Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me find high school for dd BROOKLYN
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:41 am
Hello
My DDT’s is in bais yakov 8 grade
I have no money and energy to apply for schools I know nothing about
First we thought of homeschooling
Then yesterday my dtr said that maybe she would like to go to HS to have friends and socialize.
How do I start now.
Which schools
We looking for something near marin park in Brooklyn. It should be non pressured school
Thankyou

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:22 am
I think the least pressured school in flatbush is BYA. Don't know if it is a good fit for your daughter.

momX4

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:38 am
Speak to your dd's teachers and principal. They should be able to help you.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:26 am
What type are you/ your daughter? There are schools ranging from very yeshivish, to very modern...

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:57 am
Reality wrote:
I think the least pressured school in flatbush is BYA. Don't know if it is a good fit for your daughter.

For "chilled" atmosphere and academics, I think BYBP is the leader of the Bais Yaakov pack. Everyone whom I know who went there were really happy and friendly - but take into account, they all were also naturally social, which helped them navigate the large class size. The administration was very accepting "back in my day," too.

If OP meant chilled atmosphere and strong academics, LBY might be a fit. I haven't lived in Brooklyn for several years, so I'm not up to date, but last I heard they have a very good reputation.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:01 am
Rappel wrote:
For "chilled" atmosphere and academics, I think BYBP is the leader of the Bais Yaakov pack. Everyone whom I know who went there were really happy and friendly - but take into account, they all were also naturally social, which helped them navigate the large class size. The administration was very accepting "back in my day," too.

If OP meant chilled atmosphere and strong academics, LBY might be a fit. I haven't lived in Brooklyn for several years, so I'm not up to date, but last I heard they have a very good reputation.

I'm guessing you mean Bais Yaakov high school? BYBP is an elementary school.
Bais Yaakov high school is definitely very frum/yeshivish, so we first have to know what type op is.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:13 am
True that, plum. However, not everyone whom I know who went there came from yeshivish backgrounds; some were from very "atypical" homes. All were accepted, and they all did well there, socially, which seems to be what OP's daughter is looking for.

I'm thinking, though...OP's daughter is currently in an elementary school. Where are her current friends going next year?

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:13 am
Op said she lives in marine park. The local schools are lev, prospect, mesores and bya. OP said her daughter is in a bais yaakov now so I am not including schools like shulamit.

Of those 4 choices bya is the least pressure.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:24 am
Reality wrote:
Op said she lives in marine park. The local schools are lev, prospect, mesores and bya. OP said her daughter is in a bais yaakov now so I am not including schools like shulamit.

Of those 4 choices bya is the least pressure.

Academically, maybe. Socially...

I haven't lived in Brooklyn for several years, so I'm not up to date, however: It used to be that you needed protektzia/yichus in order to get into BYA. They were considered extremely exclusive in their student selections. That fostered a certain culture, and in order to fit in socially, you needed to be descended from a Torah dynasty, and/or sometimes be insanely rich.

I repeat my vote for Lev.

I forgot about Mesores... They also had really nice girls going there, and a much smaller grade size than Bais Yaakov. They were rigidly yeshivish, if I recall, but in other respects they were very flexible and welcoming.

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:26 am
If you want a warm atmosphere close to Marine Park, Lev Bais Yaakov seems like your best option.

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:30 am
Is lev still a warm school? I heard things changed?

mom39

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:38 am
Bnos Yaakov is a school that does does not pressure academically. They are by Foster Ave and Ocean Pkwy. Im sure there are kids from Marine Pk that go there

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:48 am
Rappel wrote:
Academically, maybe. Socially...

I haven't lived in Brooklyn for several years, so I'm not up to date, however: It used to be that you needed protektzia/yichus in order to get into BYA. They were considered extremely exclusive in their student selections. That fostered a certain culture, and in order to fit in socially, you needed to be descended from a Torah dynasty, and/or sometimes be insanely rich.

I repeat my vote for Lev.

I forgot about Mesores... They also had really nice girls going there, and a much smaller grade size than Bais Yaakov. They were rigidly yeshivish, if I recall, but in other respects they were very flexible and welcoming.

Really? I went to bya and my classmates were from a pretty wide range of backgrounds. I can't imagine how exclusive the admission process was, unless many girls have hidden yichus that I'm not familiar with. My family wasn't chaim berlin, wasn't yichus, and wasn't rich. Just a regular black hat Flatbush family. It could be things are different today, but I truly can't think of a specific social culture. We had a bunch of varying "types" of groups of friends, though we all got along and there wasn't any cliquishness. It was a great experience back in my days and I would definitely send my own kids if I lived in Brooklyn.

Masores, yeshivish? When did that happen? Also not in my days. Many non black hat families.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:05 am
I don’t think you’ll be able to apply or get accepted into any of the schools mentioned above so late in the year. Not sure about Prospect).

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
Really? I went to bya and my classmates were from a pretty wide range of backgrounds. I can't imagine how exclusive the admission process was, unless many girls have hidden yichus that I'm not familiar with. My family wasn't chaim berlin, wasn't yichus, and wasn't rich. Just a regular black hat Flatbush family. It could be things are different today, but I truly can't think of a specific social culture. We had a bunch of varying "types" of groups of friends, though we all got along and there wasn't any cliquishness. It was a great experience back in my days and I would definitely send my own kids if I lived in Brooklyn.

Masores, yeshivish? When did that happen? Also not in my days. Many non black hat families.

I entered high school in the latter 2000s.
Are we in the same generation?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:51 am
What was the reason you didn't apply on time? These days schools already mostly sent out their acceptance letters. Won't be easy to get in.
Lev, BYA, bnos yakov - very hard to get into.

You need relaxed academically?

Does her elementary school have a HS?

Do talk to the principal ASAP.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:52 am
mom39 wrote:
Bnos Yaakov is a school that does does not pressure academically. They are by Foster Ave and Ocean Pkwy. Im sure there are kids from Marine Pk that go there

Isn't it supposed to be an academic school?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:13 pm
All of the schools mentioned here are in my opinion hard to get into, without money, connections, and being the "right type". I tried for my 4th grader BYBP, and Prospect, and that didn't go anywhere.

I'm curious what the outcome is bc I'm finding the school system in Brooklyn is becoming absurd.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
All of the schools mentioned here are in my opinion hard to get into, without money, connections, and being the "right type". I tried for my 4th grader BYBP, and Prospect, and that didn't go anywhere.

I'm curious what the outcome is bc I'm finding the school system in Brooklyn is becoming absurd.

When did you try? Brooklyn Schools have been shrinking over the past few years. Did those Schools give a reason why they didn't accept. Those two Schools are probably the most accepting...

syrima

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:29 pm
schools sent out first acceptances but now it's round two....talk to your LOR and have him advocate for you with the school principals. he will know how to talk to them and get you an interview even late in the game.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics