Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
PYO farms near Monsey besides Demerest?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:58 am
I want to take the grandchildren fruit and veggie picking but am looking for a farm similar to Demerest Farm but with bathrooms.
Demerest Farm has other activities such as animals, playground and picnic tables but the bathroom is one porta potty for the whole crowd and it was full of you-know-what when we were there and I complained to the staff there but couldn't stay because the children needed the bathroom and it would be a cold day in you-know-where before I would let them use that toilet. This was also after I bought their high priced fruit for the kids snack.
Any suggestions?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:00 am
We use port a poties but we love Ochs Orchard. About an hour from Monsey. Less frills, but the picking is great. And they have real bathrooms near the farm store

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:18 am
Was also going to suggest och's.
About 45 minute drive. Beautiful views. Well maintained orchard.
I think they have a small petting zoo, but I am not sure.

We like to go Autumn season, the produce tends to be ripe and plentiful then.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:23 am
pesek zman wrote:
We use port a poties but we love Ochs Orchard. About an hour from Monsey. Less frills, but the picking is great. And they have real bathrooms near the farm store

Thanks! I don't mind porta potties if they are cleaned and maintained but this was a shameful situation and people were complaining about access to bathrooms for the elderly and handicapped.

happyone

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:30 am
following. kelder or Lawrence an options?

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:00 am
There's Alstedes.
Stunning place!

Lawrence is excellent if the kids are quite young. The pyo is moderate, but there are other nice activities, geared for little kids.

Kelders is a great place, but far. I think it's about 90 minutes from here

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:38 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
There's Alstedes.
Stunning place!

Lawrence is excellent if the kids are quite young. The pyo is moderate, but there are other nice activities, geared for little kids.

I think Alstede is a total scam. You’ll end up paying $100 before you even pick and buy any fruit. They nickel and dime you big time there

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:39 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
There's Alstedes.
Stunning place!

I think Alstede is a total scam. You’ll end up paying $100 before you even pick and buy any fruit. They nickel and dime you big time there

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:39 am
I like Lawrence the best. It's just under an hour away. They have so much variety to pick and also a cute little village my kid play in. They have bathrooms and a couple animals as well. It's a really really great trip for both adults and children.

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 12:06 pm
pesek zman wrote:

It can end up being more expensive than other places.

As I remember it, though you'd have to look it up on their website, admission is free until 11:00.
It is a huuuge place, with wagons circling the trails to transport visitors from one area to the next- this added an element of fun for the kids.

Also, there's a pretty flower garden, and we loved picking out a bouquet.

So we felt we got our money's worth.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:53 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I like Lawrence the best. It's just under an hour away. They have so much variety to pick and also a cute little village my kid play in. They have bathrooms and a couple animals as well. It's a really really great trip for both adults and children.

I took a little grandchild there last summer but these kids are probably too big. We are at Museum village in Monroe right now and a chicken is eyeing our lunch. He is seriously jealous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics