Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm dreaming of becoming a social worker, but how?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:05 pm
Now that my kids are getting older, I'm daydreaming about going back to school to become a social worker.

I doubt that I can attend school in person, due to all my kids' various schedules.

Is there a way I can get a degree online?

Where would I begin to research the schools, the cost, the requirements?

THANK YOU!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:00 pm
Sara schenirer has a program. Not park, crown heights, Lakewood, five towns and I think Monsey. There are also online options.
Regular classes take place at night.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:00 pm
There are plenty of online programs but fieldwork is in person. Do you have a bachelors degree?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:26 am
Social work is a very wide degree - what do you want to do with it?
That might narrow down the programs

ladYdI

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:28 am
Reb Bulka’s program is mostly online and classes on sundays

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:15 pm
As someone in the same general field - I wouldn't hire from these programs. I don't find they teach the same level of critical thinking skills as other programs and don't provide exposure to the vast array of possibilities you can encounter in this field. I also favor just in general in person programs to online versions. Having had taken a few online courses in my lifetime- they were much easier, less intense, and didn't teach as much as real in person classes. It was easier to fake your way through them (I didn't fake them but had classmates who clearly did and had friends who did their entire MA that way and it shows...) and those classes didn't provide the same back and forth classroom debate and discussion that in-person classes do.

Yeah you can do the classes but people hiring know where you got your degree and you will likely demonstrate it on your first day of fieldwork/practicum.

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:17 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
As someone in the same general field - I wouldn't hire from these programs. I don't find they teach the same level of critical thinking skills as other programs and don't provide exposure to the vast array of possibilities you can encounter in this field. I also favor just in general in person programs to online versions. Having had taken a few online courses in my lifetime- they were much easier, less intense, and didn't teach as much as real in person classes. It was easier to fake your way through them (I didn't fake them but had classmates who clearly did and had friends who did their entire MA that way and it shows...) and those classes didn't provide the same back and forth classroom debate and discussion that in-person classes do.

Yeah you can do the classes but people hiring know where you got your degree and you will likely demonstrate it on your first day of fieldwork/practicum.

There are live online classes, but the OP would have to commit to a schedule.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics