Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Imamother Tzeddakah Party
1  2  Next

Which day would work best for you?
Motzei Shabbos  
 41%  [ 5 ]
Sunday during the day  
 16%  [ 2 ]
Sunday Night  
 8%  [ 1 ]
Any Week-night  
 25%  [ 3 ]
Other - please describe  
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 9:30 am
so, some amother posted in another thread an idea about having a tzeddakah party (instead of wasting money on fressing) and I thought it was a really good idea and I'd like to organize one in Flatbush or Boro Park.

If you could all vote on a day that would work best for you...and give suggestions as to which organization we could donate to, and other ideas you may have.

I'd like it to be well thought out so we can actually make a significant contribution, rather that rushing it and having a poor turnout.

PS - the poll options are for those days in general, not specifically this week (e.g. not davka this motzei shabbos, but in general is motzei shabbos better for you)

also, please actually vote in the poll in addition to stating your opinion so I can get a quick tally without reading thru all the posts.

Last edited by Twizzlers on Wed, Jan 02 2008, 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 9:35 am
I say the long motzei shabbos or any other night works fine.

Salut for doing this. do you specifically want procedes to go to organization? or might it go to a private family? cuz I do know of a family in dire need who can most certainly benefit.

keep us posted. and if you need any help that I can provide, lemme know.

momluv

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 9:36 am
well motzei shabbos my dh is home to babysit whereas sunday he works and may choose to work in monsey that day and that wouldn't work. he'd be home late.
as to which organization to donate to, my opinion is that since this is imamother and so many women here don't have any children yet or are struggling to have more children, the donations should go to "a t.I.m.e" or bonei olam. hatzlacha!! great idea!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 9:38 am
From what I see with tzedaka events, people seem to be very set in their ways and give to the same every year... You should find the "classics" that everyone likes (generally it's magen adom, casip cojasor, food for children in Israel... according to what I see here). Unfortunately, it's not the classics that need money the most because they are popular. Difficult task to organize such a party, wow!

LibraMommy

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 9:45 am
I was going to suggest A.T.I.M.E. or Bonei Olam as Yentagolda already mentioned. My thoughts were also leaning towards an organization which provides help for new mothers who go home right away. Motzei Shabbos seems like an excellent night overall.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:15 am
What about those of us without sums of money to give? Do we stay home?

momluv

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:21 am
any $ is $. could even be a dollar from your maaser $.

red sea

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:32 am
I also think bonei olam since this is imamother would be nice.

CM- Any money you would spend to eat lunch at a meet can be used for this and the food will be provided so you still can eat.

Another one I like to donate to is the Masbiah soup kitchen in Boro Park.

Last edited by red sea on Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

rainbow

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:33 am
And what about the individual families who are in crisis...who's helping THEM? The organizations that aid families with infertility, cancer, etc. are doing wonderful work...yet who is addressing the needs of those who live in quiet desperation, a child who needs help, an electic shut-off looming, rent unpaid the past two three months, etc.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:36 am
or perhaps my toilet paper collection

anon

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:39 am
I would also suggest Bonei Olam, being that this is Imamother.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:43 am
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed How about helping an imamother who opened a yeshiva for boys with special needs and she and her husband are drowning in debt from this undertaking? Anybody hear of Yeshiva Bonim Lamokom? The first and only yeshiva for boys with Down syndrome and developmental delays.
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

momluv

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:45 am
downsyndrome wrote:
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed How about helping an Imamother who opened a yeshiva for boys with special needs and she and her husband are drowning in debt from this undertaking? Anybody hear of Yeshiva Bonim Lamokom? The first and only yeshiva for boys with Down syndrome and developmental delays.

that would be an ideal choice too. we'll have to make a poll for our choice later. first let's pick a day or night which it should take place.

GetReal

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:46 am
maybe after everyone gives their ideas for which tzedaka, someone can gather them all and make a poll to see which is the most popular.

Will this be a babies-invited event?

momluv

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:49 am
if it's at night would you wanna bring a baby? mine has or is at least starting to have a schedule. wouldn't wanna botch it up by bringing him unless it's necessary.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:59 am
I like downs idea and though I may not be there Sad I don't mind donating some of my masser to it.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 11:04 am
I'm with ya downs! Music let's help anotha imamotha

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 11:07 am
downsyndrome wrote:
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed How about helping an Imamother who opened a yeshiva for boys with special needs and she and her husband are drowning in debt from this undertaking? Anybody hear of Yeshiva Bonim Lamokom? The first and only yeshiva for boys with Down syndrome and developmental delays.

YES! YES! YES!!!

let's all help out downs here!! (and ok, I have a soft spot in my heart for ds kids-but who doesn't)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 11:10 am
yentagolda wrote:
as to which organization to donate to, my opinion is that since this is Imamother and so many women here don't have any children yet or are struggling to have more children, the donations should go to "a t.I.m.e" or bonei olam. hatzlacha!! great idea!!

I agree. I always found it heartwarming (is that the right word?) that A.T.I.M.E. puts a Tzedaka box in the waiting room of some of the OB offices in frum communities. After coming out of a B"H great appointment, it always triggered something in me to see that box. I would take a second and think of someone who isn't as lucky as I am, and drop some money in.

It just so happens to be, that I suffered a terrible loss, and A.T.I.M.E. was so helpful to me with medical info, support and all. I never considered myself to be someone who would benefit from their services, but in the end, the tables turned. Sad

I won't be able to join this Tzedaka party since I live out of town, but I think it would be a beautiful idea for the proceeds to help more women be able to say "I'm a mother!"

GetReal

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 11:11 am
yentagolda wrote:
if it's at night would you wanna bring a baby? mine has or is at least starting to have a schedule. wouldn't wanna botch it up by bringing him unless it's necessary.

I voted for Sunday during the day. if it's at night, DH can babysit. Although the past week, my baby has been going to sleep at 11 or 12 each night...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics