Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who here remembers the early days of Imamother?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:16 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
How does it work when people move to a Facebook group? All of a sudden people aren't concerned about sharing their real life names? Or they somehow have aliases on Facebook? That's hard, because Facebook does not make it easy to set up a second account. They often ask for ID.

One of my DDs is on a group like that and although some topics can get attacked or heated, people don't post anything personal that they would not be comfortable sharing with the world.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:41 am
some blasts from the past:

2004:
https://web.archive.org/web/20......com/

2006:
https://web.archive.org/web/20.....l.php

https://web.archive.org/web/20.....l.php

rowo

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:43 am
I’ve been here since 2007.
More of a reader than commenter.
We used to have threads for babies born in each month to discuss what our babies were up. I loved following that with my oldest. (Those kids are now 12 😱)

I’ve had time over the years when I’ve come here more frequently or less, but I’ve learned so much!
There is definitely a different feel on an anonymous forum than fb groups.

It’s amazing though, that every few weeks a thread still manages to come up that just blows my mind - like, what am I reading ?!?

abmom

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I've not been here very very long. I think I signed on late 2010? Or 2011?
Chat was kinda kewl.
Who remembers the day chat was malfunctioning? I had learned that day that I had a missed miscarriage. it was a hard night. And chatroom was having trouble. Anyone could sign on and put it whatever they wanted to be called..... so instead of putting in my username I put in a random name. And I kvetched about my situation.
I'll never forget how kind one poster was and she gave me so much chizzuk. She had no clue who it was. And I'll always be greatful for that kindness.
Thank you ABMOM!

And btw, there is also a Google chat that some of us who were very active on the Chatroom created.... it's down to mostly 5 active users....

Wow! I'm so glad I was able to help... I remember that night that we were able to choose random names. Was fun!! (I don't remember giving you chizzuk though.)
We were able to sub private chat in the chat room too.
I miss chat. We have the hangouts now, but it was nice meeting new ppl without having your post etched into the internet forever.
I've been on imamother about 8 years now. I was much more active back then. I took a break for a few years, and now I mostly just read, while nursing. Thanks all of you amothers for keeping me entertained!
And if chat comes back, I'll be there!!

mo5

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 10:13 am
Raisin wrote:
Yael is lubavtich, so a lot of early posters were. I think a lot of posters have moved to facebook. I am on a few very active chabad fb groups. (and recognise a lot of posters from here! also on non chabad groups)

Was looking for the earlier post about private forums that have gone quiet.
I think WhatsApp has also changed things.
It’s another place for large and small conversations.
I’ve been here since 2008 when I had one of my kids and was looking for something to do while nursing. And have been off/on here ever since.

happyone

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:51 pm
I also miss on the bottom of the page the part where all users currently online were listed.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:01 pm
happyone wrote:
I also miss on the bottom of the page the part where all users currently online were listed.

Its on the desktop version.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:06 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Me. I think I joined in 2006. My neighbor told me about it. She was very, very active. We both ended up moving to different cities, so we lost touch. I don't think she is here anymore (or if she is, under a different name).

I don't remember the one from New Zealand with the ABC buggy, but I remember ewa-jo, tefilla, rosegold, crayon, motek, yesha settler, shallhevet, chocolate moose (who before that was sara something, I think), chavamom. wasn't there someone also chavelemomalah? Or something like that. I think the woman who owns the Shirtstop started her business through this site-- it was just her selling boys pants in her basement 10 years ago.

Also, when my son was 1.5 I bought a really cute personalized "al nitilas yadaim" cup from someone who sold them from her house in Crown Heights and she shipped it to me. that was a long time ago.... I think her name was Fraida.

Oh, and there was also BatyaD, mimsy, and queen. Also-- anyone remember DefyGravity? Atali or Atari or something-- her husband was Austrailan. BinahYetira, too. there was someone named Shayna from Pittsburg, and a woman who's username was Minivan or something like that.

Remember the advisors?

I learned about the HaKol B'seder hotline from this site. I don't think the hotline is around anymore.

