Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Money pulls!

queen

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 6:51 pm
I'm in such a quandary!!!!!!!
I run my own business from home.

Got a call today from a company that might want me to do a job for them by the end of October. I'm due the beginning of October, meaning I'd have to have the job completed by the end of September.... which might even be pushing it, in case I'm early.

I quoted them a price which is VERRRRRRY high. (I mean VERY high.) Some people work a whole year to make this amount.

My husband doesn't think I should take the job as I already have other jobs 'in-house' that need to be completed before birth PLUS he's all worried in case I'm early, and then what will happen then??? He thinks it will be too much for me.

I know myself and that I can push myself to get it out (plus the other jobs) although I will be harried for the next 5/6 weeks and EXTREMELY busy. I'll also have to get take out once or twice a week to help with suppers.

Even though my husband works and we manage on his income, that amount of money is no sneezing factor. Especially as we JUST bought a house and about to have our first baby...

I have a headache from this all.
if my husband doesn't think it's a good idea, for sholom bayis alone it would not be smart to take it on..... but money pulls soooo strongly?!?!?!?

stem

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 6:57 pm
Mazal Tov on the new house!

Maybe you can hire an assistant to come help you with your job. A seminary girl looking for some extra cash? Sounds like you could pay her and still make a nice profit.

Tefila

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 6:58 pm
Queen I know I might be a fine one to talk but since you asked heres my 2 cents.
. U'r sholom bayis is more important then this job. ANd it looks like u r being tested Exclamation sure someone will tell u neh why not talk to him or compromise etc etc and that would seem to make it all kosher right? I feel 4 u b/c how many of us wish we could make the extra dollar to cut it nevermind the luxury. But the fact u'r husband has expressed conc and doesn't want u to do it. What

Last edited by Tefila on Thu, Aug 18 2005, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

hisorerus

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 7:12 pm
Can you find some other person as a backup subcontractor in case you need it?

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 7:42 pm
queen wrote:
My husband doesn't think I should take the job as I already have other jobs 'in-house' that need to be completed before birth PLUS he's all worried in case I'm early, and then what will happen then??? He thinks it will be too much for me.

he gives two reasons:

1) you have other jobs
2) he worries you might be early and it will be too much for you

as far as the first reason - forget about the birth and the large amt of money for a moment - can you finish the job plus the other jobs you need to do, in that amount of time - yes or no?

if you can't, there's nothing to talk about

if you think you can do all the jobs and do them all well, and you will ALSO take care of your health, eat and sleep properly and take time out to relax, then ----

as far as the second reason - he is concerned about you and that's the way it should be!

But if you think you can handle it, I say - buy take-out and GO FOR IT! You can concentrate on this, finish it, then iy'H have the baby and relax about jobs for a while and concentrate on yourself, baby, and husband.

as far as shalom babyis - again, if you think you are truly capable of handling the work, then I think you can discuss this with your husband and reassure him of your capabilities and what steps you will take to take care of yourself

and yes, you need to think of a contingency plan if baby is early - something to think about and write into contract

IBR

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 9:20 pm
its a tough descision but money can be made I\h health can't and right now the last thing you need is too much stress cause that at least I heard can bring on labor. ( not trying to scare you just food for thought). try to look it as an outsider what would you say if your friend was in that situation?

queen

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 11:17 am
I really appreciate all your input. Each one of your posts were extremely helpful and hit on very good points.
Firstly, I feel a lot calmer today as I discussed it with my dh last night.

I've submitted a tentative schedule, including a back-up plan (later completion date), in case I go into labor early.

Regarding an assistant, I already have one, and were I to land the job, would have her take care of all current 'in-house' work.

If I get the job, this would be a great challenge and I'd enjoy working through it.
If I don't- I'll just have more time to nest peacefully, and finish current work without a rush.

I suppose this coming week will be very telling. thanks again and gut shabbos!

Queen

micki

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 1:35 pm
may I ask what you work as?

Rivka

Post Sat, Aug 20 2005, 3:11 pm
I have to agree on motek here and it's good to hear you have "secretary".
If you can do it, go for it, but if it is too much then your health will suffer.
I know what I am like when I have to work too many hours, I get myself ill and as you are pregnant, it's not a good time to try that out.

stem

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 2:52 pm
queen, what did you decide in the end?

queen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:47 am
I've decided to pass!!!!!!
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

The funny part is that I'm so at peace with that decision, and don't regret it one bit.
Firstly, JUST from speaking to client on phone I picked up that he'd be driving me nuts over the next few weeks, PLUS it ends up being I have a lot more in-house work that I thought I did.

But most of all, it's a good feeling to have a supportive husband who was more interested in me personally and my health than the opportunity of bringing in a lot of money.

Queen Queen Queen

JEWISHMAMA

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:55 am
Remember that G-D decides how much money you get a year so you never know. You might get it at a later date!
Health and happiness first, money later.

Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 6:17 am
good for you, queen, reaching a decision you are at peace with!

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:44 am
'shkoyach, queen!

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 11:17 am
queen wrote:
The funny part is that I'm so at peace with that decision, and don't regret it one bit.

Queen Queen Queen

This is the main point. YOU have to be at peace with the decision, not to look back and think, what if...

Rivk

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 11:59 am
Good for you, queen!

queen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:45 pm
Thanks everyone for the thumbs up!!!!! It feels so good being able to relax knowing the next month wont be high pressure!
Queen
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics