Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
"The Salad" with Fruit
Previous  1  2  3  Next

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 7:42 am
How about if you shake it all together in a jar CM?

I have a very similar dressing for a crunchy cabbage salad and use the same dressing but with the addition of soya sauce and I put all the ingredients in a jar and shake. There are definitely no lumps in the dressing. I just keep it in this same jar until I'm ready to serve the salad.

However, if you always make it that way then carry on doing it. I think people only wanted to know if there was a significant difference if you melted the sugar first which apparently there isn't.

mommy24

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:09 am
I also used to boil the sugar, but it is a complete waste of time, all you need to do is mix it together really well, either by wisking it or shaking it in jar. I never had nay issues of clumps , and I think it tasted better without cooking it.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:48 am
Are there any good salads that don't use nuts???? Dh is VERY allergic to all nuts and seeds and I miss them and what they bring to my salads Sad

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:30 am
Mimi, can you just add them to yours ?

mommy24

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:42 am
Mimisinger, is it the crunch you miss? what about adding chinese noodles, or croutons, my husband picjed some sort of crunchy felafel snack last week that we threw in the salad, its great when you want that extra crunch.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 3:30 pm
Mimisinger, how about taco salad? No nuts, but still an interesting salad that's always a hit. Or my latest favorite, terra chip salad, doesn't need nuts. Another great one is the one with avocado, grape/cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm & red onion.

There's also this salad in KBD Entertains for a great salad that has craisins, mango etc. and a honey mustard dressing. It's delicious, and doesn't call for nuts. Let me know if you want the recipe.

(Can you tell I love salads? LOL )

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 4:01 pm
Jewish Mother wrote:
How about if you shake it all together in a jar CM?

I guess, but what if you serv it in something that you can't shake it in?

lamplighter

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 4:54 pm
I think she's referring to shaking teh dressing up in a jar and then pouring it over the salad

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 5:06 pm
ah .......

gotcha .........

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 5:23 pm
Yeah, I guess I miss the crunch. I've made taco salad up the wazoo...I'd love to try the tera salad and if you have any other ideas for the ones with the other crunchy things, please let me know...

And no cm, I can't just put nuts in mine, we have a nut free house. If dh even gets a half of a nut by accident we're in the hospital, I'd rather not risk it. If I even touched nuts and touch him, his face or hand or whatever swells up and is red.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 9:34 pm
Peanuts are legumes not nuts, are they okay? What about cashews or almonds as compared to walnuts ?

JewishMother18

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:29 pm
Nuts are nuts CM for someone with a nut allergy and actually peanuts are some of the worst offenders.

How about a cabbage salad - definitely got the crunch in that.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:11 am
All types of nuts, legumes or not are a problem. His particular allergy includes many seeds as well.

Jewish Mother, unfortunately, many people don't understand allergies, I certainly didn't until I met dh - CM, this is not negative towards you at all. When I went to a bakery, I specifically ordered a cake in advance without nuts or coconut (dh is also allergic to coconut). I got to the bakery and it had slivered almonds all over it. I told them that I couldn't take the cake and they said, "ok, one minute." They were going to take the cake in the back, scrape off the almonds and put more icing on it. I said, you can't do that, you might leave a little piece and that means I take dh to the hosp. The &*(^&% woman at this fancy bakery told me, that "when they say they're allergic to nuts, they mean peanuts and not almonds." Well, I told the woman, no, my dh is allergic to all nuts, legumes and other nuts as well and if he has one bite of nut, I'm in the hosp. with him in the best case scenario. I won't tell you the worst case scenario. chas v'shalom....

People just don't know.

JewishMother18

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:27 am
Allergies are not something a lot of people really know a lot about. Like the lady in the shop, they think as long as there isn't a visible piece of nut then it's OK.

I have a cousin who has a severe nut allergy and ended up in hospital many many times and I also have a very good friend whose husband is a celiac - that's a really difficult one. He was very seriously ill for a long time but B"H he's well now and she's learnt entirely how to prepare for him but going to simchas and on holiday can be a real nightmare.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:41 am
What's a celiac?

JewishMother18

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:20 am
completely gluten intolerant

mommy24

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 7:51 am
are chickpeas ok? you can take a can of chickpea and put ina 9 x 13 pan, add a little olive oil, somee spices like salt , pepper maybe garlic powder and bake it for about 30-45 minutes, mix them once or twice. they come out nice and crunchy and you can add them to even a regular salad.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 8:09 am
sounds interesting mommy.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 9:13 am
Mimisinger wrote:
They were going to take the cake in the back, scrape off the almonds and put more icing on it.

I always use the analogy of kashrut. If the cake had had sliced ham on top, you can't just take off the ham and put on new icing. The cake is still tref.

Even if they removed every last little speck of almonds, oils or whatever from the almonds may have permeated the icing and be enough to trigger a reaction.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:43 am
I know a lot about allergies! But they vary from person to person.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics