Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teachers Maternity leave
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

clakop

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:36 am
In my country maternity leave is 6 months paid and other 6 unpaid or partially paid. If you are a mother of a newborn you need time with your baby! I'm very happy of living where I live. I'm a teacher, but as many go you said, I'm still a mother and a person outside of my job.

smilethere

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:40 am
amother wrote:
For how long is it normal for teachers to get maternity leave? I thought they get 6 weeks.
My daughters teacher is on Maternity leave and the principal said they give 2 months. My daughters class does not like their substitute and its affecting her work, the sub is not teaching in such an interesting way. Is it right for teachers to get 2 months??
I live in New York if it matters.

I actually think it is cruelty animals to make mothers come back to work so fast!
As mentioned we get up to 9 months (partly) paid leave, although most teachers come back before then. It is horrible to expect mothers often of big families to come back at 6 weeks!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:42 am
The problem isn't the teacher's maternity leave, it's that the substitute isn't doing a good job. So deal with that.

(When I was an adjunct instructor at a university, I was back in the classroom the day after my son's bris. I had no leave at all.)

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
For how long is it normal for teachers to get maternity leave? I thought they get 6 weeks.
My daughters teacher is on Maternity leave and the principal said they give 2 months. My daughters class does not like their substitute and its affecting her work, the sub is not teaching in such an interesting way. Is it right for teachers to get 2 months??
I live in New York if it matters.

Imagine if you were forced to teach 30 little girls every day just 6 weeks after giving birth without even managing to get to the mikvah yet and leaving your precious little newborn with a stranger while you work. I work in an office setting and took off 8 weeks each time and wish I could have afforded to go back after 12 weeks instead. I cried for the first 5 1/2 months back.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
The problem isn't the teacher's maternity leave, it's that the substitute isn't doing a good job. So deal with that.

I think this is the main point. I covered the same teacher's leave twice, once as a brand new teacher, who was struggling, once as an experienced teacher. That first year both the kids and I counted down till the teacher came back. The second time, the teacher was out much longer, but no one minded because the kids were learning happily with me.
The problem isn't the teacher taking off, it's the sub not working out. Talk to the principal, maybe the sub needs a reminder or the teacher needs to send better work. However, finding maternity subs is quite hard.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 8:58 am
Am I the only one who doesn't get the connection between returning to work and mikva???

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:06 am
pause wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the connection between returning to work and mikva???

Mivka marks "being back to regular self" in this context.. back to status quo .. which is what gong back to work marks.

Also - Mikvah marks about when body is 'healed'.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:09 am
I always went back to work before mikva, one has nothing with the other.
I'm curious to know how much maternity leave full time office workers get. I got about 6 weeks. What about you all?

pause

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
Mivka marks "being back to regular self" in this context.. back to status quo .. which is what gong back to work marks.

Also - Mikvah marks about when body is 'healed'.

I don't agree with this at all.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 9:35 am
Ny now gives 8 weeks of paid leave btw. OP complain about the sub if she isnt good.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:03 am
simba wrote:
Are you really complaining about a 8 week maternity leave? That is minimal amount of time needed to just come out of the throes of foginess and go to the Mikvah and feel human again.

It is the schools responsibility to have a proper subsitute.

That’s not true. Some people recover faster than others , and some people get to the Mikva faster than others. After my last baby, I felt back to myself in the hospital!!
Part of the purpose of maternity leave is to give the new mom some bonding time with her baby. It’s also to let her get into a good rhythm.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:04 am
pause wrote:

I’m with you. Going to Mikva post baby has nothing to do with maternity leave.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:09 am
clakop wrote:
In my country maternity leave is 6 months paid and other 6 unpaid or partially paid. If you are a mother of a newborn you need time with your baby! I'm very happy of living where I live. I'm a teacher, but as many go you said, I'm still a mother and a person outside of my job.

How is this implemented if one is a teacher? Does one still take on a teaching job for the year, knowing that she will be on leave for 6 months of it?

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:24 am
OP, don’t take this as criticism, am just curious... have you ever gone back to work after a baby and at how many weeks?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
I always went back to work before mikva, one has nothing with the other.
I'm curious to know how much maternity leave full time office workers get. I got about 6 weeks. What about you all?

I don't get any paid leave but take 8 weeks off to try to get back to myself.

morah.coffee

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:06 am
As a teacher myself, my school gives unpaid 6 weeks. I plan to also use all my vacation days in addition.
I don't know how it will be humanly possible to come back to a stressful job which requires mostly work at home, and a lot of physical energy in school after a C-section and a baby who will be born and goes straight to the NICU. I don't even know if after the 6 weeks my baby will even be home with us, let alone worry about preparing, grading, etc.
Legally, I would not lose my job and it is the schools responsibility to have a competent substitute. Obviously I feel bad for the school and my students, but as a PP said, a teacher is also a wife and a mommy and has a whole life outside her classroom. When I told my principal about my maternity leave her response was that the most important thing we can teach our students is that a being a Jewish mother is the most beautiful and important thing a woman can do, and what better way to teach that to our students than have their teachers role model that for them.

P.S. this is coming from a teacher who commuted for nearly 3 hours each direction for her job after she got married in the middle of the year because she felt it was not right to leave the school and the students mid-year. Teachers are extremely dedicated to their students, but then there are always situations in life which will become more important.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:12 am
trixx wrote:
I think they should get even longer.

Me too

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:35 am
I went back at 6 weeks to a teaching job because the school pressured me. I was very weak and had not gone to the Mikvah yet. I literally felt myself bleeding as I was teaching from the strain and pressure.

I was forced to quit two weeks later because I literally could not manage.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:48 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Legally an employee can take off up to three months for maternity leave without getting fired. Most people I know though only take six weeks because they can’t afford to lose that much pay. But if a teacher wants to take longer then they are allowed to (legally).

Fmla is dependent on the number of employees (50 full time) and hours worked (about 28 hours per week for a 10 month teaching job) Many teachers aren’t really eligible for fmla.

However I would hope that most of us would fagin a teacher at least 8 weeks off and time to bond with her baby. That a newborn shouldn’t go to babysitter at 6 weeks.

Many teachers don’t get paid during this time so it’s not like there is insentives not to return. (In nj a teacher can get paid 12 weeks - or get paid 6 weeks and save 6 weeks for the summer)

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 11:54 am
Ravenclaw, I said in previous posts that I have gone back to a full time job after barely 6 weeks, and so have many women I know.
Teaching is a part time job.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children