Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What food to buy
1  2  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:22 pm
First time pesach-maker here! I'm totally clueless.
I live super out of town where kosher groceries are extremely limited.
I am going to NY for a few days, and I need to know what groceries to buy for pesach. Cooking for me and my hubby, all meals from beginning to end.
Bring it on! Send those lists

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:28 pm
Do you eat gebrokts? Or ready sauces?
I wonder if the stores have the pesach stuff out.
The basics are:
Potato starch
Eggs
sugar
Salt
Spices
Oil
Cocoa
Nuts
Meat
Chicken
Fish
Fruits
Veggies
Potatoes
Water
Grape juice
Seltzer
Soda
Wine
Matzo
Milk
OJ
Butter
Cream cheese
Cheese
Yogurt
Snacks
Chocolate
Nosh

Gebrokts and sauces:
Matzo meal
Duck sauce
Ketchup
And lots other sauces in the store.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:33 pm
Here's a good pesach shopping list that should get you started.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36750

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:29 pm
Thanks!
Yeah I eat everything besides kitniyos.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:30 pm
I'm copying ra_mom's list and pasting it here, with my comments in red for your situation, OP.

ra_mom wrote:
Here's my basic pesach shopping list that you can use to pull out what your family actually needs. Copy and paste it on a Word document so it's easier to change around.

Meats: roast, chicken, bones (for mains, chicken soup, cholent, zroah) Buy all meats in NY. Meat is usually KLP year round, except processed stuff like hot dogs and hamburgers

Matza: whole, shvarim, matza meal Costco often has shmura marza if there's one near you. Regular groceries often carry machine matza and matza products.
They often are already stocked for Pesach, so you can see what they have. Be sure to check -- in very OOT places, the boxes of matza often are not Pesachdik.

Wine: grape juice and wine You can order kosher wines online, too.

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses) Plan your menus, see what from these items you will need. Read the pesach hechsher lists, too. Brown sugar is often available at regular groceries with Pesach hechsher. Regular sugar, many hold doesn't need Pesach hechsher, also cocoa powder, whole raw nuts, some say also plain crushed or ground nuts. The rest of this list is worth getting in NY, if you're making stuff that needs it.

Groceries: salt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, baking oil, ketchup, mayo, sauce, coffee, pickles, quinoa Get the spices in NY. Non iodized salt is available everywhere and is KLP. Ditto coffee. Oils and ketchup are worth getting. I make my own mayo, it's easy and yummy. The rest, do get.

Snacks: gum, chips, cake/cookies/crackers, chocolate

Dairy: milk, cheese snack, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese/butter Again, check what local stores carry, buy and freeze the rest (I don't freeze yogurt or cottage cheese, though) in NY.

Refrigerator: eggs, dips, orange juice Eggs and OJ you can get locally, if you want to buy dips, you can, I make my own.

Freezer: frozen veggies, frozen garlic cubes I use fresh garlic, but sometimes buy a bag of broccoli.

Fish: gefilte, salmon Gefilte is good to buy on your trip. If you have access to Costco, they carry salmon - the frozen Kirkland is acceptable for Pesach according to the OU, and they carry pesachdik smoked salmon, though some years it doesn't come in until halfway through Pesach.

Produce: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, salad veggies, marror lettuce, dill for soup, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits, avocadoes, parsnips, beets, kohlrabi, marror horseradish (for grinding) Buy all this locally.

Beverages: water, apple juice, seltzer, soda, apple juice box drinks, water bottles (trips) Costco and local groceries often sell pesachdik drinks at a good price. Check what's available near you.

Paper Goods: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, paper towels, tissues, aluminum pans, tablecloths, pre-cut foil, parchment paper, long candles, candle holders, wicks, 2-3 day yartzeit candles, bedikas chometz supplies, toothpics, dish soap, sponges, steel wool, sink strainers, refrigerator liners, counter-shelf-table liners, tape Consider getting color coded stuff for washing dishes. Most of the rest, you can buy locally, but if you find any good sales in NY, go for it.

Baby & Pharmacy: diapers, baby wipes, bottles/pacifiers, toothbrushes, toothpaste Toothpaste is the only question. Read the lists, pick your brand, decide whether to buy in NY, or go with the approved Tom's of Maine ones that are available locally.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:36 pm
imasinger wrote:
I'm copying ra_mom's list and pasting it here, with my comments in red for your situation, OP.

This is AMAZING. You are a total lifesaver! I never would have thought of spices. Thank you so much

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:46 pm
Imasinger, are you sure meat is KLP all year round ? My FIL works in shechita more with poultry than with meat but he works in both and I know that they do a special Pesach run. I have been wondering when I could start first shopping for KLP to start stocking up.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:58 pm
Also, remember that some things with heimishe hechsher are kosher for Pesach all year round-read the label and that it's only a week! If you plan to bake, make easy with the fewest ingredients. I plan my shopping around my menu so make a basic menu first.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:18 pm
Make yourself a complete menu for the chag. - with recipes. Then add some snacks. That's how we shop.

Oh and stay away from: Pesach mustard and cottonseed oil. Both yuck :-)

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Imasinger, are you sure meat is KLP all year round ? My FIL works in shechita more with poultry than with meat but he works in both and I know that they do a special Pesach run. I have been wondering when I could start first shopping for KLP to start stocking up.

AYLOR.

Mine holds that all kosher raw meat is inherently fine. OU holds that it's still a good idea to rinse in cold water, just in case, but otherwise isn't an issue.

Many meats are marked as with a Pesach hechsher all year.

I bought my meat for Pesach on sale a while ago.

I'll be curious to hear what your rav holds, if you want to PM me with the response.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:50 pm
Great list imasinger! That's just my list of what to remember to buy like new tube toothpaste, new ReaLemon lemon juice, new sugar, bottles of water, coffee, papergoods, candles... but we don't actually buy these products KLP. I follow the OUs pesach guide for what needs special certification.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
First time pesach-maker here! I'm totally clueless.
I live super out of town where kosher groceries are extremely limited.
I am going to NY for a few days, and I need to know what groceries to buy for pesach. Cooking for me and my hubby, all meals from beginning to end.
Bring it on! Send those lists

Even before we became committed to whole, natural and unprocessed foids, we started eating them on Passover. We but lots of meat, fish, veg, and before we went low carb made all our own desserts too.

Eat real food. Your budget will be happier and so will your body!

ila

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:24 pm
Dont buy soy sauce bought once and was terrible

Aetrsnrady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:50 pm
Even in super out of town places, major supermarkets have a pesach section. They are already up in many stores. Go check out your local major supermarket and see what they have. No need to schlep that from NY. I believe I saw KLP on Domino sugar already. That’s good for granulated, and brown sugar, but their confectioner’s sugar is not KLP- that you will need to buy a Jewish brand.
Clear some space and start buying nonperishables, paper goods, lots of aluminum foil Smile, foil pans, ziploc bags etc-

dee's mommy

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 2:16 am
I personally keep it very simple, and buy very few specialty processed products.

I recommend purchasing a lot of fruit and vegetables (this is essential), the meat products you will eat that week, dairy products, eggs, fish, and nuts.

Other than that, other than the matzo, wine/ grape juice, I just stick with what is absolutely needed for the eight days, and purchase a minimum of things that I know I will cook with. Make a menu or meal plan ahead of time, and go from there. It is not necessary to purchase every product out there. I even keep spices to a bare minimum, because I don't want to have the extra that is left over in addition to what I have for the rest of the year. (I only buy salt, cinnamon, and reuse the pepper, and turmeric (which I use for chicken soup), that I put away every year.

Remember, it is only eight days.

(Oh, and steer clear of the cottonseed oil, which can sometimes be labeled as vegetable oil. Trust me on this one.)

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 3:43 am
Soy sauce is kitnyious. Made from soybeans. Some hold of cottonseed oil as kitniyos as well but interestingly that all klp potato chips with heimishe hechsher is made with cottonseed oil.

grace413

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 3:50 am
dankbar wrote:
Soy sauce is kitnyious. Made from soybeans. Some hold of cottonseed oil as kitniyos as well but interestingly that all klp potato chips with heimishe hechsher is made with cottonseed oil.

True but I have a feeling she meant the fake KLP soy sauce. There is also fake KLP mustard.

Trying to go with less processed ingredients just because it's cheaper and healhier.

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 3:55 am
This year you need a yaknehuz candle.

You need to know your minhagim what you do use & what not on pesach. Everyone has different mesora. Besides for gebrokts/kitniyos people refrain from using diff stuff.
Some only use vegetables that can be peeled. Some don't use veg with seeds
Some don't use organ meat
Some don't use beef.
Some dont use fish.
Some no processed food & make everything from scratch including mayo, chrein, juices.
Some use no oil only chicken fats
Some no potato starch even & they even make on own.
Some grind their own nuts/meat.
Some even make their own homemade grape juice.
Some eat only hand matzos, some machine
Some eat gebrokts & matzo ball is the main part of the show
By sefardim there is lots of rice eaten on pesach.
By Ashkenazi lots of potatoes & eggs are eaten

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 4:01 am
You need to make menu first to see what ingredients you need. Today you can get everything in klp already. ( depends what you use) Including vinegar, pizza, donuts, cereal, pasta, croutons,

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:58 am
Thanks for all your help! I bought out the entire pomegranate Smile
Now I need a list of utensils. This is what my list looks like so far:
Knives
Mixing spoons
Blender
Tongs
Measuring cups and spoons
Mixing bowls
Grater
Strainer
Cutlery
Glasses
Milchig pot and pan
Potato masher
Can opener
Peeler
Serving plates/bowls

I already have a set of pots for fleishig, and a set of dinnerware. I am not planning on buying dinnerware for milchig (gonna stick with plastic).

What else am I missing?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics