Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shul Clothes (s/o comfortable)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:08 am
The question — conform to the apparent norms of the minyan, or my usual style.

I dress pretty typically for Shabbat, afaik. A lace pencil skirt with a blouse. A sheath dress, or other dress that’s just a touch too dressy for work. Or, occasionally, a professional work appropriate dress. Not too dressy, just a bit “more” than everyday.

A friend invited me to her shul, which I enjoyed, and would like to go back to. But the women there decidedly dress down. The look ranged from something that I would have sworn was a house dress to a plain cotton skirt and striped blouse. I would feel funny in shul like that, but I also don’t want to dress inappropriately for that shul.

What would you wear? So far, I’ve opted towards the more casual end of my usual Shabbat style, but it’s still way more dressy than others wear.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:16 am
everyone should wear what works for them

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:19 am
I wear what makes me feel connected to Shabbos. Some people dress more casually and some dress even dressier than I do. I don’t think you have to dress according to the crowd at shul. You should dress in way that makes you yourself feel like you are dressed Lekovod Shabbos. That’s my personal opinion.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The question — conform to the apparent norms of the minyan, or my usual style.

I dress pretty typically for Shabbat, afaik. A lace pencil skirt with a blouse. A sheath dress, or other dress that’s just a touch too dressy for work. Or, occasionally, a professional work appropriate dress. Not too dressy, just a bit “more” than everyday.

A friend invited me to her shul, which I enjoyed, and would like to go back to. But the women there decidedly dress down. The look ranged from something that I would have sworn was a house dress to a plain cotton skirt and striped blouse. I would feel funny in shul like that, but I also don’t want to dress inappropriately for that shul.

What would you wear? So far, I’ve opted towards the more casual end of my usual Shabbat style, but it’s still way more dressy than others wear.

Don't dress down below what you wear for Shabbos normally. It's obvious that these people aren't superficial, right? So hopefully they aren't so militantly anti-superficial that they would look down on you for not wearing their uniform. Especially since you've already enjoyed the shul which means that you haven't picked up such vibes. On the off chance you do, focus on the many wonderful points of this kehilla, including having such a lovely shul.

Enjoy!

pesek zman

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:20 am
I love living in a community where I can wear my shabbos dresses from target and not only does no one blink an eye but I get compliments !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics