Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
A couple questions on feeding solids

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 2:48 pm
1) How much solid food does your 6 1/2 - 7 month old eat? (my baby is almost 7 months)

2) Other than the baby jars, can I mash up a banana or some boiled sweet potato & feed it to her, or do I have to blend it?

(Are you all getting used to my clueless first time mommy questions by now? embarrassed)

baba

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 3:15 pm
It depends on the baby, but most dont eat that much, they're still just getting used to it. Also, remember that they don't actually need the food yet, they're getting by fine on milk. When it comes to texturs, again it depends on the baby. Some will take something that isnt sifted or blended without a problem, from a young age, and others will refuse it even when they're much older. Just try and see. With the banana you can just try and mash it with a fork and see if she takes it. Be careful with the sweet potato though, they often have long strands which could cause choking.

mommalah

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 3:20 pm
There is more nutrition in an actual mashed up banana or mashed "real" sweet potato than there will ever be in a jar. So, yes, of course you can and should. Just make sure it is smooth enough and maybe add some liquid to make it less thick and sticky...

As an aside, it's amazing to me how these baby companies have people thinking that only THEY know the real deal regarding consistencies of baby food and when they can be given. Stage 1, stage 2 - cuz their going to guide us in how to best feed our children by putting all sorts of fillers and watering down real fruits and vegetables. They obviously have an excellent marketing and advertising team.

Sorry for the rant....

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 3:54 pm
baba wrote:
It depends on the baby, but most dont eat that much, they're still just getting used to it. Also, remember that they don't actually need the food yet, they're getting by fine on milk. When it comes to texturs, again it depends on the baby. Some will take something that isnt sifted or blended without a problem, from a young age, and others will refuse it even when they're much older. Just try and see. With the banana you can just try and mash it with a fork and see if she takes it. Be careful with the sweet potato though, they often have long strands which could cause choking.

I was cooking sweet potatoes anyways yesterday, so I mashed up a bit to feed her, & I noticed the strands so I was a little nervous about giving it to her. I decided to just go for it in the end & she ate it up nicely, but in the future should I refrain from giving her sweet potatoes?

Thanks for your help!

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 9:15 pm
my dr told me with my first that the best is veggies from the chicken soup cus it gets the benefits of chicken too.
my 10 month old now refuses to eat the stuff from jars or anything mushy. she never liked it. she only likes finger foods like cherios or cut up chicken. so basically I stick to things taht I can give in pieces.

baba

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 9:53 am
If she ate it that's great! I would just watch out with them. When I saw long/thick ones I would just take it out. If you're really nervous you can always sift it. But you for sure don't have to refrain, sweet potatoe is a great first food!

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 10:19 am
You can also try butternut squash...won't have those strands. Also you can feed your baby fresh apples. Just scrape off with a spoon and feed.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 10:38 am
I wouldn't recommend the boiled veggies from the soup without including the liquid from the soup since boiling leeches out the vitamins.

I baked sweet potatoes and apples and NS LOVES them... but has a gagging problem.

I bought him one of those mesh feeder/teether things and he loves gnawing/sucking banana out of it and has no gagging issues.

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 10:41 am
Kmelion wrote:

I bought him one of those mesh feeder/teether things and he loves gnawing/sucking banana out of it and has no gagging issues.

Those are great....but messy!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics