your particular question (it might be helpful to post what state you live in, as I believe benefits can vary).

But something to consider when deciding whether to take or reject to keep benefits: would experience in the new role lead to more lucrative opportunities in the future? If yes, it might be worthwhile to take it even if you lose out on some benefits now.

Good point, I'm in NYC. And that definitely makes sense but its hard to think like that when I know eventually we'll have 2 incomes. Also if I could negotiate salary a little higher or if I'm riiight above the cap to receive medicaid then it might be worth working less hours.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Good point, I'm in NYC. And that definitely makes sense but its hard to think like that when I know eventually we'll have 2 incomes. Also if I could negotiate salary a little higher or if I'm riiight above the cap to receive medicaid then it might be worth working less hours.

Whatfor is right, I know people who were so afraid to give up they benefits that they never took the better paying job and ended up stuck.

Eventually you will have two incomes, but your husband will be starting on the bottom and IY"H your family will also be growing and it won't be enough. And as your kids get bigger your expenses grow, tuition is expensive,you will probably need a larger place to live, you will have to buy more food, clothing gets more expensive etc.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:26 pm
Insurance is a huge factor in any job change even for those who aren’t on Medicaid. You need to find out how much your premiums will be and also the deductibels and copays. The salary needs to be enough to cover that new expense for you and dh. Your child should be able to stay on child health plus you just might have to pay a premium.

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:26 pm
You can pm me for someone to contact in NYC who could help

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:31 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Whatfor is right, I know people who were so afraid to give up they benefits that they never took the better paying job and ended up stuck.

Eventually you will have two incomes, but your husband will be starting on the bottom and IY"H your family will also be growing and it won't be enough. And as your kids get bigger your expenses grow, tuition is expensive,you will probably need a larger place to live, you will have to buy more food, clothing gets more expensive etc.

For sure!! At this point though I can negotiate with them so I'm trying to make sure that I'm doing the right thing from all angles. You're saying though just take as much money as I can get?

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
For sure!! At this point though I can negotiate with them so I'm trying to make sure that I'm doing the right thing from all angles. You're saying though just take as much money as I can get?

Yes, take as much as you can get, you can only grow from there. And also negotiate what you can expect in raises in the future.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:36 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Yes, take as much as you can get, you can only grow from there. And also negotiate what you can expect in raises in the future.

Ok, thank you!

Its Friday

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:37 pm
I think yes. The limit for keeping at least your kids has been higher recently. Im not sure if your company is helping towards medical insurance or not. If they help then for sure it pays to get the higher wages. Its like you are unchaining yourself and your DH from the food stamp Medicaid chains. If they dont help its a bigger temptation. My company does not give a penny toward the medical insurance but at least they sell it. I pay close to 500 a month for the whole family for medical plus dental. Its worth it because my DH does not feel he needs to earn little because we may lose Medicaid. (On top of the 500 I pay 30 for each visit and cheap copays at pharmacy and 10 percent of the dentist out of network. My dental is excelent ) my policy for medical is OKish. My previous policy for medical was a luxury. But Im still covered better than Obamacare. I think its healthy. Once I was blessed by insurance thru my company I never turned back. I never thought that we could have should have. If you get Obama care its very exxpensive tho.

Last edited by Its Friday on Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:42 pm
Its Friday wrote:
The limit for keeping at least your kids has been higher recently. Im not sure if your company is helping towards medical insurance or not. If they help then for sure it pays to get the higher wages. Its like you are unchaining yourself and your DH from the food stamp Medicaid chains. If they dont help its a bigger temptation. My company does not give a penny toward the medical insurance but at least they sell it. I pay close to 500 a month for the whole family for medical plus dental. Its worth it because my DH does not feel he needs to earn little because we may lose Medicaid. (On top of the 500 I pay 30 for each visit and cheap copays at pharmacy and 10 percent of the dentist out of network. My dental is excelent ) my policy for medical is OKish. My previous policy for medical was a luxury. But Im still covered better than Obamacare.

This job would not give any money towards insurance or even sell it. I'll still be on my parent's for a while but my husband, baby and future kids iyh will need. How many kids do you have?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:42 pm
Please contact someone who can help you figure out the numbers before deciding. If you have assistance now, losing it will be a rude awakening for you. Your dh may need to stop learning and go to work. Would your employer fully pay insurance for you and family? If so, you'd just need to address losing food stamps. Your family will need to change its food habits. If you are on section 8, its hard to make up for that.

This can be a very controversial question on this site, so please be careful with advice posted here.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
Please contact someone who can help you figure out the numbers before deciding. If you have assistance now, losing it will be a rude awakening for you. Your dh may need to stop learning and go to work. Would your employer fully pay insurance for you and family? If so, you'd just need to address losing food stamps. Your family will need to change its food habits. If you are on section 8, its hard to make up for that.

This can be a very controversial question on this site, so please be careful with advice posted here.

Thats why I came here because I don't know who to ask lol. It would not be worth losing the years my husband could spend learning even if it helps us financially in the long run. Aahh I'm so confused!!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:47 pm
I'm currently in the bracket that you don't want to be in - or maybe slightly above. I work hard and spend a fortune on insurance but I am SO GRATEFUL to be here! Benefits look nice but they are like a jail - you can never get out and the more children you have and the more benefits you earn the harder it is to break free. Do it now when you only have one child and iyH it will pay off big time. The only caveat is to make sure you are in a profession that has growing power. To be stuck right above the limit with no way of getting past that (and no way of paying your insurance)- that's pretty bad.

Just be ready to make more money than others and at times feel like you have less. In the long run, you'll still come out ahead. There's nothing like the freedom of paying your own way (with the help of Hashem) and freeing yourself from the temptation to lie, cheat and steal to stay on programs is very liberating as well.

Hatzlacha! (I remember all too well, the terror when I filed my income tax return and realized I was no longer eligible for Medicaid!)

Its Friday

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:51 pm
I have 5 kids. Yeah I have opinion only when they at least sell. I may be talking with a "stomach full". Obama care would be the worst in my opinion. The deductibles are the killers. I think you need like UJO To help on pen and paper. Or PM me I will tell you who I used privately when I qualified for government insurance. I went there to ask questions when my married daughter needed advice too.
As far as food stamps I never was on. We did not want to get used to it. If your DH will join the workforce in the next few years might also change things for better or worst. If he makes it an issue to go only where they offer or at least sell medical insurance, you may see relief then. I wonder how easy is for a man to find a job that sells at least insurance.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
I'm currently in the bracket that you don't want to be in - or maybe slightly above. I work hard and spend a fortune on insurance but I am SO GRATEFUL to be here! Benefits look nice but they are like a jail - you can never get out and the more children you have and the more benefits you earn the harder it is to break free. Do it now when you only have one child and iyH it will pay off big time. The only caveat is to make sure you are in a profession that has growing power. To be stuck right above the limit with no way of getting past that (and no way of paying your insurance)- that's pretty bad.

Just be ready to make more money than others and at times feel like you have less. In the long run, you'll still come out ahead. There's nothing like the freedom of paying your own way (with the help of Hashem) and freeing yourself from the temptation to lie, cheat and steal to stay on programs is very liberating as well.

Hatzlacha! (I remember all too well, the terror when I filed my income tax return and realized I was no longer eligible for Medicaid!)

Thanks! I like hearing that you have been in this situation and it worked out for you! Can I ask how much you make?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! I like hearing that you have been in this situation and it worked out for you! Can I ask how much you make?

Currently, in the 70k range but I'm working on opening my own business which will iyH bump that amount up significantly. If I would be on programs I wouldnt be able to make more than 40k. People would tell me that if I added up the cost of everything that I pay for (that I could have been on programs for) I don't come out too ahead. But I disagree - I think I am ahead because I'm working on my skills and work ethic to take me further with the help of Hashem!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking for real advice here. As of right now I'm eligible for some government programs (medicaid, foodstamps, etc). I got offered a higher paying, much more demanding job. I know there are certain salaries that are not worthwhile in a situation where it's possible to be on programs with a lower one. I heard there is bracket that is unfortunate to be in for this reason. Does anyone know numbers? If it's helpful to know, I have a baby and my husband is learning (I support - any pennies from our parents is reprted don't worry. Smile )

Thanks!!

Is this even allowed? I thought government programs were for people who could not work, not for people choosing not to work in order to pursue learning? Wouldn't this be considered stealing? Why learn Torah which says "do not steal" when the actual learning is causing you to steal? I'm curious to know what the rabbonim say about this.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
Is this even allowed? I thought government programs were for people who could not work, not for people choosing not to work in order to pursue learning? Wouldn't this be considered stealing? Why learn Torah which says "do not steal" when the actual learning is causing you to steal?

He's in a yeshiva that is considered a rabbinical school (and he's going for smicha). He also does work study and makes a little bit a year. In addition his parents give us some money and it's his income. We are constantly updating the government and make sure they know everything about our finances. They approved so I'm not fighting it.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics