Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Baby Swimming Survival Video

Yael

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 2:09 pm
This is amazing. you have to watch it.

www.infantswim.com

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 2:49 pm
Oh wow!
I imagine that baby was trained, cause I would say that the natural survival instinct would be to thrash about, not lie so still.
I know its a mitzva for a father to teach a child to swim but does it start as an infant?
Amazing!

(just btw, is there a reason why this is in the "Tehillim needed" section? Looks like the baby is OK! Are you not 'familiar' in your own 'home' Yael? Wink )

MahPitom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 2:50 pm
I'm getting the shivers.

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 2:59 pm
More about the video.

cindy324

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:31 pm
shock WOW!!!!

I have to admit though I got the chills, too. It was too real.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 6:07 pm
I'm sorryk,but I was terrified.I think I'm gonna hve nightmares. This video HAD to have been staged. Babies DROWN in pools! The poor baby laying on his back crying just tore me to shreds. I always have nightmares of drownings. My son gets hysterical when I lay him down int he tub to rinse his hair (though he loves the swimming pool), so I cant imagine how babies just have the floating instinct. whatever; this is going to haunt me for a long time.

florida1

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 6:47 pm
there is something called survival swim. the babies are trained to do this IF they fall in the water.
yes this video was staged but babies can be taught this

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 7:05 pm
Click on my link to see how and why it was staged.

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 7:06 pm
I'd add that my kids were just getting home from school when I clicked on the link and they were really upset by it. One of my dd's was yelling "PICK UP THE BABY!" and was really upset the baby was in the water crying.

Yael

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 7:15 pm
sorry for not explaining. I thought it was obvious, but I forgot that I had seen it from other videos befoe this one. that the baby was taught how to float before this. the point is that any baby can be taught to float and thus save their life if they do happen to fall in a pool.
I never thought it was possible and laughed when I heard of teaching a newborn to swim. but when I saw it today I just thought uit was so amazing that I had to share it. I think if its possible of course all babies should be taught to float, it could save their life!!!
I'm sorry it bothered you mamabear. its not a floating instinct. they are taught this, but any baby can learn it.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 7:51 pm
Babies live in the water before they are born. It is natural for them to take to water. The sooner after birth the better.
The video doesn't work. I'll see if they have it on their site.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 8:02 pm
Why don't these people have safety gates around their pools? The best way to keep a child from drowning is to keep him from falling into the pool in the first place.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:00 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Why don't these people have safety gates around their pools? The best way to keep a child from drowning is to keep him from falling into the pool in the first place.

Of course, but if they can be better protected from drowning, why not give them the skills??? It may be in their neighbors pool, at camp, at a hotel etc etc...

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:23 pm
I guess it was jsut very unsettling to me to watch a one year old floating on his back in a pool crying for his dada and he was just left there to 'prove a point' and make a promotional video. that part was upsetting to me.

Yes, I'm all for teaching infants swimming!

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:29 pm
It wasn't filmed as a "promo"
Quote:
The video was scripted and shot to be part of the Pediatric Grand Rounds presentations Dr. Barnett uses at major children's hospitals throughout the United States to educate the health care professionals as part of their continuing medical education. In its unedited form, it can be viewed in the Pediatric Grand Rounds presentation from the University of Arizona Tucson Medical Center's webcast of that event. Please realize that this is a presentation for medical doctors, nurses and others who deal with the aftermath of medical emergencies such as drowning and near-drowning, so there are graphic portions that are not suitable viewing for anyone of a sensitive nature. Since the number one question that physicians attending Grand Rounds ask is, "how long can a skilled baby maintain himself independently in the water?", we answered the question in the video with a 5 minute float. In the segment they see, they can view all 5 minutes of the sustained back float. 5 minutes is of special significance for the physicians since they know that the chances of fully recovering a child who has been without air for that long is very remote.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links