I do remember defy gravity... she had a stillborn than she had twins.... or was it life’s great?
What about Zus?
Edited, to ad: Chavamom is still around and there was a chavelahmomelah.
Mimivan/minivan went through her divorce while on imamother.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:08 pm
I'm here since 2005. Though I haven't been very active in recent year.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:23 pm
By the way this site helped name my friend's pizza shop a few years ago Smile

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:26 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm here since 2005. Though I haven't been very active in recent year.

Mama bear , you have always been positive and pleasant! I remember your births and how much u have been through. All your advices to the pregnancy related issues were very knowledgeable and non judgmental. Coming from were u come from, u never told someone β€œstop complaining! Be happy u are pregnant!”
May Hashem keep blessing you!

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:45 pm
Raisin wrote:
I recognise people from Imamother on facebook. Some people I got to know in real life, or I already knew them, or I friended them on fb. (or their user name was very similar to thier real life name) They no longer post on imamother, but often are very active in fb groups. I am also active on fb groups but something about imamother is very riveting. I think the fact that people can be anonymous here makes a very big difference. Some fb groups allow anonymous posts but it is via a mod.

I've also recognized a number of posters from Imamother on FB. I haven't "friended" them or anything. Just recognized them.

Anyway, I don't FB much. I much prefer Imamother to FB groups. People here are so much gentler and less vicious. Some of the nastiness on FB really makes my head spin.

Also, I'm not a fan of posting personal info under my name for thousands of people to see. Not into that kind of oversharing. I prefer the semi-anonymity of Imamother.

curlyhead

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 1:15 am
Yes, I was member 25 or something and started with my real name. Can't believe it has been 15 years. Now I rarely come on, but I was addicted when it first started. I was pregnant with my teenager when I joined! Wow!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Mama bear , you have always been positive and pleasant! I remember your births and how much u have been through. All your advices to the pregnancy related issues were very knowledgeable and non judgmental. Coming from were u come from, u never told someone β€œstop complaining! Be happy u are pregnant!”
May Hashem keep blessing you!

aw thank you Smile.

Going through raising a severely autistic child and then having to place in in a non Jewish residential facility was 1000% X harder than going through all of the above Sad.

Also, a year ago I did another Frozen Embryo cycle and it failed. With that, I closed the door on my attempts at having more children and I went through about 10 months of depression after that. BH I'm doing better now.

We all have a life story! The least we can do is help others who have similar challenges, using our knowledge and experience.

Chaya123

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 10:54 am
I'm here since 2006 although have been much more active in the last year than ever.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 11:51 am
So how many members does the site have now? Veterans, does it seem to you as if there are more people posting or are you still seeing mostly a core group (although a different core group than before) of very active posters with occasional input from the rest?

happyone

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 12:57 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
aw thank you Smile.

Going through raising a severely autistic child and then having to place in in a non Jewish residential facility was 1000% X harder than going through all of the above Sad.

Also, a year ago I did another Frozen Embryo cycle and it failed. With that, I closed the door on my attempts at having more children and I went through about 10 months of depression after that. BH I'm doing better now.

We all have a life story! The least we can do is help others who have similar challenges, using our knowledge and experience.

I'm sorry for what youve hern through.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 5:21 pm
I'm here since 2009 after my child was born and I felt so depressed and in my family they've never heard about PPD and felt so alone. I came here and asked for support and there was one poster who answered so warm and that I could PM her. And I was so desperate for a bit of warmth I actually PM'd her and she answered me so warmly I still get teary eyed about it. (Remember I was a brand new member with no history of posting here she could've ignored me or report me as a troll but she didn't) it's almost 10 years later and I'll never forget it!!
If you see this IYamWhoIYam THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

buzzinmom

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 6:06 pm
Ha I remember the early days. Been here since 2008. Was very into it in the beginning and occasionally check back in here and there. I remember a member who lived in Chicago I think and her avatar was a girl with a boiling couldron next to her. She used to post a lot. Was that mimivan? Is she still here? ha remember she used to go to carpool in her target night gown that looked like a dress! I also remember Yeshasettler and others. Back in the day it was way small and I felt like I knew peoples personalities and the chatroom was quite fun. It felt more like a group of friends back in the day...

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:04 pm
Hi MBear, I have been a fan of yours since Haskafa.com and semgirl blog in 2004 Wave
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics