Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatballs

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 7:04 pm
considering that I view myself as a fairly good cook (if I may say so myself), it is so annoying that I can never get my meatballs figured out. they never come out as good as they're supposed to taste. do any of you have a recipe (with amounts, maybe?)?

like, it's s'posed to be the most simple food possible to cook. that's why I have yet to find a cookbook with a recipe.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 7:27 pm
are you baking or boiling? I find baking to be more consistent.

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 7:28 pm
cooking. y'know, in tomato sauce.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 7:53 pm
well, that way I would burn the food. I only bake.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 8:57 pm
I boil a chopped onion, 1 can tomato sauce, and 1 cup water in large flat pan/pot.

I mix 1 pack meat with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1 egg, 2 Tbl soysauce and dash garlic powder. (amounts are flexible...play with it.. dont add salt or it will be very salty!)
when slightly firm, I drop balls into bubbling tom. sauce. I let it cook on a very low flame for 45 minutes to an hour. make sure there is enough water!!!! then it wont burn. or just keep checking every 10 minutes and stir it around a little.
I do this all the time. its delicious and freezes well.

lucy

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:03 pm
Same li msycms. I find when I add a little water to the meat mixture the meat balls become soft. I don't always put egg but water is a must. Also I like to play around with different spices, organo, basil even steak spice if you like it spicy is nice.

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:10 pm
Sometimes I will chop an onion finely, saute and add to the ground meat.

Always put breadcrumbs (sometimes corn flake crumbs-makes it sweeter), water, eggs, asst seasonings.

Depending on what I plan to serve with:
cumin
oregano
garlic & onion powder
curry powder
mrs dash
brown sugar
pepper

I put it in a pot of boiling, well seasoned tomato sauce and simmer for 30-40 minutes.

I have tried baking them, but they come out too dry for my taste.

msycms - I will try soy sauce, it sounds good.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:29 am
I add egg, flavored bread crumbs to the meat & boil them in a couple of jars of store bought marinara sauce. They taste great.

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:33 am
thanks for the responses. will try next time.

because I was stupid enough to try making meatballs yesterday before I asked for the advice, I now have a whole container of leftover yucky meatballs that noone wanted. any ideas on how to use them/rejuvenate/reincarnate/reappetate - okay, that's not really a word, but you get the picture..... any advice?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:37 am
chocolate moose wrote:
are you baking or boiling? I find baking to be more consistent.

I also bake them. Whenever a recipe calls for making the sauce in a pot and then dropping the meatballs in, I bake the meatballs, make the sauce separately, and then pour it over the cooked meatballs.

I do this because:
1. there's no chance of them sticking to each other or falling apart in the pot.

2. less fat.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

israel22

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:37 am
in the purple cookbook spice and spirit they have a very easy and yummy one that doesen't fail me

shoy18

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:39 am
I add an egg, some bread crumbs, spices, a dash of teryaki sauce, sometimes brown sugar, whatever I feel like putting in.

Then I suatte onions and brown meat balls until brown on all sides, then I mix tomato sauce and paste with some sugar (or spelenda) oregeno, garlic powder, onion powder, and chives. I pour the sauce over the meatballs and add some water, then cook

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:41 am
I always make this recipe from Kosher by Design Kids cookbook with marinara sauce & whole berry cranberry sauce. It always comes out great, it freezes well, & lately I've started making the meatballs out of ground chicken for a healthier twist. If you want the exact recipe, let me know.

Hmm... as far as rejuvenating last night's meatballs What ...hope you figure something out... it's always so frustrating when something doesn't turn out right.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:49 am
Quote:
any ideas on how to use them/rejuvenate/reincarnate/reappetate - okay, that's not really a word, but you get the picture..... any advice?

Shepperd's pie? (sp?)

Cube meatballs and cooked (tender) potatoes. Roll out puff pastry dough, fill with meat/pot and fold to form a pouch. Egg and bake till golden? Delicious with ketchup (or I like mine with HP sauce- from England)

Mash the meatballs with the sauce (add more if necessary) and serve over spaghetti? What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics